Profile for LittleReader > Reviews

Content by LittleReader

LittleReader (Leeds, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Biomex Miracle Multi Surface Cleaner & Sponge 300g (Kitchen & Bathroom Cleaner)
Biomex Miracle Multi Surface Cleaner & Sponge 300g (Kitchen & Bathroom Cleaner)
Offered by Lakeland

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 17 Mar. 2013
I've tried literally every other cleaner I could get my hands on to sort out my expensive Alessi hob top kettle and I can quite happily report that this actually works - it made light work of the grease and stains and the handy sponge that comes with it was abrasive enough to remove dirt but gentle enough not to scratch - I am very impressed! Mr Muscle, Cif and Astonish, step aside....

The Kitchen House
The Kitchen House
by Kathleen Grissom

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 17 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Kitchen House (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
KG's debut novel certainly packs a punch! This hugely enjoyable novel, set in the late 1700's, centres around Lavinia - an Irish orphan taken in and cared for by the Plantation workers of a wealthy Virginian family. The turn of the Century heralded many changes in US history but the days of white folk enslaving black people was in full swing and this story pitches the horrific pain of this era against a backdrop of community, love and hope. I love love loved this book and cannot praise the characterisation, the pace, the richness and depth of description applied to every aspect of it enough.
As Lavinia grows up, her voice becomes one almost of confusion as she struggles to find her place in the community that loved her, as a white child, as one of their own. Times change and so must Lavinia.
An excellent read...

The Carrier (Culver Valley Crime)
The Carrier (Culver Valley Crime)
by Sophie Hannah

3.0 out of 5 stars One book too many?, 7 Feb. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I feel that SH may be heading down the same path as so many great authors before her - churning books out at a pace that actually aren't that good anymore! I can't stop myself from reading her novels but I honestly think I may have reached my peak with 'The Carrier'.
I'm bored of Charlie and Simon and Proust and their constant random references to life events I have no recollection of and this story, that should have been really rather impressive, got lost in all the superflous padding!
The premise was brilliant and the writing was as lyrical as ever but the story got lost in itself and I found myself speed reading simply to get through it.
Please return to the form of your earlier work SH and allow me to become absorbed in your writing once again...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2013 3:02 PM GMT

How to Be a Good Wife
How to Be a Good Wife
by Emma Chapman

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't really geddit..., 7 Feb. 2013
This review is from: How to Be a Good Wife (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't understand the hype surrounding this book. It was readable, but certainly very forgettable. There have been comparisons made to 'Room' and it's my opinion that EC's debut novel would certainly be punching above it's weight in this comparison.
A nameless Scandinavian town and an unreliable narrator sparked some interest but Marta was a completely unsympatheic protaganist and for me all intrigue was lost as the story limped to it's conclusion. The positive aspect for me was more about the writing than the story - I liked EC's fluid style and she did manage to create an undercurrent of tension throughout the first half of the book - it was simply a shame that the momentum didn't last.
I will, however, look at what she offers next...

The Love Child
The Love Child
by Amanda Brookfield

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea..., 27 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Love Child (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to be honest in that AB's 'The Love Child' is not a book in the genre I would usually go for and I suppose this is why I didn't enjoy it very much.
The writing is basic and cliched and the characters are annoying - I felt no empathy towards them as their misery (the usual teenage angst and family dynamics...blah blah blah...)was mainly of their own making. Lots of 30 somethings thrown together with the usual plot twists and turns should make for good reading but I was bored. The main issue for me was the predictability of it all. I can't claim to be disappointed by the style as, by my own admission, it isn't my usual choice and frankly, it did me the favour of reinforcing my belief that I have outgrown this type of writer.
Ok for an easy read but certainly no grey-matter stretcher!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2013 8:36 AM GMT

Alys, Always
Alys, Always
by Harriet Lane

3.0 out of 5 stars So so...., 27 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Alys, Always (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm really disappointed to be able to give HL's novel just 3 *'s but after a very intriguing start, it failed to get to grips with itself and limped along to it's demise. At around 200 pages, it's not a mammouth read luckily and the writing was, at least, readable. It is most certainly not a 'thriller' and would more happily sit in the 'family drama' section. The bonus to this very mediocre read is Frances Thorpe - the protagonist - who is brilliantly moulded. Manipulative, clever and a Master of invention, I found myself irritated that she wasn't given a better 'stage'. This book could do with being re-written around Frances - she really was the saving grace...

