Profile for Paul Richards > Reviews

Content by Paul Richards

Paul Richards (Edinburgh)

Page: 1 | 2
CSL 2m (metres) HQ premium DisplayPort (DP) to DVI cable | Certified / HDCP and EDID | Full HD resolution | 24 cart gold-plated contacts / 3-fold shielding | Graphics cards / Apple and PC / Projector / Monitor
Offered by CSL-Computer

3.0 out of 5 stars Product is single-link DVI output only, not dual-link as suggested by physical appearance of DVI connector, 16 April 2015
This cable is only suitable for single-link DVI output. This limits the output resolution to 1920 × 1200 @ 60Hz, or 2560 x 1600 @ 30Hz.

The physical appearance of the DVI connector suggests this cable supports dual-link DVI (the connector has all the pins for dual-link), when infact DisplayPort is not capable of being passively converted to dual-link DVI. For me this makes the product image misleading, and nowhere in the description does it say that this cable only supports single-link DVI.

Converting DisplayPort to dual-link DVI requires an active converter, usually with it's own power supply. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2015 12:44 PM BST

CSL - 300 Mbit/s WiFi Adapter with antenna connector and removable antenna / Wireless LAN / USB 2.0 Adaptor / Mini Dongle 802.11n/b/g / SMA connection 150 54 / works with Windows 7 + Windows 8 + Windows 8.1 / Raspberry Pi / MacOS | particularly high coverage
Offered by CSL-Computer

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, better signal strength than my laptop's built-in wifi, 13 Mar. 2015
Works great for me in Linux, and gives a stronger signal than my laptop's build in Wifi. For anyone interested here is the dmesg output when I insert the device:

usb 2-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
usb 2-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8172
usb 2-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 2-1.2: Product: RTL8191S WLAN Adapter
usb 2-1.2: Manufacturer: Manufacturer Realtek
usb 2-1.2: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
r8712u: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
r8712u: Staging version
r8712u: register rtl8712_netdev_ops to netdev_ops
usb 2-1.2: r8712u: USB_SPEED_HIGH with 4 endpoints
usb 2-1.2: r8712u: Boot from EFUSE: Autoload OK
usb 2-1.2: r8712u: CustomerID = 0x000a
usb 2-1.2: r8712u: MAC Address from efuse = **:**:**:**:**:**
usb 2-1.2: r8712u: Loading firmware from "rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin"
usbcore: registered new interface driver r8712u
IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan1: link is not ready

USB Wifi Adapter for the Raspberry Pi - By New IT
USB Wifi Adapter for the Raspberry Pi - By New IT
Offered by The Pi Hut

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine so long as you're reasonably close to your WiFi base station., 11 Mar. 2015
Works fine so long as you're reasonably close to your WiFi base station. For me it loses WiFi signal before my mobile phone does when I move to further distances. Probably to be expected when you consider how small the antenna is.

Worked out of the box with no mucking about using Raspian on my Raspberry Pi 2.

Raspberry Pi UK Micro USB Power Supply
Raspberry Pi UK Micro USB Power Supply
Offered by The Pi Hut

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 10 Mar. 2015
Worked perfectly (I received the correct 2000mA model), and fixed the power issues I was having with an apparently inferior Samsung 2A power adapter.

Kingston Technology 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 Flash Card with SD card adapter
Kingston Technology 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 Flash Card with SD card adapter

1.0 out of 5 stars Unusably faulty on arrival, 28 Feb. 2015
Lots of IO errors for me on two different devices that work fine with other cards. Probably just bad luck but basically the one I got was unusable.

Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop Keyboard, Mouse and Numeric Pad Set - UK Layout

5.0 out of 5 stars and I find the Sculpt Ergonomic to be much more comfortable. Only nitpick for me as a software developer ..., 3 Sept. 2014
I switched from the "Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000", and I find the Sculpt Ergonomic to be much more comfortable.

Only nitpick for me as a software developer is that the function keys are different to the rest of the keys. They are still easy to hit correctly but it's unusual not getting the same feedback from them.

The mouse is also fine, quite unusually shaped compared to a conventional mouse but still easy enough to use (if you're right handed).

MapReduce Design Patterns: Building Effective Algorithms and Analytics for Hadoop and Other Systems

3.0 out of 5 stars Great if you are already familiar with the framework APIs ..., 26 July 2014
Great if you are already familiar with the framework APIs and want some easy intro into some common patterns. Unlikely to learn a lot if you have significant experience, as you probably will have thought of these approaches already. Still, might be useful to put names to them.

Schwalbe Bike Tyre Levers
Schwalbe Bike Tyre Levers
Offered by Y Frame Discounts Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great where other tyre levers failed!, 2 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Schwalbe Bike Tyre Levers (Misc.)
I have some tough to remove tyres on my bike and I snapped my previous set of tyre levers. I bought these Schwalbe ones and they worked a treat. Far stronger than my previous set (because they are wider I think), but still plastic so don't damage your wheel rims.

Real World Haskell: Code You Can Believe In
Real World Haskell: Code You Can Believe In

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply not good enough, 22 Sept. 2012
I bought the Kindle edition of this book having done functional programming with other languages before (Lisp and Scala). The first third or so of this book was material very familiar to me from those other languages and even here I found the book hard work. There were mistakes where the description in the text did not match the sample code. There was an instance of sample code not compiling, and infact the compile error was printed into the book in place of where the program output was expected (maybe this is only present in the Kindle print). Sample code was often too abstract using identifier names that did not help me to understand what the sample code was trying to achieve (ironic for "real world" haskell). In other cases the sample code required functions that would only be implemented much later in the book (very confusing if you are trying out the samples as you read).

The next third or so of the book was new territory for me, and here I found myself often second guessing the text of the book. I suspected mistakes but did not have the confidence to know for sure. At this point the online version of the book proved to be very helpful ([...]). Here there are plenty of online comments from readers of the book that correct many of the mistakes and clear up confusion. Take a skim at some of the comments there before you buy to get an indication of the types of problems this book has.

I gave up on this book at roughly the two thirds mark, and am now instead reading "Programming in Haskell". I have yet to complete this alternative book but so far it is of much higher standard than Real World Haskell.

227602: Synology DS110j 1-Bay SATA NAS Server (DS110J)
227602: Synology DS110j 1-Bay SATA NAS Server (DS110J)

2.0 out of 5 stars TimeMachine extremely unreliable with Mac OS X Lion, 14 April 2012
I bought this NAS when I ran Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) and it was great. Since upgrading to Mac OS X Lion (10.7) Time Machine has been extremely unreliable for myself and many others. This has been reported to Synology through their own forums ([...]) but there is currently know fix.

Lack of robust Time Machine and support from Synology means I feel bound to warn potential buyers and give only one star.

Page: 1 | 2