Profile for Mr. L. J. Gladwell > Reviews

Content by Mr. L. J. Gladwell

Mr. L. J. Gladwell "Laz" (Essex)

LAMY safari Medium Nib Fountain Pen - Yellow
LAMY safari Medium Nib Fountain Pen - Yellow
Offered by Great Ones For You Eu
Price: 13.67

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed., 24 Jun 2014
The service and delivery of the pen was very good, no complaints there.

Ahh *sigh*, so disappointed with this pen. Believe me I really wanted to love this pen. Everyone online raved about it. Its a really really popular pen but I guess its just abit of a Marmite thing going on with it...I unfortunately hated it. Firstly should say nothing wrong with the quality as such. Colour is bright and vibrant yellow, really cool paper-clip style clip. moulded plastic is high quality, lamy embossing is nice (although after a few trips out it got some dirt in the indents of the Lamy name which was kinda annoying.

My main problem is with this pen, for me I just didn't enjoying writing with it...AT ALL. Grip section has those triangle cut outs. I have a standard pinch grip so it should have worked perfect for me. Wrong..just kept the nib at just the wrong angle for my writing..im talking fractionally but enough that i had to use one finger just off the intended grip section resulting in very uncomfortable writing. The second is that I write with the nib at about a 45 degree angle allowing the nib to flow nicely...this pen just didnt like that. The writing picked up about the 50-60 degree mark but that just felt weird. Lastly the flow was quite dry and the nib scratchy.

Sorry Lamy this pen didn't do it for me. Might check out the Lamy 2000, totally different set up and with a gold nib.

Pelikan Edelstein Ink Bottle - Topaz Blue/ Violet
Pelikan Edelstein Ink Bottle - Topaz Blue/ Violet
Price: 11.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 24 Jun 2014
Firstly the boring stuff. Arrived in 2 days after ordering and I used super saver delivery. Whatever your doing Amazon with your delivery guys its out of this world. I got "out for delivery" notification as well as a follow up email letting me know that you had left it with my neighbour as well as giving me his name....FREE DELIVERY AND YOU GET ALL THAT, mind blowing service.

So the Ink. Well packaging on the ink was just top notch. Standard amazon box, alot of scrunched paper and bubble-wrap. Get all that off and you get your silver Edelstein box with silver embossed print and cut side panel showing you the ink colour. That alone is expensive packaging looks really good and considering you should keep your ink in its box (to preserve its colour over time) its a great shout, happily leave this out on my desk or ink shelf. Then you got the glass ink well its self, just flawless glass. Beautiful bottle, clear view of the ink inside. Stately black multifaceted Pelikan screw top. The ink its self a rich blue edging towards a turquoise with a touch of aqua but hard to describe in words. Would check out a ink review for that. All in all....5 stars. Experiences like that is why Amazon is just market leader. Oh and tip of the cap to Pelikan, Edelstein inks...i want the whole set.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Razor, its me and this little fella against the world...or Beard., 4 Jan 2012
I have had this razor for about 2 weeks now and though I don't normally leave reviews I felt compelled with this great product.

I have decided to take up DE shaving since my mate told me about it, then having read about it and watched many videos from mantic59 on YouTube (check him out) I was sold. After doing some reading about I went for the Merkur. See below

[...]

the above review basically says they are both great the merkur and the Edwin Jagger but I preferd the overall dimensions of the merkur and hardcore German-ness.

The razor doesn't really feel like anything else...its heavy, very heavy for the size it is. The weight feels great though, especially as in DE shaving the weight of the razor head is key to applying the right amount of pressure to the face. The unscrewing to remove the head (this is a 2 piece razor unlike the Jagger which is a 3 piece) is totally solid and when you open it up and let a freshly unwrapped blade from its wax paper slide on the the steel piece its a real lock and load moment. As for the shave, I have been following the 3 pass system with the final pass going against the grain and I get a very close shave with no razor burn, no ingrowing hairs, no discomfort at all just pure shaving pleasure.

As for the life of the product. I read that you should take it apart and give it a clean every time you replace blades so every week or so. Apart from that well that's it..its flipping solid they can put it in my coffin next to me when im gone....that to far? =)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2012 8:48 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, aint no skool like the old skool!, 3 Jan 2012
I picked up this block after seeing it used in some shaving tutorials on YouTube. Didn't know what to expect really as im very new to this old way of shaving. All other points aside about traditional shaving to which im a great convert and am boring on to everyone I can about it and the devilry of the corporate multi blade systems I shall review this product.

It was totally different to what I expected (I thought more a hard soap kinda thing) the alum bloc is more of a stone or mineral, think quartz or something like that. You finish your shave with a blast of cold water to close the pores and then wet this badboy and run it around the face. Now since I been shaving the traditional way (about 2 weeks now) I haven't cut or nicked myself... I thought I would by now but have been following the technique closely as set out by mantic59 (youtube), so as such I cant vouch for the cauterising ability of this but what I would say is that when you have run it around your face you get a manly tingle/sting and the block does its work, your face tightens and tones as it dries and primes it perfectly for when you then apply your balm and or moisturiser. I wouldn't shave without it now and it gives me peace of mind for when I eventually do get a nick or cut that I wont have to walk about with abit of sodden blood soaked tissue stuck to my face.

Great product...really aint no skool but the old skool. Gillet and that lot can go do one, they wont be getting my money ever again.

Revelation (The Shardlake Series)
Revelation (The Shardlake Series)
by C. J. Sansom

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic from cover to cover, 10 Jun 2009
I wont write a long review like the others, they seem to have coverd it well. I will just say all of the series is fantastic, i loved every word on every page. From the beautifull parchment covers to the affection you will have for our hero Matthew Shardlake this is a wonderfull book to add to your collection.