The Big Screen: The Story of the Movies and What They Did to Us
The Big Screen: The Story of the Movies and What They Did to Us
by David Thomson

4.0 out of 5 stars A fat doorstep of a read!, 21 Nov. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can't help but be slightly disappointed with the lack of big, glossy photographs throughout this book but I have to admit that it's written really well and it would appear that DT knows his stuff.
There's a whole plethora of interesting and often amusing tales around American film-making over the last Century (not so much around Brtish films unfortunately) and aside from some obvious 'padding' around the edges, for the most part it's relevant and stimulating.
It is a very large book - prepare to feel daunted by the thickness - however, I read it surprisingly quickly as the content makes up for it! I would imagine that it would be a 'bible' for serious movie-buffs and those studying the craft; for me, it was more about gaining an insight...

Three Little Words: They mean so much
Three Little Words: They mean so much
by Jessica Thompson

2.0 out of 5 stars Very mediocre writing..., 25 Oct. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I did not particularly enjoy JS's second novel - the sentence construction was clumsy and the characterisation shallow - I had no real interest in the characters or how the story would unfold.
The start - a life changing event for the central characters - was ok and actually the premise seemed intriguing and I was all set for a fast paced, thrilling ride...Unfortunately, for me, this was not the case. The plus point of this novel was that I finished reading it fairly quickly!

Fashion
Fashion
by DK

5.0 out of 5 stars Decadent...., 25 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Fashion (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
....From it's beautifully tactile cover to the stunning illustrations on each page, 'Fashion' is a wonderful 'coffee table' tome that really shouldn't be just left on there to look pretty!
From Ancient Egypt through every decade until the present day, every style is captured and every shift in what was considered high fashion is divulged - hemlines, bustles, embroidery, ruffs, shoulder pads - they're all there! Relevant designers are also covered and there is a section at the back on evolving shoes and hat styles. I am not a Fashion student but I would imagine this would give an excellent overview to somebody who was - there is no great detailing - every era is covered over just a few pages but it is still visually very pallatable... Love it!

Fostering - The Essential Guide
Fostering - The Essential Guide
by Diana Cambridge

3.0 out of 5 stars A good start..., 14 Oct. 2012
... Diana Cambridge has the personal experience of Fostering a child that she then went on to adopt a year later and so her experience of Fostering long term and with different children is somewhat limited. Though she does refer to a couple of other Foster carers, it reads to me as more like one woman's experience as opposed to an 'essential guide'.

The basics are covered in an easy to read chapter style ranging from thinking about becoming a Foster carer through to when the child you are Fostering moves on and in it's most basic form, there is information to be had. In reality, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know and I am at the very beginning of my journey to becoming a Foster carer. Some parts were twee and unecessary and far too 'personal' to be a true Guide and I believe it should have been entitled more as a 'personal account'. DC has had a very positive experience of Fostering and this is really important when encouraging families to think about what they could give to a child who needs a home. Children that are placed into the care system will probably have greater needs (certainly emotionally) than any birth children you may have and it would be an unrealistic expectation that they will 'fit in' immediately - a great deal of time, care and commitment is required and DC covers this aspect brilliantly.

Though being paid to become a Foster carer is not the leading force in my decision to go forwards with applying, it is important as I will be giving up a well paid job and the parts on payment for being a Foster carer were hugely over-exaggerated; my local Councils (I have three around me), all pay much less than what is stated here so I would suggest further research in your local area if money is an important factor in whether you could go ahead with Fostering.

The writing is nice however and it was certainly a good place to start. There is a range of contacts and websites at the end and this has been the most useful aspect of the book for me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20