Profile for Joseph Mcadam > Reviews

Content by Joseph Mcadam

Joseph Mcadam (Glasgow, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
55Wh Original A1185 A1181 Laptop Battery Lavolta® for Apple MacBook 13" White compatible with MA561 MA561FE/A MA561G/A MA561J/A MA561LL/A MA566 MA566FE/A MA566G/A MA566J/A MA566LL/A
Offered by Smart Parts UK, Digital Lifestyle Retailer

4.0 out of 5 stars Never Mind Charger Reviews, Is The Battery Any Good?, 25 Jun. 2015
Not bought this battery, yet, as I came here to read reviews. For some strange reason, most of the reviews are about chargers, not the battery. How odd. Has anyone bought this battery for a 2009 MBP 13"? If so, any feedback in the comment section appreciated. PS. I didn't want to give the product one star having not even bought the thing, so I optimistically gave it 4.

AVANTEK CP165 14''-16'' Laptop Notebook Cooling Pad Chill Mat with 5 Blue LED Fans
Offered by Avantek UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Unit, but the USB Cable Will Let You Down, 25 Feb. 2015
Works well, definitely keeps the laptop cool. I bought mine 9 months ago and, sadly, will have to get another. The main unit is fine - the problem is the cheap USB cable is at the point where I have to twist and turn it to get a connection to the fans. It's a real shame having to dump the main unit just because the USB cable has given-up. If I thought I could purchase the cable only, I would. Maybe the manufacturer should include a spare...

Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black
Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 14 Jun. 2014
I've been using this drive for around 8 months, now. I initially bought it to use as an archive for downloaded material (our own personal Netflix) and soon had 500gb of content stored. Plays well through our Samsung smart bluray player, minimal hassles. I've recently started using a second M3 drive it as an external for storing Final Cut Pro projects - again, no problems (if you're on Mac, just remember to reformat the M3 or FCP won't recognise it). A 2 minute job.

Great drive and well worth buying (glad we bought 2).

Laptop and Notebook USB Cooling Cooler Stand Pad with 5 Fans and Blue LED - 10-17 Inches T5
Offered by ChanceryChairCover

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helps the laptop cool down., 1 Jun. 2014
I use Final Cut Pro on my 13" MacbookPro which causes it to heat-up to what feels like danger levels. Since using the Cooler Stand, there's a big difference in temperature and it even speeds up workflow. Some comments complain about noise - these people must have really sensitive hearing as the noise of the 4 smaller fans is barely audible. With the fifth - and larger - fan running there's a faint sound which vanishes with even the slightest bit of external sound (TV, music etc). The pad sits well on the lap or on a flat surface, although I would avoid angles as it can slide. As a gadget guy, I have to admit the blue lights seal the deal.
The only con - and it doesn't affect me - is that it may not be as smooth with larger laptops. A 15" would be the limit - I wouldn't even attempt using it with out 17' MacPro.
Some say the fans break after a few months. To be honest, at £12.99, I wouldn't mind just ordering another. So if you're using a 13" laptop - perfect! 15" - Good. 17" - buy a bigger pad...

Beauty and the Beast [DVD]
Beauty and the Beast [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paige O'Hara
Offered by A2Z Entertains

2.0 out of 5 stars Disney Greed!, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Beauty and the Beast [DVD] (DVD)
Why is the DVD of a film made back in the 90's more expensive than a new release blu-ray? Is it because Disney likes to keep its premium titles at silly prices knowing parents will eventually buckle? Probably. And they wonder why people turn to illegal downloads. Less greed from the studios, less pirating from the public. Simple.

