Profile for simongervais > Reviews

Ballet For Dummies
Ballet For Dummies
by Scott Speck

3.0 out of 5 stars BALLET FOR DUMMIES FOR FUN, 22 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Ballet For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a highly amusing book, written in a very original way.
However, as an aide to me actually learning Ballet it quickly lost its usefulness.
You actually have to READ great chunks of text to get anything from it, and the wit can become tiresome when you just want to know whether to put this foot into 3rd or 5th, etc. So hard book to use whilst you are actually trying out the steps.
The illustrations are too small and not clear enough for me, and once again not easy to use whilst practising because you need to keep the book close to you in order to read the small pictures.
I also found the pictures hard to follow, the caption and numbering was confusing. Often you seemed to get a couple of pictures to cover a step in 4parts, so you could sometimes be left wondering what happened in the "missing" two pictures. For example, how did that forward foot in 3rd get behind into coup de pied.
Large illustrations, perhaps with arrows to indicate the move into or out of a position would be more useful to me. Also helpful would have been a CD with the book to accompany your exercises instead of telling you to go and find a certain piece.
Finally, my own classes taught different positions, different sequences, different exercises so I quickly had to choose between the live class or the funny but not too helpful book.

I'm Ok, You're Ok
I'm Ok, You're Ok
by Thomas A. Harris

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting subject Introduction, but very dated, 27 Feb. 2002
This review is from: I'm Ok, You're Ok (Paperback)
My therapist suggested that I read this book, and the author's concept of CHILD -- PARENT -- ADULT was very interesting, very relevant to my situation, and the book was worth reading for that alone.
BUT, I got thoroughly irritated by the constant "He\Him" use. Nowadays Political Correctness would ensure that Harris used non-gender terms instead.
"PC" can be over-rated, but Harris was clearly out of date here, and some of his other practices and philosophies are out of step with the more egalitarian world we now live in. Patients have charters, rights, and they expect more choice and respect than are obvious in this writing.
So I was left thinking: "If Harris is out of date in these areas, could his ideas and conclusions also be tired and overtaken by 30years of further study.
Perhaps this is unfair on the author. The book was useful to me, but you need to follow it with something more recent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2010 10:32 PM BST