Profile for Antonia R. > Reviews

Content by Antonia R.

Antonia R. (London United Kingdom)

Apple ME293B/A 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Intel Quad Core i7 2.0GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB HDD, Iris Pro Graphics, Mac OS X)
Offered by Gadget Heaven
Price: 1,278.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Apple after 30 years and I love it!, 19 Jun 2014
The first computer I used as a child was an Apple II around 1980. I used Apples for several years then switched to PCs and didn't look back, largely because of the price point. My last laptop was a disastrous Acer (running Windows8) which was enough to make me reconsider trying Apple again and I'm *so* glad that I did. Now a mother in my mid-40s with an IT career behind me, what I want from a computer is that it *works* - fast, efficient and does the job it's meant to. For the first time in as long as I can remember my computer is ready within a second of me switching it on. It syncs seamlessly between my iPhone and iPad (oh yes, I've gone the whole hog and it's wonderful to have my emails, contacts, photos etc. on all my devices). It works. It looks good. It feels solid. The screen resolution is marvellous (hubby and I have used it to watch films many times instead of using a TV screen -- it's that good). The keyboard feels substantial and is a pleasure to use. It charges fast and the charge lasts for ages even with a lot of use.

I *know* that it's possible to sync up a PC with an Android or Windows phone and tablet -- I've done it before but it's never worked as effortlessly as the Apple set up does. My 16 year old techie Godson shook his head in disgust when he heard I'd embraced Apple -- he loves to play with Linux. I explained to him that I'm an old lady ;-) and am past the stage of wanting to tinker with my computer to get the best out of it: I simply want to switch it on and have it work perfectly. That's what this computer does. For years I've spent far too much time optimising my computers or de-bugging them: my time is worth more than that and I love my easy to use, switch your brain off Apple. I can't ever imagine going back to something lesser.

The bundled software is excellent and I've found prices on the Apple store to be much more reasonable that I was led to believe when I was using Windows/Android. I'm told that games are more expensive on Apple, but this isn't something I have any experience of.

Note: I bought this computer 6 weeks ago and have been putting it through it's paces since then. I will update the review if I find something I don't like, but for now it's five stars.

Tech 21 Premium Leather Slip Case with D30 Protection for 15 inch Macbook Pro
Tech 21 Premium Leather Slip Case with D30 Protection for 15 inch Macbook Pro
Offered by B2B TRADING
Price: 44.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Love you MacBook? Get it this case!, 19 Jun 2014
I use this as "at home" protection for my MacBook Pro -- it's sturdy, easy to slip the laptop into and looks smart. I'm not sure how protective it would be out and about in, for example, a backpack, but for my needs (basic protection from dust and bumps) it's perfect.

I was a little miffed to discover that the "premium leather" isn't actually real leather -- I'm still not 100% certain but I think it's synthetic. Having said that it looks and feels smart and sturdy: there's nothing plastic-y about it, and as it's protecting my laptop perfectly well I'm happy.

Sterling Silver Miraculous Medal with silver chain - perfect gift for the Christening or birth of a baby girl. Presented in a velvet lined case
Offered by Silver Basket
Price: 21.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Miraculous Medal, 19 Jun 2014
Good quality, clearly embossed sterling silver Miraculous medal on what appears to be a good quality sterling silver chain. Makes a nice First Holy Communion gift and good value.

Unqualified Education: A Practical Guide to Learning at Home Age 11-18
Unqualified Education: A Practical Guide to Learning at Home Age 11-18
by Gareth Lewis
Price: 12.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Unscholarly and sloppy, not particularly helpful, 19 Jun 2014
I loved "One to One: A Practical Guide to Learning at Home Age 0-11" -- it was a genuinely useful resource with loads of practical ideas to make home education fun and varied -- and I was hoping to have a similar experience with this book. Sadly not: whilst there are a few fun bits and pieces (the cookery section is good, but not worth buying the book for) most of this is opinion masquerading as fact in areas of politics, history and religion. It reads a bit like something cribbed from the Guardian's PassNotes, but more biased and less accurate. The literature section is sloppy as well and simply states the obvious. With the ubiquity of the Internet, any "practical guide" to home educating has to have something unique to offer either in terms of quality or approach. This book has neither and it's frankly depressing to think that anyone might use it as a "guide to home education". Unsurprisingly, our copy was returned for refund.

Acer Aspire V5-571 15.6-inch Laptop - Black (Intel Core i5 3317U 1.7GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-bit)

2.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy outer shell appalling customer support, 20 April 2013
I have had laptops for 18 years and this is undoubtedly the worst one I've owned: it's actually the only bad one, and it is a disaster. I'm writing this review on my iPad as the screen on my ACER is currently smashed -not because it was dropped, but because putting any pressure on the casing behind the screen when the laptop is closed (for example, picking it up with one hand with the lid closed) is enough to fracture the screen. My machine doesn't leave the house-it's used as an alternative to a desktop computer and occasionally moves from desk to dining room table and back.

I've had endless issues with the machine switching itself on and off at random, which have not been resolved by a destructive reboot and reset to factory settings. ACER customer services are awful and have so far not been helpful at all suggesting resetting (done) and downloading patches (done) which make no difference to the machine's problems.

