Profile for Peter > Reviews

Barely Legal
Barely Legal
Offered by Hatherley's

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Furious - it's a top album, 19 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Barely Legal (Audio CD)
There is so much anger and energy in 'Barely Legal' and it's what I am looking for in any punk album. I do like some of the later Hives material but you could argue it's more watered down whereas this album may not be beyond say 'Tyranosaurus Hives' in the songwriting department but is much harder and faster if that's what you're looking for.
This is the best Hives CD I've come across yet hands down.

HMS Donovan
HMS Donovan

5.0 out of 5 stars The good outweighs the average, 25 July 2005
This review is from: HMS Donovan (Audio CD)
I've been listening to this set a lot recently. Bear in mind it is much longer than most of the other DOnovan albums and those contain tracks which are okay but which the album could've parhaps done without. In other words, I think if a bit of fat was trimmed from it, I'd be saying it's one of my possible all-time favourites. Having said that, I feel there are some really beautiful songs on here. There's quite a few tracks which are essentially musical translations of several famous children's poets/writers and most of them work really well. My favourite tracks on the album are 'Jabberwocky', 'The Little White Road', Celia Of The Seals, 'Queen Mab', 'The Song Of Wandering Aengus' and 'The Seller Of Stars. Donovan's vocals are superb throughout and some of the guitar playing is amazing (I do wonder on some tracks, as to wether or not they have 2 guitar parts, overdubbed, or just one guitar, played with great skill. Either way, it's hard for me to envision better use of the acoustic guitar).
I've heard some terrific music from this chap, and I remain undecided as to wether this is the best Donovan set I've bought yet. WHat I can say is that although this CD contains it's fair share of medoicre tracks, the better tracks reign supreme and the magical, folk-esque theme throughout the album is enough to warrant a very healthy 4.5/5 star rating. I hope to hear many albums of a similar nature in the future.

Fairytales and Colours
Fairytales and Colours
Offered by dutchtoni

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect introduction to an amazing artist, 2 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Fairytales and Colours (Audio CD)
This CD was my first taster of Donovan's music and my oh my - what a corker.
The songs are very raw (usually just the vocal and acoustic guitar) but the emotion is so strong and there's a kind of magic about the writing. I like every song (which is unusual because on most albums there's at least 1 track I don't like) but for me the highlights are 'The Summer Day Reflection Song', 'The Little Tin Soldier', 'Jersey Thursday' and 'Goldwatch Blues', oh, and the instrumental 'Tangerine Puppet'.
To sum up this compilation in several words: bohemian, catchy (but also timeless), and ultimate 'feel good' music.
It's surely one of the best collections I've ever bought and I had the pleasure of catching the man himself in concert tonight. Delicious!

A Gift From A Flower To A Garden
A Gift From A Flower To A Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd give it 4 and a half out of 5 but what the hell!, 1 Jun. 2005
Here we have another fine album from one of my now all-time favourite singer-songwriters. Be aware the two albums are distinctly different: the first is a collection of more upbeat and more commercial material (most of which was added as the record label felt the music of the second half of this album wasn't commercial enough but I'll come to that in a moment) and the second half is mainly folky, acoustic material, with 'songs for children' as Donovan himself put it.
For me, the first half of the album is good, but the second half is amazing. Check 'The Enchanted Gypsy', 'Isle Of Islay' and 'Lullaby Of Spring', wonderful songs about nature, enchanting tales and the passing of the seasons. It's perhaps not as surreal as the music on 'Sunshine Superman' but as the cover art suggests, Donovan's love of the seaside really shines through on this set.
Whilst I am quite a fan of music with the darker emotions I can't help but appreciate this guy's mastery of writing about all that is good and beutiful in this world. I wouldn't quite say it's 5 out of 5 for me because of how I feel about the first 10 songs overall but this CD is worth the last 12 alone. Highly recommended.

Sunshine Superman
Sunshine Superman

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome CD!, 1 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Sunshine Superman (Audio CD)
This guy turned out to be a real surpries package for me. A fine example of a songwriter I've come across who has seemingly little credit or praise, yet turns out to be one of the most amazing musicians I've heard yet.
Of the 4 Donovan CDs I now have (3 of which I love, the 4th, which is the Mellow Yellow album, has some fine moments) I'd say this is the finest. Donovan's songwriting is on hot form on this one, his vocals are beautiful and there is an awful lot of musical colour on the album: sitars, hand percussion, rock n roll style drums, guitars, strings, woodwind instruments all swirled in a mix of love, surrealism, arthurian or fantasy-like tales and good vibes.
My favourite tracks are the title track 'Sunshine Superman' (One of Donovan's best known singles), 'Legend Of a Child Girl Linda' (a gorgeous song which I think could be about somebody he's loved for most of his life, his wife!) 'Three King Fishers' (a wonderful sitar coated affair, need I say more?) and 'Guinevere' (a tale of Arthurian legend with swirling sitars. Fab stuff!)
I must say I am a big fan of Donovan's earlier, Pye Records orientated folky material, but I find this album irresistable with it's whimsical songs and multi-coloured soundscapes. For me this guy is the ultimate musical portayer of sunshine, child-like innocence, love and all of the 60's optimism (which I feel is just as, if not more relevant, today). Faintly ridiculous? A cheap Bob Dylan? No, not in my books!
I'll continue to buy chunks of his work and I have one of his Beat Cafe tour dates to look forward to tomorrow, can't wait!!

