Profile for lamentations > Reviews

God's Promises for Your Every Need
God's Promises for Your Every Need
by A. L. Gill

5.0 out of 5 stars For the weary traveller., 11 Mar. 2011
A friend gave me this little booklet, when I was first ill, many years ago. I found myself in a position of not being able to face reading the scriptures, yet needing the comfort that only God can bring. The selection of the hundreds of promises of God in the scriptures was just what I needed at that time.
The comfort of these certain blessings have stayed with me all my life, and made me realize the love of God in every circumstance of life. Each section has a title, eg. Love, peace, forgiveness, worried, depressed, rebellious...the contents directs you to how you are at that time, and the promises of God regarding that topic, can be read.
My book is now battered and crumpled from use and over-use, but I in turn have passed it on to other weary travellers, and I recommend it to you.

SOUL WINNER: Evangelism as a Way of Life
SOUL WINNER: Evangelism as a Way of Life
by SPURGEON C H

5.0 out of 5 stars How to win souls for Christ, 11 Mar. 2011
How important is it that human beings are able to relate to their maker? What are the consequences of not knowing God, and not coming to Christ to be forgiven? In this age of non-stop entertainment and countless distractions from thinking beyond the here and now, it is difficult for our society to take seriously the claims of the Bible, and to grasp the fact that without God we are lost and face an eternity of darkness, pain and regret.
Many never think of spiritual issues at all and believe that death brings annihilation, with no consequences for anything that may have been said or done. The idea that there is even such a thing as good or bad, are outside the language and thought processes of too many.
How important is it to us that people around us are heading to destruction? It is very hard to grapple with this fact, as it hurts us to think that those around us that we love are in such straights, and we feel powerless to do anything about it. If someone chooses death, rather than eternal life, does it drive us to petition God to act to impress upon them their dangerous state? Do we try to think carefully of ways to engage the person, and "witness" to them?
These are some of the issues discussed by Charles Haddon Spurgeon, in his book "The Soulwinner." This book is a collection of lectures to his students, to stimulate them to be very proactive in winning souls for Christ. He is clear that this is not just the job of the minister, but every Christian should be searching for opportunities to act and speak for Christ, and show those around them their need of forgiveness, and the love of Christ to rescue from punishment.
Spurgeon seeks to persuade and encourage all of us as Christian believers, to be soul winners. He shows us what a soul winner is; our frame of mind in being soul winners and what kind of words and attitudes are condusive to soul winning. This is not just a strategy to follow, but a mind-set and sincerity towards others that will draw outsiders into Christ's fold.
The book of Proverbs says "He that wins souls is wise" (Proverbs 11:30) The idea of "winning souls" is expanded in Spurgeons lectures to remonstrate with us to apply this desire and action, into every area of our lives and to think and practice how we can reach out to other people directly. We pursue this goal through prayer; study of the scriptures; study of the humans we know and thoughtfulness towards them in Christ.
We all have responsibility for knowing the way to God clearly, so that we can share it effectively, when the opportunity arises. The qualifications for being a soul winner are set out clearly, such as, love for Christ - to want what He wants; humility - regarding the needs of the outsider more than our own comfort; seriousness in putting our lives right; making sacrifices to reach out to unbelievers. James says, "Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover a multitude of sins." (James 5:19-20)
Spurgeon sets out to us the glory of being a soul winner and the obvious blessings for the one who is brought to Christ and also for the Christian church and also for our own spiritual lives. I recommend this book and its thought provoking arguments and uplifting encouragements for God's people to leave all and follow the Master. Jesus said, "I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." (Luke 5:32)

Beside Still Waters: Words of Comfort for the Soul
Beside Still Waters: Words of Comfort for the Soul
by Charles Haddon Spurgeon

5.0 out of 5 stars Encouragement in the turmoil of life., 18 Feb. 2011
I have used this book as my morning devotions for almost 2 years. I read it as my working days starts and it is exactly what I need to hear. It is superb for those in difficult and challenging situations where the things of this life seem to drag us down and drown us in negativity. God is supreme and has all things in his hands and the promises of the scriptures are expanded so meaningfully to the struggling soul. Spurgeon is still not out of date and his words are continually relevant to every Christian in every situation. He is always supportive to those who find life burdensome and knows from his own experiences and and through knowledge of God's word, that God will never leave us, nor forsake us. It as also a fantastic book to hand on to others, and is applicable to every age group.

Parents' Survival Guide
Parents' Survival Guide
by Laurie Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars A parents survival guide Laurie Graham, 2 Dec. 2008
This stands as the most realistic, supportive, encouraging and funny book about parents with young children. I am reading it 20 years after I first bought it and it has not aged at all. I recommend this for anyone. if you have children you definitely need it and if you do not, you need the insight this book will give you. It needs to be republished for the present generation to enjoy.

Page: 1 | 2