Profile for A. Traher > Reviews

Content by A. Traher

A. Traher "atraherlit" (London)

Crimea: The Great Crimean War 1854-1856
Crimea: The Great Crimean War 1854-1856
by Trevor Royle
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars To Life, 8 Oct 2009
Bought this title in anticipation of a visit to the Crimean Penninsular. It is a thoroughly readable book with lots of diplomatic and military detail. I like all that but it may be too much for some.

As I visited Balaclava, Sebastapol and the various sites the accuracy of the narrative was demonstrated again and again.

By chance the week I was there was the 255 year anniversary of the BAttle of the Alma River. Some local enthusiasts staged a re-enactment. Most of the spectators were disappointed but I could see how accurately they were staging the piece of the battle that they had chosen.

Brilliant
Made my Holiday

Wolves Eat Dogs
Wolves Eat Dogs
by Martin Cruz Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Warms from the Inside, 26 Nov 2005
This review is from: Wolves Eat Dogs (Paperback)
This is a complex thriller that leads to the Zone around Chenobyl. The atmosphere and the Arkady's morose character are what set it apart from the normal genre. It is very well written and developed but I still prefer Polar Star.

Cable & Wireless CWSNS-1000 - GPS Navigation System - With UK & European Maps
Cable & Wireless CWSNS-1000 - GPS Navigation System - With UK & European Maps

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Appeal, 26 Nov 2005
I bought this recognising that it was at the cheap end of the market. The first model would not even boot up but thanks to Amazon's excellent returns system I had a new one within days.
This booted up properly and can get you from A to B. Unfortunately the external aerial has failed within 7 days of use due to a broken connector. The night mode is too bright and I would like to be able to zoom out and see the whole journey before committing to follow its lead. As an aftermarket product the security issue means that you have to dismantle and assemble everytime you leave your car so I will have to change my car!!!
AT

The Used Women's Book Club
The Used Women's Book Club
by Paul Bryers
Price: 6.94

4.0 out of 5 stars London's Atmosphere Captured, 22 Feb 2004
With Book Clubs' popularised by TV exposure this is a witty and erudite commentary set in contemporary London. It is the first Bryers novel for me. The feeling of male helplessness in a sea of female intrigue is brilliantly captured. Our hapless hero says X and there then follows 3 pages of how that would have been interpreted by the various scheming ladies. What he meant was "Hello"! The detail about the difficulty of collecting a child from the split partner and trying to find a venue and an appropriate activity to amuse for a short time displayed personal experience. I will be searching out some more Bryers.