Profile for Dr David Gauntlett > Reviews

Dr David Gauntlett

Playmobil 4222 Medical Copter
Playmobil 4222 Medical Copter
Offered by STARLINGS TOYMASTER

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent toy, ideal for a third birthday, 13 July 2011
I haven't reviewed a toy on Amazon before, but we got this six months ago, for my son's third birthday. It is really excellent and he still gets so much play out of it, which is why I am posting this review. He has many toys, but this is probably the one he plays with most, and he still enjoys it just as much as ever (or perhaps even more so now he is a bit older). There is lots of scope for imaginative play - my son loves to raise and lower objects on the winch and act out 'rescue' scenarios. It is a really great, study, well designed toy, and I recommend it very highly.

Clarice Bean: What Planet Are You From Clarice Bean?
Clarice Bean: What Planet Are You From Clarice Bean?
by Lauren Child

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, individual, funny, perfect, 2 Jan. 2002
This is a beautiful book. The artwork is wonderful, exuberant and childish. The witty text has got a child's world down to a tee. This is an extremely brilliant book and you will be very glad you bought it!

Art Crazy Nation
Art Crazy Nation
by Matthew Collings

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant slice of art world life from Matthew, 10 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Art Crazy Nation (Paperback)
This book is a sequel to Matthew Collings's brilliant 'Blimey!', taking a largely delightful wander through the British art world of the past five years. It's full of good stuff, very readable, and it is great to see a return to the personal style of 'Blimey!' after the more sensible, textbook kind of approach which the author had to take in 'This is Modern Art'. Ironically, though, although his languid style is usually lovely, even Matthew's fans may find that he has gone a bit too far on the personal rambling here - the text is occasionally a bit overindulgent in telling you stuff about himself that we could live without. However it's highly enjoyable and recommended, and much better than most other books ever written, so buy it now.

Pet Shop Boys: Somewhere - In Concert [DVD] [1997]
Pet Shop Boys: Somewhere - In Concert [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Chris Lowe

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant concert and the quality is OK, 22 Aug. 2001
I loved this concert, which I saw 'in the flesh'. It's an excellent collection of some of the best PSB songs, even though it's not a 'greatest hits' collection (which is fine as many of their best songs have not been singles). I found the staging and performance beautiful.
I'm mainly posting a comment here because I had read (here and elsewhere) that the sound quality was not perfect. Well, it may not be the best sound mix ever, but I'd like to assure people that mine sounds fine. When I bought it I was worried that the music might sound like it had been transferred from a VHS tape (!), but it doesn't. It's perfectly good. The drums/beats might sound slightly muffled or dull, but I don't think most people, even well-attuned pop fans, would notice.
So you can buy this lovely DVD with a happy heart.