Profile for Adam Bartleby > Reviews

Content by Adam Bartleby

Adam Bartleby "Bartleby2009" (London, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Tacwise 1153 Combi Cable Stapler
Tacwise 1153 Combi Cable Stapler
Price: 24.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and powerful, but better for outside use, 19 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have previously used white plastic cable holders with tacks for tidying away all sorts of cables, which can be pretty time consuming although the results are aesthetically pleasing. This cable stapler is fast and easy to use and able to drive it's 'U' shaped staples into most surfaces, with a 'v' shaped guide under the staple exit point that reduces the risk of misalignment and stapling through a cable.

However, for indoor use the results aren't fantastic - the gun drives the staples in at a uniform depth, so slim cables are held loose (e.g. a light cable may not appear taught and straight against the wall) and the 'v' shaped guide can leave scratches on painted surfaces.

Overall, ideal for outside or jobs that aren't overly visible, but for internal use I'd still go for plastic cable holders and tacks.

World Search - Amazing Jobs
World Search - Amazing Jobs
by Lonely Planet
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Just not that well thought through, 3 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was drawn to this title by the Lonely Planet logo, but I didn't find the book to be very well put together.

On the face of it, this title is similar to the Usborne lift the flap 'see inside' books, but whereas the Usborne books are something that a child can spend hour pouring over the intricate, interesting and amusing detail, I found the scenes in this title seemed bit rushed , lacking and not all that interesting - it just feels like an early, rough draft rather than a final product.

I was struck with the sense that this title plays on its affiliation to Lonely Planet, and that if it hadn't had that badge then perhaps more time would have been spent on finishing it to a higher standard. Sorry.

Fisher-Price Thomas & Friends Thomas Railroad Rewards Potty
Fisher-Price Thomas & Friends Thomas Railroad Rewards Potty
Price: 21.50

4.0 out of 5 stars An instant hit, 24 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Context: I have a 37 month old daughter who has refused to use the potty until this month. She is also a big Thomas fan.

This Thomas potty was not the cause of the breakthrough, but it has certainly helped. I opened the packaging in the kitchen and, while my back was turned collapsing the boxes for recycling, M did a wee in the 'Tommy potty', and that was before she knew it plays the new Thomas theme music!

The music feature works through two electrical contacts on the base of the pan - the child wees and the liquid completes the circuit and either music plays or a train whistle blows. It doesn't always work though, is fairly quiet and doesn't recognise a poo.

As a potty, the base is very stable, the toilet seat similar to that of a normal toilet, and the pan easy to remove for cleaning. The sound unit, which is about the size of a large bar of soap, is also easily unclipped from underneath the base allowing you to immerse the whole unit for a proper clean.

This potty is a neat novelty, but not an essential item, although my daughter did deliberately bypass her normal potty this morning to go downstairs to use her 'Tommy one!

Large Naughty Monkeys on tree vine Wall Art Sticker Decal for nursery Bedroom Decor Removable baby Kids room wall mural children birthday party Decoration Home Wall Art Decoration
Offered by coolfashionstore
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks as good as it does in the photo, 20 Mar 2014
These stickers don't look like much when you look at them on their backing paper, but once you have them up on the wall they look brilliant - like they have been painted on! They are very easy to apply and there is a handy picture sticker of the overall layout to help you put the bits in the 'right' places.

I put this above the door of my 3 year old daughters room to complement the giant lead canopies that I got from Ikea to go over her bed.

Well worth a go - if you don't like them, or your child outgrows them you can peel them off easily and they don't leave a mark on the wall.

Babyway Baby Carrier 3-in-1
Babyway Baby Carrier 3-in-1
Price: 22.09

1.0 out of 5 stars Slings are fantastic, but this is false economy, 20 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Context: I have a three year old daughter who I carried almost exclusively in a sling from birth to nearly three and a 7 week old baby that I similarly carry in a sling. I have used the Caboo Close Carrier, the Beco Butterfly, a generic ring sling, a mei tai and an Olives and Apple Sauce (US import).

All of the above have qualities to recommend them, depending on the age of your child and your personal preferences, but I couldn't find anything that I liked about the Babyway, which I tested with my then three week old baby.

Firstly, the upper part of the baby carrying pouch cannot be tightened sufficiently to support a newborn's head, which is left to loll around (compared to the Caboo Close, which is very snug for newborns, or the Beco Butterfly, which offers a fully adjustable head support), while the base of the baby bit is too narrow to maintain the correct 'froggy legs' position whereby your baby wraps their knees around you, which is most comfortable for him and you.

Secondly, the carrier just doesn't feel very well fitted to wear - the baby pouch seems very high, while the overall feel of the construction is pretty poor compared to all of the above slings that I have tried.

Looking at the price, it seems that the manufacturers are trying to sell a sling that ticks the boxes of a more expensive model but at a fraction of the price. However, in this case it is my opinion that you get what you pay for and, if this were your first experience of baby slinging, you will be back pushing the buggy in no time, which is a shame because slings give you fantastic intimacy with your baby, allowing them to share your warmth, feel and hear your breathing and heartbeat and allows you to have a good chat to them while giving you both tremendous freedom not to have to worry about stairs, buses, car fumes and snowsuits etc (just zip your fleece up around them!).