The Essential Bob Dylan
The Essential Bob Dylan
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Highly disappointing, 1 Jun. 2005
This review is from: The Essential Bob Dylan (Audio CD)
I bought this album, expecting to be completely blown away. I'd already heard a handful of Dylan songs and thought (and still think) that 'All Along The Watchtower' was a very good song. Of course I was well aware of his massive, biblical status as a songwriter, but when I played this album it turned out to be a big let-down.
I thought the first five tracks on the first disc were okay (I like 'It's All Over Now Baby Blue') however after that there struggled to any tracks which wion my attention. Later in the CD there is 'All Along The Watchtower' which I really like, and then, but that's where the interest ended for me.
Halfway through the second disc I was completely bored with the set and I think I've listened to this collection not more than 3 times and it could be a long time before I listen to it again. I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with millions of music fans and say that I don't think Dylan is a great songwriter. Yes, I'm well aware that many musicians quote him as a major inspiration but for me this collection has simply failed to convince me of this songwriting cred. and has done nothing to encourage me to buy any of his other albums or compilations.
Yes, of course 'everyone has their opinion' but to be honest, if I'd only come across half the rave reviews and praise over Bob Dylan, then I might've given this set a 3 star rating. A friend of mine used the arguement 'but he was a breakthrough in the 60's so you have to consider the impact he made then' but to that I say 'it's largely irrelevent. I bought the album and I found it largely unentertaining'. The opinions of others mean little in context with that.
The lesson here? DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE! MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND ABOUT WETHER A MUSICIAN IS GREAT OR NOT, WHICH IS IN ITSELF, DEBATEABLE.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2011 1:16 AM GMT

Yeah Yeah Yeahs E.P
Yeah Yeah Yeahs E.P
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome CD!!!, 16 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Yeah Yeah Yeahs E.P (Audio CD)
I think 'Bang', 'Miles Away' and 'Art Star' are awesome tracks, and the other two are decent. I think the singer is great, I think the guitar work is great & has a very unique sound, and the drumming is also great. I love the raw, rocky and sexual energy of this band's music and am eagerly looking forward to their second album. By the way I would recommend the purchase of their first album, 'Fever To Tell'.

Sony D-E340C Silver Personal CD player
Sony D-E340C Silver Personal CD player

4.0 out of 5 stars A good walkman at a good price, 6 Jun. 2004
I bought this CD player probably spring or summer last year, and am quite happy with what I've got.
I'd say the only three minor downfalls are:
No track program function - a lot of people don't use it but I think it's great. The ability to select a specific set tracks you want to play from the album (very good for albums where you might only like 2-4 of the tracks) is missing, unfortunately.
Volume - I think it would be nice if it could be a bit louder. I'm not one for blasting out music any more, I play my music at a much more sensible volume these days but it is quieter than some people would like. If I'm listening to it on a train or on my riding my bike at 15mph or faster, then it can be quite hard to hear the music clearly.
The battery compartment cover - it's a bit flimsy and can come loose quite easily.
oher than that it's a good machine. One major advantage is the battery life, which is superior to the CD player I had before, which was a real energy hog and maybe you'd get 3 hours usage from Duracell batteries!

Alien Encounter
Alien Encounter
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars An album to lift you into deep space!, 23 May 2004
This review is from: Alien Encounter (Audio CD)
Once again Phil Thornton showcases his exceptional synthesizer and production skills with one of the most innovative 'new age' albums I've heard to date. I think his album 'Solstice' is really good but I wanted to get something which was more futuristic, and as I say this album has a unique theme: a soundtrack to sonically emulate the experience of contact with extra-terrestrials. I look to albums like this for meditation and for opening up new doors of consciousness and this album is very effective for that. It's well produced and has some awesome electronic sounds. I do love some acoustic music but electronic music can be just as awesome if the sounds are utilised correctly. The music on the album is beyond relaxation music: it is relaxational but there's so much there, so much there to relax the body yet stimulate the mind so that psychologically, you can travel through space!
I've heard some good music from psycehdelic/electronica/chill-out albums but this album is very good and is similar to that branch of music, and does have an edge over many electronic music albums wether be are aimed at 'dance' or ambient/relaxation. Well recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2014 11:10 PM BST

Labyrinth [VHS]
Labyrinth [VHS]
VHS
Offered by pkeylock

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining fantasy film, 10 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Labyrinth [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Labyrinth. A story about a wannabe fairy-tale princess who wishes for their annoying baby brother to go away, and her wish is fulfilled by a Goblin King played by David Bowie (good choice!), but she must find her way through 'the labyrinth' on a tight time schedule if she is to retrieve him.
Visually this is a stunning film, with the excellent Jim Henson's creature shop once again providing top-notch unworldly characters and scenery, and is worth seeing just for that. It's still an enjoyable adventure to witness though, and the one major flaw of the film is David Bowie's ghastly musical contribution, amplified by the even worse tacky 80's pop style instrumental backing. I mean, I think he was great to have as the lead badguy in the film and all but, I really hope his other music is better than this!
Still, putting that aside, the FILM is good. Just turn the volume of your TV down if the songs get annoying!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3