The screen isn't covered by warrantee - which is fair enough, as it is technically accidental damage - but it is ridiculously ill-protected and frankly I'm loathe to have it repaired until I can find some kind of protection for the plastic fascia on the back of the screen, as I'm positive that this will happen again (the machine was not dropped, or ill used in any way).

Any plus points? Well, the display is large and clear and the speakers, while tinny, are still better than those on many laptops. The keyboard feels cheap compared to previous machines that I've owned, but that was the sort of compromise I expected for the price, given how good the spec is. It's worth noting that the touchpad is highly over-sensitive and needs to be set to the least sensitive setting in order to be useable: this is a problem commonly reported with this machine on various forums,

Were it not for the problems with the casing and customer service, I would have given this a much higher rating. That a machine costing the best part of 500 has a back fascia so flimsy that ordinary handling will break the screen, is completely unacceptable. That the company that sell and provide "customer service" for this machine refuse to do any more than verbally acknowledge their customer's dissatisfaction "we're sorry that you're unhappy with the quality..." means that your hard earned cash would be better spent elsewhere.

Sylvanian Families Celebration Cat Family
Sylvanian Families Celebration Cat Family
Offered by jadlamracingmodels
Price: 26.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Large family of cats - perfect for a large family of children!, 2 Jan 2013
Coming from a larger than average family our children don't like the four-animal Sylvanian family sets: they can relate to this this one much better ;-)

This is one of the cuter ones that I've seen - as always the clothes and accessories are adorable, but a bit fiddly. Some gender bending clothing choices as well with brother wearing bright pink dungarees!

As always with Sylvanian families: loads of play value across a wide age range.

Sylvanian Families Burgundy Family Car
Sylvanian Families Burgundy Family Car
Offered by Equinox Japan | Shopping from JAPAN!
Price: 9.80

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a car, it's red, it's for Sylvanians..., 2 Jan 2013
...and if you have a 3 year old who loves cars, the colour red and Sylvanians, they'll love it! A week on from Christmas it seems fairly robust - has stood up to a lot of playing. There's room for up to 6 figures - 4 big ones and two babies (the babies go in baby seats that clip onto the back of the front seats). The baby seat "belts" are a bit fiddly, and the elastic on one popped out on the first day, but this doesn't affect play value (and I don't think that seatbelts are compulsory in Sylvania).

I have four children 3-10 and they've all had fun with this - I like the retro styling!

iGadgitz 'Portfolio' Red PU Leather Case Cover for Apple iPad 2, 3 & New iPad 4 with Retina Display 16GB 32GB 64GB. With Unique Lens Protection System and Smart Cover Sleep Function + Screen Protector
Offered by iGadgitz
Price: 13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money!, 2 Jan 2013
Very pleased with this purchase - have had no problems with it. High quality materials (I usually hate synthetic products and was a bit worried that this would feel cheap and nasty, but it didn't): the leatherette is soft and pleasant to the touch with a slight mat finish. The red is very bright and cheerful - makes it easy to find a misplaced iPad. The cover opens up to support the iPad in two positions: one slightly elevated for typing and the other supporting it upright to watch videos etc. Both work well. Clips, locks and magnetic on/off switch also work well. My only (minor) complaint was that the snap-closure flap protecting the camera lens ends up in pictures unless you hold it back - but TBH that's a small price to pay for having the lens well-protected the rest of the time (and few cases offer this protection). General protection offered by the case is very good (corners are protected, the iPad is well-secured within the case). It isn't as small and elegant as some other cases but does offer much better protection than the very slimline ones.

I was expecting cheap and cheerful when I bought this - actually I got cheap and good quality. I would definitely buy another were I to need one.

Large Garden Statues Art - Religious Virgin Mary Sculpture
Large Garden Statues Art - Religious Virgin Mary Sculpture
Offered by Statues & Sculptures Online
Price: 309.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - more a nymph than the BVM!, 20 Aug 2012
I bought one of these and had to have it sent back: the factory that makes them had changed the design - the face was slightly different (not as nice) but the deal-breaker was the fact that the whole bottom half had been changed for a Greek Nymph-style with her left leg exposed up to the thigh! I took photos of the one delivered and got the company who sold it to compare it to the sales photo (the same photo is used no matter who sells these - they're all dispatched from the same place not matter who retails them apparently) - and I was offered a refund and had the awful thing collected.

Presumably if you're looking at this product you want a nice statue of Our Lady... not something showing a lot of leg. Caveat emptor!

Falling Angels
Falling Angels
by Tracy Chevalier

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, elegant and atmospheric, 2 Aug 2002
This review is from: Falling Angels (Paperback)
Quite simply un-put-down-able. The opener is a knock-out and the rest of the plot quietly powerful: a wonderful read. The prose trips lightly from the page, beautifully crafted but never self-conscious.
Marvellously imagined and extremely compelling -- I'm left with images of thousands of white dresses rustling through Hyde Park, of two little girls signaling at each other across a distance from their bedroom windows, of the light vanishing as the sides of a grave collapse.
A wonderful third novel -- I can't wait to read her next one!