New Sevenoak SK-W02 1/4" Screw Pro Cam Video Steady Stabilizer for Nikon Canon Sony DSLR Camera Camcorders
Offered by Oxford Street

3.0 out of 5 stars Avoid unless you use a heavy DSLR, 17 Jan. 2014
As I'm making a short amateur film a week from now, I decided to buy the Sevenoak SKW02 on the strength of some YouTube videos featuring the stabiliser in action. Having read the Amazon description, specifically that the stabiliser could handle anything from mobile phones, to camcorders and on to 1kg, I happily purchased it.
The item arrived promptly and well packaged - no complaint, there. The problem is that regardless of the description given by Amazon and the manufacturer, the SK W02 is quite useless with cameras weighing 400g or less. The weights supplied (2x 180g and 1x 270g) are either too light or too heavy for a camcorder like mine (a run of the mill Panasonic HV720). I returned again to YouTube to find some people having the same problem resorted to buying assortments of washers, screws, nuts and bolts to modify their SKW02 for regular camcorders.
For me, this isn't acceptable. I purchased the item with the reasonable expectation that, once out the box and after some experimentation with the supplied parts, I would be up and running, not having to buy bits and bobs from the local ironmongers and learning how to build my own stabiliser.
I've given it 3 stars because it would be unfair to completely stain the model's reputation. If you have a camera that weighs 500g plus, I'm sure you'll be happy. However, I'm angry that the manufacturer (and Amazon) states what is basically a lie in it's specifications. I'm giving it a few more days before sending it back in case I'm doing something wrong or a simple solution can be found. If so, I'll be sure to amend this review. Buy with caution.

Jealiot Camcorder Case for Panasonic HC-V720, HC-X920 - Detachable Accessory Compartment for Charger, Cables and Accessories

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Bag, 15 Jan. 2014
This is a sturdy, well enforced little bag. I say little as it's a fair bit smaller than I expected (that'll teach me for not reading the size specs), but for a small cam like mine, it really does the job. Apart from the main cam section, I like the lower compartment - great space for cables and such. Delivery was excellent - arrived within 2 days and in perfect condition. All good.

Red Hot Chili Peppers Gold Disc & Guitar Picks, Signed A4 Sized Display (Vinyl effect CD Replica Gold Disc)

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy This, 26 Sept. 2013
Be very wary when buying this. Although the photo has a black frame and suggests (as you would expect) that it comes in a frame of some sort, it's actually a sheet of A4 photo paper (NOT even sturdy card) with a blank CD, a photo of the band and some plectrums stuck to it. Not the 'display' item stated in the description. I could literally make one myself. The CD isn't even a picture disc! It's just a CD with a photo glued on. My niece is a big fan of the band and wanted this for her birthday, planning to hang it on her wall. I'm actually embarrassed giving it to her.

At £12 (actual cost more like £3) it's a good old fashioned con. Annoyed at myself for falling for it. I would send this crap back but her birthday's tomorrow. Looks like I'm going out to find a frame myself.

PS. It has a crease in one corner.

Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free] [2013]
Dvd ~ Chris Pine

3.0 out of 5 stars Less Star Trek, more action adventure., 29 Aug. 2013
No need for in-depth review - others here are taking care of that. Summary - this is a great sci-fi action adventure, but as a Star Trek film, it comes off almost like a remake/spoof of Wrath Of Khan. Lazy writing and very little respect paid to the franchise. As for the Bluray, it looks like they're pulling the usual scam; buy this release without audio commentary or deleted scenes/docs, then buy it again a few months down the line when they release a 'special' edition. So sick of these greedy studios fleecing the fans. In this case, I'm not that bothered about the aforementioned, so I'll buy this one and make do with the brief extras. As for the inevitable second, more extras-heavy release, well they can keep it. If you're a hardcore Trek fan, hold out.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2013 4:52 PM BST

160 LED CN-160 Dimmable Ultra High Power Panel Digital Camera / Camcorder Video
160 LED CN-160 Dimmable Ultra High Power Panel Digital Camera / Camcorder Video
Offered by Andoer

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy for the money., 16 July 2013
I'm learning how to make short films and bought this light to start me off. Extremely bright with an excellent dimmer. I filmed (in total) for a good 18 hours off one set of batteries. To see what it can do, see the video I made for a band on YouTube: (Peri - Can This Be Mine?).

Would definitely recommend purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3