Profile for Captain Danger > Reviews

Captain Danger

Jawbone JamBox Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Black Diamond
Jawbone JamBox Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Black Diamond

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab fab fab fab fab fab!!!!, 1 May 2011
I first saw this product in one of the big stores of a certain computer products giant (that's a fruit that rhymes with 'Dapple') where I got to play around with it. I had been frustrated for some time that I increasingly possess digital music on my phone and various other devices but had no means to play them.

I flicked the switch on the side of the little Jambox and took about 10 seconds to sync it to my phone. After that, I streamed the music using bluetooth to the powerful little speakers. I moved all over the store and discovered that I could be over 20 feet away and my friend who was with me could still hear the music. So I came online and ordered it (although only saved a few pounds).

I am so pleased with this little box! The sound quality is very good with a good quality bass. I can understand that some other reviewers have not found it loud enough, but then you can hardly expect massive sound from something barely bigger than the average TV remote control. Personally, I am pleased enough with the sound when I want music on the go. The advantage of being completely wireless also is that I can listen to it in the bathroom with no danger of killing myself if it were to inadvertently fall into the bath!

The build quality is very high. The carrying case is smart, elegant and appropriately over-designed. My only minor gripe is that the USB adaptor that plugs into Jambox itself looks quite flimsy and perhaps easy to break; I think most people will have to be careful not to damage it if they are carrying it in their luggage as I intend to do.

One of my favourite little features of the Jambox is that when you press the round button on top of the device, it tells you how much battery it has left.

Pluses: Beautifully designed. Easy to set up. Impressively detailed sound from the two 2-watt speakers. Also great battery life.

Minuses: Definitely not loud enough if you want to throw a house party with dozens of guests. But plenty loud enough if you're having a dinner with say 8 guests and want some background music.

Samsung CLP-315W Wireless Colour Laser Printer
Samsung CLP-315W Wireless Colour Laser Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice colour prints, but won't print wirelessly - WORKS NOW!, 18 Aug. 2010
I did originally give this printer 2 stars, but have since upped it to 4 stars as the replacement printer I got works very nicely. However, still not 5 stars as a printer should work without me having to spend 3 hours on support lines and then insisting I get sent a new one!

The call centre used to be in Edinburgh and they were extremely helpful.

However, as of the beginning of August 2010, the customer support centre has moved to Cairo, and they seem to have less knowledge about the product.

The customer support centre were unable to help me so they sent an engineer to visit me. After 2 hours working on the printer, he couldn't get it to work.

I have asked the seller (Best-Gig) to arrange either a replacement or a full refund.

UPDATE on 20 Aug 2010: Best-Gig dispatched a new printer the next day, which arrived on the following day. And this one worked straight out of the box.

So even though I had a problem with the first printer, I'm now happy with the replacement printer. And Best-Gig provided very good customer service.

Tip: if you do have a problem with your printer and need to speak to Samsung customer support, make sure you get a reference number for your call as Best-Gig need it in the likelihood that you should need a replacement.

Manage Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide
Manage Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide
by Gillian Butler

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensible, 28 July 2010
This book deserves to do well. Full of practical advice on most topics to do with the mind, for example:

Dealing with anger

Dealing with anxiety

Managing anger in relationships

Handling stress

Coping with loss and bereavement

Sleeping better

Handling alcoholism

Of course, the book can't work miracles. It is, though, an excellent first step if you can follow the advice and apply it consistently.

Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behaviour
Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behaviour
by Ori Brafman

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and educational!, 24 July 2010
From the back cover:

'Why would an experienced pilot disregard his training and the rules of the aviation industry, resulting in the deaths of 584 people?'

'Why would a group of highly-skilled doctors fail to diagnose an evidently sick child, with tragic consequences?'

'Why are we all more likely to fall in love when we feel in danger?'

This book is set up a little like a murder mystery. The authors talk about a scenario, something irrational that happened but shouldn't have happened. The authors then explain it, referencing research into how the brain works. Very enjoyable!