Profile for D Poisson > Reviews

Content by D Poisson

D Poisson "Perennialist" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Clevamama Clevabed Toilet Training Sleep Mat (White)
Clevamama Clevabed Toilet Training Sleep Mat (White)
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Did the trick, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very good quality product. Baby was very comfortable, the mat is flexible and not stiff in any way. Nice and soft, though choose to put a sheet over it just for extra comfort.

Bread and Jam for Frances (I Can Read - Level 2 (Quality))
Bread and Jam for Frances (I Can Read - Level 2 (Quality))
by Russell Hoban
Price: 2.35

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the original text, 30 Aug 2013
This version (I can read!) is not the original text. The text has been simplified and considerably shortened for early readers. If that's what you're looking for, then, yes, this is a fine book, but I was after Bread and Butter for Frances, one of the funniest, sweetest stories for toddlers available that's a pleasure for parents too.

Sumvision Indigo LED USB Multimedia Keyboard
Sumvision Indigo LED USB Multimedia Keyboard
Offered by Refresh Cartridges
Price: 14.20

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 25 Mar 2013
I was very interested in this keyboard, particularly after reading the reviews here. The keyboard has just arrived and... wow. What a disappointment. The top and bottom edges are nice and shiny, but this is where any suggestion of quality ends. The keys seem to be painted black with cheap black poster-paint. You know, the type that go powdery after they dry? Light leaks through the edges of the individual key cubes, and I don't mean between the keys, I mean through the keys themselves because the black paint is not quite covering enough. The feel is awful, I'm half expecting to have black fingers from the dodgy paint-work. Like typing on chalk or slate. Not a nice feel at all. Responsiveness is ok, the space key seems to push in too deep, and my thumb keeps hitting the edge of the keyboard when I use it.

The color of the light underneath that shines through is a very nice colour, and the frame around the awful keys is actually quite nice, but I'm afraid that just can't make up for the horrible typing experience and the cheap paint-job.

Shame. Looks like I'm going to have to wait for my birthday to get the Logitech after all.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2014 4:28 PM GMT

Sony 9.4 inch Tablet S (Nvidia Tegra 2 1GHz, 1GB RAM, 32GB Memory, Android 3.1)
Sony 9.4 inch Tablet S (Nvidia Tegra 2 1GHz, 1GB RAM, 32GB Memory, Android 3.1)
Offered by TODO! TODO!
Price: 299.99

3.0 out of 5 stars After two months use... I wish I'd got the prime., 23 Mar 2012
I wish I'd spent the extra 100 quid and got the asus transformer prime... Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of the tranformer prime's poor GPS response(the main gripe with that tablet), but I had no idea how little tablets actually get to use GPS unlike phones that use them all the time... infact, in the two months I've had the Sony S, I haven't turned on the GPS once. I went for the Sony S because of its features,and sure, it's a decent tablet, but on the whole I'm disapointed with what should have been its best features:

The external SD card slot is used exclusively for importing data to the internal SD card (which you can't access), so the idea of pocket hard-drives is dashed. The USB out is micro- USB so you'll need an adapter to attach external hard-drives.
The infra-red remote is useless, works with my Panasonic TV after I manually programmed it, but refused to work with my Logitech z-5500 sound system, and my boxee box uses a Bluetooth remote not supported by the remote app(only IR remotes) same with my ps 3... so actually, I'm still left with 4 remotes and my TV remote doesn't need booting up... so epic fail there.
Ps3 remote compatibility is a myth (try a quick web search an find out for yourself) the games included are rubbish and really not designed for a touch-screen. I have to hide it under a teeshirt while it charges at night as the green email notification led lights up the room when it flashes.
It can only be held three ways, the fourth (with the rounded end down) is considered upside-down, so you have to have the sharp edge digging into your palms all the time.

I won't go over the positive aspects which abound elsewhere, I just thought this little run down of what's not so perfect might be useful.

Finding Sky
Finding Sky
by Joss Stirling

4.0 out of 5 stars My wife loved this!, 17 Feb 2012
This review is from: Finding Sky (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my wife after she finished the twilight saga, and she told me that it was equally as involving and exciting. A good gap stop to fill the void as she waits for the final film.

Nature Babycare Eco Sensitive Wipes - 10 x Packs of 70 (700 Wipes)
Nature Babycare Eco Sensitive Wipes - 10 x Packs of 70 (700 Wipes)
Price: 25.50

4.0 out of 5 stars very good for my son's sensitive skin, 17 Feb 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My son was coming up in rashes with the ordinary kind of baby wipes, and while these don't smell wite as nice, his rashes have cleeared up nicely since we started using them. Just wish they were a little cheaper...

Edexcel GCSE Religious Studies Unit 16D: Mark's Gospel Student Book
Edexcel GCSE Religious Studies Unit 16D: Mark's Gospel Student Book
by Mr Hugh Thomas
Price: 12.71

2.0 out of 5 stars As an RE teacher who has used this book..., 18 July 2011
At the time when our department ordered these books in, it was the only one on the market with the new GCSE specifications.
It was completed in a hurry by a team who clearly weren't at all up to date with either the form nor the content of the exam.
Mistakes abound, one that comes to mind is that the reader is told that Caiphas [the high priest] ripped Jesus's garments, when the original text actually states that he rips his own.
None of the exam techniques are covered, other than a couple of practise questions in between each section, ONE of which is methodically answered as an example of how to answer that particular type of question.
The relation between the stories, the themes and the potential questions are hardly covered at all.
In short, this is a brief, inaccurate summary of the significance of each of the key texts, with little to no regard to how they might be applied in an exam situation.

Philips Imageo Tealights Six-Set
Philips Imageo Tealights Six-Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons, 2 Nov 2010
The pros:
- Great alternative to tea lights where tea lights wouldn't be prcticle: flammable environment, children on the loose, under a low shelf, etc.
- They look very warm and soothing
- The flicker is realistic and irregular.

The Cons:
- Sometimes take some persuading to turn on and off - the 'tilt 90 degrees to operate' seems to work only some of the time. I find myself shaking an average of two of them (not always the same ones!) furiously to get them to turn on/off.
- The 'flames' are actually little white cones. You couldn't really present them as they are, they definitely need some enhancing. I got rid of the frosted glass holders which didn't really do enough to hide their fake nature and got some candle holders made of plaster with tiny holes through which the 'flickering' light shines. That really looks superb.
- They are to canle flames what auto-tune is to music. Does a good job, but you can tell that it's way too perfect. Even with the irregular flicker, when you have them all in a row, all flickering at different times with no draught, it just looks not quite right. Not bad, on the contrary, it looks very nice, just not quite like candles.

Overall:
They serve my purposes perfectly, they do an amazingly realistic job without being the real thing which has its advantages and its disadvantages.

Winnie the Pooh (Cover to Cover)
Winnie the Pooh (Cover to Cover)
by A. A. Milne
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars great rendition, 2 Nov 2010
The voice is a little higher/younger than the one that I used to listen to as a boy, but the characterisation is empathetic and accurate, I think, allowing Milne's endearingly dry humour to shine as is its due. I would recommend this clever, absurdly witty and rewarding, true-to-edward-bear reading (unabridged) any time over the patronising, condescending tones of the Winnie-for-idiots i'm-funny-because-i'm-fat, buy-my-colourful-merchandise drivel by Disney...

Frederick.
Frederick.
by Leo Lionni
Price: 3.78

2.0 out of 5 stars German language, 7 Oct 2010
This review is from: Frederick. (Paperback)
Be aware, this is the german version of the book! Watch out for the small red square in the bottom right corner of the cover which is the logo of the german publishing company.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4