My advice would be to look up a local 'sling library', a voluntary group where you can try lots of different slings for next to nothing before opting for what is right for you and your baby. If you get the right sling, you may not use your buggy at all (I used by bugaboo about 5 times in two years before selling it), so it's worth spending as much as you would spend on a modest buggy (i.e. 80-140 - we aren't talking a 500 bugaboo here).

Almo Nature Rouge Dry with Chicken 750 g
Almo Nature Rouge Dry with Chicken 750 g
Price: 7.90

4.0 out of 5 stars I have a cat with a very ticky tummy, 18 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a 5 year old pseudo Russian Blue cat, called Mr. Blue Cat, who has a tendency to vomit every other day, but otherwise show no other signs of illness and seems vital and healthy - the vet said that they couldn't identify a particular cause but suggested trying different foods until we found something that works for him.

Mr. Blue Cat's main dry food is James Welbeloved and Almo Nature seems to similarly, relatively, agree with his ticky tummy and he only vomits barely digested food once every two or three days - that doesn't sound like a strong recommendation, but it sounds pretty good when you compare it to his experience of IAMS, when he had terrible diarrhea and vomiting.

Children's Kids DOUBLE BED SIZE DINOSAUR DESIGN DUVET COVER AND PILLOWCASE SET By Viceroybedding

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't knock it for the price, 2 Mar 2014
The pictures speak for themselves - colourful, double sized and reversible (one side has big dinos without text, the other has slightly smaller dinos with their names underneath.

Some reviewers have complained about fading, which caused me to pause before buying. I needn't have worried. I haven't found fading to be an issue - they may have faded a little, but nothing to write home about (I wash at 40' btw).

They feel a bit synthetic, but there have been no complaints and I would only hold that against them if they were twice as expensive, which they aren't!

Forge 75 x 100mm London Shelf Bracket - Grey
Forge 75 x 100mm London Shelf Bracket - Grey
Price: 6.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!, 2 Mar 2014
I was building some simple shelves for tins of tomatoes etc in the utility room but I couldn't find brackets small enough in the DIY superstores. This were exactly what I was looking for and they arrived quickly.

Tacwise HD-73 73/12mm Heavy Duty Plier Bundle Staples (5 Boxes of 5000)
Tacwise HD-73 73/12mm Heavy Duty Plier Bundle Staples (5 Boxes of 5000)
Price: 53.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Saves office space, 2 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We had a large, desktop, heavy duty stapler for large documents. However, since we use paper less than we did, and since we have tried cutting down on office space, a handheld stapler seemed a suitable replacement.

The arm lever action is pretty good, so you don't have to be particularly strong to staple through a pretty thick wad of paper.

It also had some unexpected uses - I used it to repair 12 foam pirate swords for me 3 year old's birthday!

Moto G 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black
Moto G 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black
Price: 158.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Au revoir, Apple, 23 Feb 2014
Everyone else has already covered the phone in general, so what I'd like to add is my experience coming from an iPhone 3GS to the Android powered, budget priced, Moto G. The below is my experience, in case you are in a similar boat - I'm not remotely interested n 'specs', just utility / actual experience, so here we go...

I loved my iPhone and it gave great service - it never really went wrong but was ultimately defeated by Apple's insistence that you should not be able to extend the life of the phone beyond that of the built-in battery, and at the four year point it was time to either give in an buy a new iPhone of take a chance on the competition.

I was nervous about spending a wad of cash on a 'cheap' phone that I might hate and then have to sell-on at a loss before buying an expensive one, and I did seriously think about spending 500+ on a new iPhone. I had previously played with a Galaxy Ace and there was no way I would have swapped my 3GS for it.

So, i was relieved as much as I was impressed by the Moto G. It feels solid, much like the 3GS, the screen is beautiful and the Android OS, while more fiddly than iOS (my mum can work her iPad, i don't think she'd get on with Android), actually does a lot more - my home screen, for example, has a widget showing the status of my trains to work or to home, depending on my location, while the integration with Google is, for me, a lot more useful than integration with Apple. The Moto G also has a glowing LED indicator light (ala blackberry) to tell you if you have a new notification (email, text, new information from an app etc).

A few quibbles:
1. Unlike the iPhone, there is no physical mute button (which I found very handy on the 3GS)
2. I can't figure out a simple way to do voice dialing.
3. Android seems to use more data on 3G then my iPhone did (I had previously had a 500mb allowance, which wasn't enough)
4. The camera is no better, in my experience, than that of the iPhone 3GS (I couldn't care less about megapixels, I'm only interested in results, and these really aren't great, but they are better than anything I grew up with and the phone is such a low price, they had to make savings somewhere).

So, as an old-school iPhone user who is more interested in utility than having a phone to pose with, I am basically very, very happy with the Moto G - the additional three or four hundred pounds that it would have cost me for a 'up market' phone would, for me, have been a waste of money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13