Profile for Jetta > Reviews

Content by Jetta

Jetta

Neewer® DSLR Camera Shutter Release 320ft/100m Wireless Remote Control 2.4G 16CH Transmitter Receiver for Nikon D7100/D7000/D5300/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D610/D600/D90/DF
Offered by Neewer Global

4.0 out of 5 stars Use the cable!!, 25 April 2015
It works! Look at the picture of it on the Amazon website. This basically tells you as much as/more than the instructions. I tried following the instructions, and have to admit to huge embarrassment when it didn't work and I finally realised this was because I hadn't used the connector cable!! DOH!! The device only sits on the hot-shoe to have somewhere to sit (i.e. not to power the shutter, which was my silly error). So you could have it just dangling down the back of the camera if that suited better. I can now take close ups of the blue tits nesting in the garden without them spotting me (they don't object to the camera)

The Man in the High Castle
The Man in the High Castle
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the next episode, 31 Jan. 2015
Really good. This has us hooked- 2 adults and a 15 year old boy-cant wait for the next episode. Hurry up!!!!!!!!!

The Narrow Road to the Deep North
The Narrow Road to the Deep North

1.0 out of 5 stars Miserable., 3 Dec. 2014
I tried really hard to like this. I read it with my book club. Only a few of us got all the way to the bitter (yes, bitter) end. I suspect that a lot of the positive comments about the book are 'sympathy' votes for the subject matter. It was a long book, and basically rather miserable. I gather that it is based in part on a true story, and I have to say, I feel very sorry for all the people involved, particularly those who had to live with this hero who went on to lead such a very empty life. What a waste. And, I'm afraid, a waste of my time reading it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2015 6:55 PM GMT

The Light and the Dark
The Light and the Dark

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Dark, 28 April 2013
We chose this book for our book club. It was rather heavy going. The book consists of letters from a soldier in the Boxer rebellion at the turn of the 20th century to his sweetheart, and letters from her to him. There was some debate between us about the time frames involved here. The time frame for him was fairly straightforward and linear, but there was some debate about what time frame the girl occupied. He manages to see optimism during a fairly horrendous wartime experience (the Light?) whereas her life seems rather dreary (?the Dark).There were passages of beautiful prose which others have quoted and I wont repeat, and there were clever references to other literary masterpieces (which I hadn't read). I suspect this will make for a very worthy A-level English literature text at some point in the future but it wasn't much fun to read. Perhaps I am too much of a light weight reader. At least I can say to my friends that I've been reading modern Russian existentialist literature concerning the immortality of love preserved in words and watch them look surprised.

Heavy Duty Professional Aluminium Camera Tripod with Pro Ball Head
Heavy Duty Professional Aluminium Camera Tripod with Pro Ball Head
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars easy-so far, 23 Jan. 2013
Im new to 'proper' photography, but I soon noticed that a tripod was important. This one is sturdy, easy to adjust, and the base plate fits nicely to my nikon 3100. I'm cak-handed, so the errors I made (so far) were-1) screwing the base plate on the wrong way round so the camera wasnt facing the right way on the tripod (I dont think it matters much, but makes it harder to see the spirit level)--so I unscrewed it and put it on the right way 2)then unable to get the camera off the tripod--this was because you dont just click the fast release-you have to unscrew the screw at the front that you tightened to hold the camera in place (!!). I havent yet taken it outside because it's too cold out there, but it looks fine, went back in the bag no problem and I'm confident I can set it up and dismantle it and it feels strong enough to handle a windy day (should I wish to be out on a windy day). Certainly seems stronger than those skinny flimsy expensive ones I saw in Dixons the other day.

Locked In (Jessica Daniel Book 1)
Locked In (Jessica Daniel Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars amateur attempt, 10 Dec. 2011
Without giving the 'big secret' away, the identity of the perpetrator is just blindingly obvious from the very beginning, the title, the cover, and I have to say that any police force that couldn't solve a crime that my 12 year old solved without even reading the book should be relegated to traffic duty!I think that anyone who has run a household/lived in a family household for a few years is going to be able to solve this fairly swiftly.

The sub-plot was interesting though, but I suspect a personality as damaged as the one in question would have been unable to interact as convincingly as this one apparently was able to do.Some of the characters were rather cardboard, but perhaps this will improve in the subsequent books? I'm not really planning to find out.

It gets a star for being cheap.