Profile for michael raes > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Heaven & Earth
Heaven & Earth

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor., 23 July 2014
This review is from: Heaven & Earth (Audio CD)
Listened now for the fourth time and couldn't make it to the end. First time I fell asleep and that says a lot. Energy : non, drive : very poor , singing : good but too lame and too much, percussion : mediocre , don't expect anything special, bass : good , guitar : a lick here and there but also here far under what is possible, keyboards : nothing to remember. All in all I don't understand this. I was waiting with a lot of anticipation remembering what Glass Hammer with Jon Davison did on the album 'IF'. If this new Yes was half as good as that one it would already been better than Fly from here. But no , this is a great letdown. I personally find it even worse than Open your eyes, at least that one had a few songs that catched my ears such as Universal garden or From the balcony. My feeling is that being on the road all the time does tend to try to spend as less time possible together in the studio to work over ideas . The first idea is propably the only and the best and then they go to the next try-out. I found the last tour even not that good. The idea was good , but if I were a musician I would'nt want to play every day the same songs over and over again in same sequence during a whole tour , it would bore me , it would shut off my brain , it would be like driving on cruise control, where is the challenge ? No , this album is at the back of their catalogue because no single song does spring out or is worth remembering. And mind you , I'm a Yes-fan , I've seen all their shows since 1998 and even got a copy of their Time and a word book - signed. So sorry Chris, Alan, Steve, Jon and Geoff but this is a poor album. Ok let's crack up my state of mind and put Steven Wilson's formitastic The Raven that refused to sing on the sacd player ! Now that's a reference album.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2014 10:36 AM BST

Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith
Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 5 Dec 2013
The show: great . The music : great . The sound : could be better . The video : not so good . The show , let's face it is fantastic and according to the voting in Prog Magazine, second in place ( that is for the Royal Albert Hall venue ) , first place for Steven Wilson's show. I saw both shows in Belgium. I won't forget the SH show very rapidly as was it only for dropping my electronic viewfinder between the public , a 250 euro loss damn and camera back in the pocket , so no personal memories. Now, I bought this item thinking that the DVDs would uphold a 5.1 version audio only. So great was my surprise finding that video was included. However I find the video rather poor. It might be that my 65inch Panasonic is ofcourse very precise and shows every detail . But I have movies in my collection on dvd which have almost blu-ray quality , but this release comes no way close . At a close-up of Steve's 12 string , the strings are hardly to be counted. What is more strange is that (correct me if I'm wrong ) there are no blu-ray releases from SH at all. If I compare this to f.i. Steven Wilsons outcome on video , than SH was a long way to go for video, sound and mixing.The capturing of the concert : good , but not outstanding , I have the feeling that some cameras were too far away from the set and had to zoom in. The mixing sound : some instruments are down in the mix or not very clear. Here again I have to refer to SW who releases top notch products even when remixing King Crimson or Yes. Finally , is this item to be recommended : yes , sure it is for everybody who has seen the show or wants some footage of old Genesis songs, because it seems that the arrival of a dvd from the Canadian band The musical box who perform outstanding Genesis shows is still not in the pipeline due to ??? 1 star dropped for the video quality. So please , please ,please with cream on top , can we have blu-ray releases in full HD quality ?

Drive Home [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region A & B]
Drive Home [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region A & B]
Dvd ~ Steven Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars more than satisfied, 5 Dec 2013
I had my reserves to buy this due to the mixed bag. Video , live & pure audio ? Well , it is big time ok. The quality of the videos is superbe, the live images aswell and the audio also. I think this item is perticular interesting for people who are not yet familiar with SW-works and get here a nice package which leaves you wanting more. So hopefully we get a live concert on bluray of the show as it would be a nice thingy to have in my collection since I saw Wilson live in Leuven ( Belgium ) four days after his Royal Albert Hall concert and boy his concert was tight in playing. So is this blu-ray advisable / yes sure it is. Recommended at full.

The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Steven Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars just plainly superbe, 1 Dec 2013
Most certainly the best buy this year . The music is fantastic , the playing superbe. One can hear clearly that he wrote this stuff for this band. If grace for drowning made me feel a bit of " why not 1 cd ? " , this one is perfect in timing. What's more ? The band is even better live. The live versions from Grace or better worked out on stage , the live versions for The Raven or more in line with the originals but or also better . Nick Beggs : saw him live with Steve Hackett and here he fits perfectly. Anything bad ? no . This album will be best album for 2013 20 and who knows , will ever enter my top 10 of best albums of all time, and then it will sit in the list with CTTE and Lark's tongues in Aspic ,both remastered by ? yes SW . Can't wait for the next release , and no I'm not writing for the managment of SW .

The Friends Of Mr Cairo
The Friends Of Mr Cairo

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 13 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Friends Of Mr Cairo (Audio CD)
This disc has only 1 flaw and that's the song Back to school, all the rest is great stuff.A remaster version however would be nice, it deserves it.

A Scarcity of Miracles - A King Crimson ProjeKct
A Scarcity of Miracles - A King Crimson ProjeKct

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring boring boring, 13 Jun 2011
This is about the most boring record I bought since years and the sooner it goes out of my collection the better. The sax is anoying all the time and for me there is no single song on the disc that catches my interest. For those thinking that I'm too fixed on the other Crimson stuff, forget it . I've got a lot of Robert Rich, Steve Roach, Brian Eno,Klaus Schultze etc, soI'm pretty used to laid-back stuff. I even don't know in which direction this is goin', Robert Wyatt at his most boring is even better. Nope, this doesn't do it for me.Sad.

Working Nights
Working Nights

5.0 out of 5 stars Moody, 23 Sep 2010
This review is from: Working Nights (Audio CD)
I used to have this album on tape around mid-80's I guess.Always loved it and still do on this cd-release.Nice pop-jazz album as in the same league as early EBTG and Sade. No , even better.

Storia Di Un Minuto
Storia Di Un Minuto

5.0 out of 5 stars very good remaster, 23 Sep 2010
This review is from: Storia Di Un Minuto (Audio CD)
Perfect remastered album, very good music. If you're a fan of Nursery Crime or Foxtrot from Genesis than this is for you aswell.

The Look of Love : The Burt Bacharach Collection [Box Set]
The Look of Love : The Burt Bacharach Collection [Box Set]

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further, 23 Sep 2010
If there is anything you want as to very good music and songs ,look no further , because this 3cd box has it.

Once Above A Time [DVD] [2005]
Once Above A Time [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Steve Hackett
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 23 Sep 2010
I already got several concert-dvd's from Steve and I can easily rate this latest release as the best. The set-up of songs is very good, the sound is very good, the staging is good, the playing is good. What can one else want ? A blu-ray version, yes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3