Profile for JC > Reviews

Content by JC

JC

The Food of India: A Journey for Food Lovers (Food of the World)
The Food of India: A Journey for Food Lovers (Food of the World)
by Murdoch Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised!, 8 Oct. 2012
If I'm honest, I bought this book as much for the pictures as for the recipes. It's an interesting read on its own without the cooking aspect of it and if I'm honest I wasn't expecting this to be a book full of authetic-tasting dishes since it combines recipes from various cooks chefs. However, having tried a few of the recipes, I have been pleasantly surprised.
The book is packed full of a good variety of dishes for starters, mains, and desserts. There is a good section on street food too which is rare to find in indian cookbooks. Totally recommend this book!

50 Great Curries of India
50 Great Curries of India
by Camellia Panjabi

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little book!, 8 Oct. 2012
I've had this book for about 7 years now and will still pick it up for inspiration over any of my other indian cookbooks. Being a British Indian bought up on curries, both homemade and in various restaurants, I can vouch for the authenticity of the recipes in this book. The book focuses on main dishes, and there isn't a huge variety of vegetarian dishes, but it is possible to use the base ingredients to create a delicious curry base or sauce and to add whatever main ingredients you like, whether meat or veg. What I like most about this book is that all the recipes provide a list of whole spices to be used to create the various freshly ground 'masalas' as oppose to asking for a curry paste or pre-made spice mix like other books, which gives you the flexibility to chop and change the recipe if you are feeling experimental, although I am sure you won't need to alter many of the recipes in this book. I sometimes like to add the spice mix recipe in the lamb biriyani to my own recipe for chicken curry for an added twist. The Parsee Red Chicken recipe is a must!

BRIO 33769 Wooden Railway System: Smart Track Wagon
BRIO 33769 Wooden Railway System: Smart Track Wagon
Offered by scificollectorshop

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than your standard train but could be better, 8 Oct. 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this wagon to replace my sons green brio smart track engine train which became faulty (and now seems impossible to purchase anywhere). Since we already had the smart track rail peices and the chipped workshop and station, I thought this smart track wagon would be ideal since the idea is that the chips in both the wagon and the track pieces would interact to make sounds and automatically start and stop like the original smart track engine. This wagon does interact with the chips to make sounds (sometimes it makes sounds without the chips!), but it needs to be pushed along and stopped manually which takes a little bit of the fun out. It would be better if it was fully battery operated and automatically started and stopped in interaction with the smart track chips like the smart track engine did. Still, it's better than nothing and does compliment the other smart track range.

Viners 18 Pce BBQ set in Metal Case
Viners 18 Pce BBQ set in Metal Case
Offered by LUXURY EXPRESS

5.0 out of 5 stars All the BBQ tools you'll ever need in one case!, 8 Oct. 2012
I ordered this tool set as we had our first big BBQ party planned with our new BBQ but no tools. Not knowing what tools we'd need, I figured I'd order this set and hopefully would it would be enough. I told my boss (who is a keen BBQ'er) that I was expecting to receive an 18 piece BBQ Tool set and he laughed, saying all I should need is a flipper and tongs. He was intrigued to see what would make up an 18 piece set, and when my package arrived at work and I opened it infront of him, I'm pretty sure he was very envious. The parcel arrived well packaged with all the tools in place inside the case, and an apron and oven gloves. My envied colleagues told me that we'd never use all the tools included, but I am pleased to say that by the time our BBQ was over, every single tool (except for the Corn holders) was used by our BBQ chef! I totally recommend this set to novices and self-proclaimed BBQ kings alike! The tools are a good size, pretty good quality and should be quite durable.