Profile for P. O'Brien > Reviews

Content by P. O'Brien

P. O'Brien "avidgirl" (UK)

Time's Echo
Time's Echo

5.0 out of 5 stars powerful and complex, 29 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Time's Echo (Kindle Edition)
I think the `slippage' through time in this book is very persuasively written,(even though I'm not usually a fan of 'time travel' type fiction).
The historical passages are very convincing, and particularly vivid if you have ever visited York and felt the vibes there.
The plot is masterfully done as it builds in complexity and tension and the denoument is tremendous. All in all it's a brilliant read!

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars a genuinely good book, 12 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Casual Vacancy (Hardcover)
It took me about 30 pages to get the 'tone' of this book, but once I did, I relaxed completely into J K Rowling's ability as a story-teller and plot and character constructor. This is a properly good book! It's witty and dark, a sharp urban tale, with pace and intelligence. I look forward to more in this vein.

Bach: Motets [2011] [SDG: SDG716]
Bach: Motets [2011] [SDG: SDG716]

5.0 out of 5 stars bach as if brand new, 2 Sept. 2012
I impulse bought this cd and love it, it makes Bach sound mint fresh brand new, makes you feel as if your brain has been taken out, washed in clean cool water, and put back in again!

Coco Chanel: The Legend and the Life
Coco Chanel: The Legend and the Life
by Justine Picardie

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Biography, 22 Oct. 2011
This is a really good book about the enigmatic Coco Chanel. Justine Picardie has done all the hard work of wading through endless primary material and produced for us a readable, compassionate but not soppy, thoughtful, interesting version of Chanel's life. Chanel seems to have been a person who lied, contradicted herself, and was in many ways ruthless, but was also vulnerable, highly creative and original, and brave,tough and strong. I enjoyed very much reading her story and enjoying her fabulous designs - the illustrations are lovely. I learned for the first time that the secret of the 'swing' in the jackets is a fine chain sewn into the hem (how about that?). Also, by some strange suggestibility (didn't realise it until I'd done it)after reading this I went and had my hair bobbed in a Chanel type bob and it's the best haircut I've had for ages!

The 4 Day Win: Change the Way You Think About Food and Your Body in Just 4 Days
The 4 Day Win: Change the Way You Think About Food and Your Body in Just 4 Days
by Martha Beck

5.0 out of 5 stars a rave review, 29 Dec. 2007
I really found this book a revelation. I've been on (and off) diets for 35 years - and sometimes I even lose a bit of weight, but this book gives you the insights to really understand and then change your behaviour. I know this sounds cheesy in the extreme but I do think it's a compassionate, life-changing book.
If you're interested in why you're overweight and sick of rushing from one diet to the next, this book is definitely worth a look. It's interesting, funny and moving.

Wintersmith: (Discworld Novel 35) (Discworld Novels)
Wintersmith: (Discworld Novel 35) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars just my thoughts, 24 Nov. 2007
I don't like all of Terry Pratchett, but I love Wintersmith. I bought it first as an audio CD and it beguiled many long hideous miles on motorways. I love Tony Robinson's voice and felt he particularly got the 'shape' of this book - the moment towards the end when Tiffany resolves all the conflicts and 'drew down the sun' gave me a real shiver (of appreciation) down the spine.
As an old-fashioned feminist English graduate (oh lord) I love the way the book re-visits the myth of regeneration, opposites living in tension and balance, and so forth. But don't let this put you off if you're not as pretentious as me, it's a very entertaining read. I just felt it had real resonance as well.
The other TP book that I've always loved is Equal Rites, which looks at the female dilemma of wanting to be a wizard when everyone thinks you should be content to be a witch. You can see why I would like that one!
For a wonderful winter read, I very much recommend Wintersmith.