Profile for J. Beevers > Reviews

Content by J. Beevers

J. Beevers "jblancashire"

Page: 1 | 2
500 Cabinets (500 Series)
500 Cabinets (500 Series)
by Ray Hemachandra

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes too zany, 25 Jan. 2015
It's aways inspirational see other people's good work, even if this might not be to your own taste. And that is my only criticism of this book. Some of the designs are so off the wall (painted paper mache) and not even cabinets that they undermine the purpose of the book, which imho is to inspire cabinet makers.

5 Metre camping / outdoor mains power hookup IP44 16amp blue 240v Cable. 16Amp Commando plug to socket extension lead made from High quality Connectors and Blue Arctic grade 240v BS6500 3 core cable wit a rating of 16 Ampees
Offered by Select Online

3.0 out of 5 stars but I'm a bit disappointed., 13 Nov. 2014
I bought this for connecting a woodworking machine with a 3.5HP motor. I have other machines similarly connected with extensions from other suppliers. This one is substantially thinner cable than the others, so I wonder if, in light of previous reviews, the suppliers have lowered the specification?
I daresay it will do the job, I'll have to check to make sure once the machine is up and running, but I'm a bit disappointed.
However, delivery was prompt and the connectors seem good quality. I've asked the suppliers for the conductor mm2 in order to verify the cables capability.

Fruit Of The Loom Men's SS003M T-Shirt, Blue (Navy), Large
Fruit Of The Loom Men's SS003M T-Shirt, Blue (Navy), Large
Offered by Discount Clothing 4U--Clothing-Bowls-Snooker

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value and fit, 10 Oct. 2013
These T shirts are available in a wide range of colours, are reasonably priced and fit well. However after about three careful washes they are starting to look tired, particularly round the neck where the colour has faded along edges and creases.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Looser than some, 21 Sept. 2013
I have recently also bought Fruit of the Loom T shirts. The Fruit of the Loom Heavy Cotton (Large) fit me (42" chest) better than the Gildan, which are quite loose. I would try the Gildan in medium next time. I haven't had them long enough to asess the durabiklity and washing performance, but I'm hoping they will be better than the FOTL which are looking shabby after a couple of washes.

How to Raise the Perfect Dog
How to Raise the Perfect Dog
by Cesar Millan

3.0 out of 5 stars Long on anecdote, short on concise hard facts., 27 Oct. 2010
I would describe this book as 'interesting' rather than 'essential' in terms of instruction. The hard facts are thin on the ground, and the reader has to wade through a lot of narrative to find them. This is fine if you want some extra background reading on puppyhood, but not so good if you are more interested in the essential 'how to' of owning a new puppy.

Garmin USB/PC Cable for Garmin nuvi and zumo Sat Navs
Garmin USB/PC Cable for Garmin nuvi and zumo Sat Navs
Offered by Best Digital Market

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value product with questionable quality control., 10 May 2009
A USB cable is an essential for updating your satnav data. (Speed camera information for example)
Like some other reviewers, I have experienced problems with this product. My first one didn't work. However, Decrescent sent me a no quibble repacement by return, and this works fine.
At this price, and with this level of after sales service, bearing in mind that this product costs about 25% of the typical High Street price, it's a no brainer. Buy one along with your Garmin.

Dragon Naturally Speaking Essentials 6.0
Dragon Naturally Speaking Essentials 6.0

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, 18 Oct. 2003
I find this tool useful for text crunching, where going back to edit the mistakes is compensated for by the time saved earlier. However, for creative writing, the constant misinterpretations are too intrusive.
I use the program with XP Home and find that I frequently get letters doubled up 'catt, doog' etc. The helpdesk have not helped me solve this.
I'm glad the program wasn't more expensive.

Cities of the Plain (Border Trilogy)
Cities of the Plain (Border Trilogy)
by Cormac McCarthy

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 12 Mar. 2001
I guess the greatest gift that I writer can give is a little of his own soul. All three books in "The Border Trilogy" give the reader such a profound feeling of having been written from the heart, that to finish each book is like parting with a friend, and the completion of the Trilogy is like bereavement. One of the aspects that make these books so affecting is that they concern ordinary people who try extraordinarily hard to do the right thing against the overwhelming opposition of landscape, history and the future as other, lesser people, see it. "Cities of the Plain" brings together the protagonists from the two earlier works and as friends they reprise the doomed enterprise of the earlier works. This revisiting by McCarthy of similar themes throughout the Trilogy serves to highlight his concept that we are all pawns in a bigger game but nonetheless we should endeavour to play to some higher rule in order that collectively we may amount to something better. If all this sounds rather grandiose, well, it is, and it matters. In a very different way Richard Ford illuminates a similar area in his Frank Bascombe books, but whereas Ford's characters are found in everyday settings, both McCarthy's settings and language are epic. I have read criticism that he goes too far with his archaic language and tumbling sentences. Well, he may do occasionally, but I would read McCarthy for the prose alone, and consider plot, characterisation etc a bonus. I can think only of Annie Proulx right now whose prose is such a delight for its own sake and both make much other good reading seem turgid in comparison. Harold Bloom states that we read to enrich our experience, our wisdom, our healing. This is true of literature of this calibre. Cities of the Plain is a fine conclusion to an ennobling reading experience. I anticipate that I will read this Trilogy many times.

House of Sand and Fog,: House of Sand and Fog, (Oprah's Book Club)
House of Sand and Fog,: House of Sand and Fog, (Oprah's Book Club)
by Andre, III Dubus
Edition: Audio Cassette

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Classic, 28 Feb. 2001
House of Sand and Fog is a tragedy of Shakespearean Proportions. It describes how a Persian immigrant (and his family) accustomed to power in his old country is reduced to menial work in the USA. He buys a house at a county auction that has been seized from Kathy Lazaro because of a bureaucratic error. Kathy, together with her new friend and lover, Deputy Burdon attempt to get the house back, while Behrani, the immigrant rightly maintains that he bought the house legally. The theme of the story is how ordinary reasonable people can, by degrees, careen out of control and destroy one another. In this respect, and in the degree of tragedy, it is reminiscent of "A Thousand Acres" by Jane Smiley. It is gripping and poignant, although perhaps a little less convincing than Ms Smiley's story, because the people in it seem too reasonable to act like they do. Recommended

Last Exit to Brooklyn
Last Exit to Brooklyn
by Hubert Selby

3.0 out of 5 stars Black without Grey, 17 Feb. 2001
This review is from: Last Exit to Brooklyn (Paperback)
Brooklyn is depicted as peopled by thugs, prostitutes, transvestites, corrupts union officials and wife beaters. Losers all, and this is where the book falls down. Graphic and well depicted, it is too one sided. Too bleak. The devil is superfluous without a god to provide balance and context. As a brave experiment with reality it works up to a point, but would have been more honest and realistic if there had been some glimmer of decency to provide a yardstick for the opposite.

Page: 1 | 2