ARRAY(0xabe18fe4)

The Gilbert Scott Book of British Food
by Marcus Wareing
Price: 16.75

4.0 out of 5 stars A new twist on old favourites, 21 Sep 2013
A great presentation with some wonderful photographs. The receipes are quintessentially English but accessible to the home cook. The selection covered all meals from breakfast, the eggy toast was wonderful, through to suppers and cocktails . Lots of lovely ideas to try on traditional dishes.

Being Human
Being Human
by Neil Astley
Price: 9.30

5.0 out of 5 stars an interesting collection, 21 Sep 2013
This review is from: Being Human (Paperback)
A great collection of poetry, some great old favourites and some interesting new poems. A thoughtful compilation and a great dipping-in book.

Strange Shores (Reykjavik Murder Mysteries 9)
Strange Shores (Reykjavik Murder Mysteries 9)
Price: 6.64

3.0 out of 5 stars Long winded, 21 Sep 2013
When I first started reading I thought it showed promise. Unfortunately it didn't live up to its promise. It never developed, almost navel introspection by the protagonist reliving the loss of his brother in a snow storm and the believed loss of a woman in a later storm. Could have been good but the pace was slow that I lost interest and it became obvious what happened by half way through and I found myself struggling to finish it, sadly.

Red Riding Nineteen Seventy Four (Red Riding Quartet)
Red Riding Nineteen Seventy Four (Red Riding Quartet)
Price: 4.12

3.0 out of 5 stars Unnecassarily gruesome, 2 Sep 2013
I felt that many of the incidents were unnecassarily violent, much seemed like gratuesly gruesome. Police violence and complicity with corruption was acknowledged in 1974 but the message was lost in what seemed like revelling in crudity and violent description.

The Fire Witness
The Fire Witness
Price: 7.47

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Fire Witness (Kindle Edition)
I didn't quite know what to expect when I started but it developed into an exciting story. I look forward to reading he next book

The Bees
The Bees
by Carol Ann Duffy
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing anthology, 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Bees (Paperback)
A beautiful collection of poetry, entertaining , moving and amusing. A great comment on all aspects of life. My favourite was Water a tribute to mothers.

White Night (Shetland)
White Night (Shetland)
Price: 2.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great Perez detective story., 5 April 2013
Read this after reading Red Bones. Another great Shetland and Jimmy Perez detective story. Anne Cleeve rarely fails to please. Another enjoyable read with good characterisation. Fascinating historical detail too.

Red Bones (Shetland)
Red Bones (Shetland)
Price: 2.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric and a great advert for the Shetlands., 5 April 2013
I loved the book. Good characterisation, Jimmy Perez is well developed as the main detective. You become involved with all the characters and hadn't spotted the murderer. The setting played such a great part of the book, I want to visit the Shetlands but in the summer.

Town & Country Boot Jack - Teal
Town & Country Boot Jack - Teal
Offered by Simple DIY
Price: 4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars So simple, so effective., 5 April 2013
This review is from: Town & Country Boot Jack - Teal
Who ever came up with this as an idea was a genius. It's so simple to use, no tugging on boots, no dirty hands after a walk in winter. Great!

For Whom the Bell Tolls
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Price: 4.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading the book of the film, 19 Feb 2013
I remember sneaking into see this film with my friend by persuading an adult to pretend we were with her (we were twelve!) how times have changed! I loved the film then and went and found the book in my local library. I recently read a short story by Hemingway and decided to retread one of his novels. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, I loved the story but as an adult appreciated the accounts of the soldiers and nurses serving in Europe during the First World War. Even though I knew the ending I still had a tear in my eye.

Page: 1 | 2