Profile for Secret Squirrel > Reviews

Secret Squirrel (Switzerland)

Umskiptar (Jewel Case)
Umskiptar (Jewel Case)

4.0 out of 5 stars The king of black metal, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Umskiptar (Jewel Case) (Audio CD)
If you liked Fallen, you will probably like this.

On Fallen, the stand-out track was Jeg Faller, which is classic Varg because he is able to take a relatively simple idea and craft it into a great piece of music. Some of the other tracks were quite forgettable, but Jeg Faller is worth the price of that CD alone.

On Umskiptar I haven't really spotted a stand-out track, but unlike Fallen, the standard of all the tracks is very high. It is very similar to Fallen in terms of production (i.e. good scratchy guitars, drums low in the mix, professional mastering etc.).

Varg has decided to add a weird spoon-tapping sound to some of the songs, which is probably some traditional Scandinavian thing. It takes a bit of getting used to, but works well in the end (after 10 or so listens).

All in all, an enjoyable album, proving that Vikernes still deserves to be considered 'the king of black metal' - something which I think few true black metal fans would deny.

Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like extreme metal drumming... buy this!, 2 Sept. 2003
Extremely fast, heavy and melodic. All in all, a brilliantly produced album. If you like extreme metal drumming, you'll enjoy Nick Barker's impressive speed and precision.

"Kings of the Carnival Creation" sends shivers down my spine...

S & M
S & M

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better, 24 Mar. 2002
This review is from: S & M (Audio CD)
I just don't like this. I have tried to, but I don't.

Like my fellow reviewers I thought that Metallica + full orchestra would be awesome. For years I had thought up orchestral parts to go along with Metallica's already 'symphonic' music.

And obviously so had Michael Kamen (RIP)(conductor and composer of the orchestral parts). But the orchestra kind of swamps everything apart from the vocals. And it doesn't really add anything new, just takes existing licks and bellows them out on brass or strings. I dunno... the cellos could have laid down such an amazing "chugga chugga" line, the violins could have attempted to emulate some of Kirk's guitar work... could have but don't.

What's more annoying is that often there are 'fills' by the orchestra that, to my mind, very often fail to fit in with the spirit of the songs. All those violin bank swells, ugh!

Finally, the sleeve notes give away a snippet of information that I think is important in understanding what went wrong here. The musicians in the orchestra essentially just turned up on the day and played whatever Kamen had written for them. I suppose that's how orchestras have to work, but if I had been running this project I'd have given them all every single one of Metallica's albums (and some beer) and made them listen to them repeatedly for a month before letting them near the concert hall.

It must have been a lot of fun to experience this live... but stone cold sober, on CD, this is a mess of sound coming together from two very different directions and creating a not very spectacular collision.

I don't know. It was such a good idea, but like Apocalyptica's "Plays Metallica on four cellos" this somehow fails to live up to my expectations.

But guys - please don't let that stop you having another go !!!

Plays Metallica By Four Cellos
Plays Metallica By Four Cellos
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars "Hooked on 'tallica", 24 Mar. 2002
I bought this album when it first came out and couldn't wait to hear the cellists' versions of classics like the middle (solo) section of Master of Puppets.

And I wasn't disappointed... I love cellos and they sound pretty good here.

But having one of the cellos follow Hetfield's vocal line is SO ANNOYING ! For me it just sounds rather laughable - kind of like those awful "classical plays pops" albums that used to come out in the 70s.

Apocalyptica - I do not doubt your sincerity, your musical skills or your devotion to the amazing works of Metallica, but if you decide to do another one of these - PLEASE - just play the guitar and bass parts. Don't try to copy the drums, and please don't copy the vocal line !