Profile for A. Hulme > Reviews

Content by A. Hulme

A. Hulme "ahulme66" (Manchester, U.K.)

The Martian
The Martian

5.0 out of 5 stars Technical but fantastic., 16 Oct. 2015
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
I think you have to be at least a little interested in science and technology to fully enjoy the book but the jokey narrative makes it much more accessible. The best book I've read in a long time. Sad I've finished it but looking forward to the film.

I imagined Watney as Matt Damon - good choice of actor, visually and voice-wise at least.

Clinical Anatomy: a Revision and Applied Anatomy for Clinical Students
Clinical Anatomy: a Revision and Applied Anatomy for Clinical Students
by Harold Ellis

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful in the right hands..., 18 Jun. 2007
As a first year medical student, I was faced with the ld conundrum of which aatomy books to use and purchased martini at the start of the year. However, although an excellent book, I found that some minor details were just lacking and the clinical questions asked in anatomy sessions just weren't covered.

My anatomy demonstrator recommended this book and I took it out from the library. I was a litle skeptical at first due to the simplicity of the drawings but this is perhaps one of the major advantages of the book. Rather than show everything that is visible in a particular view, ellis shows just the bits which are relevant tot hat particular section of the book, so as not to clutter the diagram. The diagrams are almost schematic in appearance and are good for familiarising yourself with the basic shape and relations before observing them in real life.

The text is full prose, with few subheadings. This makes the book a little harder to skim through to get te info required, but at the same time encourages you to read a section, which i personally found beneficial. The sections are concise with lots of clinical relevance and the uncluttered layout is a pleasant change from most anatomy /A&P books.

All in all, I give this book four stars as I think it is an excellent anatomy resource but principally in addition to a more detailed book. Although not lacking as a standalone book, Ellis is somewhat less thorough than other books but offers a highly useful and informative style that is not found in many anatomy books.

Garden State - Music From The Motion Picture
Garden State - Music From The Motion Picture

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Brilliance, 4 April 2005
After getting the Garden State CD from er somewhere, I watched it and it immediately became my favourite film. Ever. I watched it again the next day and the music really stuck with me so I bought the album and it's quite possibly the best compilation CD i've ever heard. I thought that the Shrek soundtrack(s) were good but this is just perfect. The songs as well as being superb in their own right constantly remind you of scenes from the film and that's no bad things. I particularl like the shins' two offerings as well as Fair by Remo and Waiting Line by Zero 7, although all the songs are genuinely amazing. The only exception is Such great heights by Iron and Wine, but perhaps only because I love the Postal Service and after hearing their brilliant version, this one seems just annoyingly slow and somewhat poncey but it fits in better on the cd than the more upbeat original would have done. Anyways that's all from me and all I can do is implore you to buy it and see the film too if you haven't already - it's a cracker.

Grand Theft Auto III Platinum
Grand Theft Auto III Platinum
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of 3, 28 Jan. 2005
Firstly don't get me wrong, GTAs Vice City and San Andreas are truly breathtaking, awesome games, but there's just something not quite right about them. Maybe they're just too big. Having to eat does get a bit annoying as does getting shot at from the word go in SA. Also, even for a self admitted profanity-holic like myself, the language in SA is absolutely attrocious.
GTA3 however suffers none of these problems. It is a huge city (3 islands) but still small enough so you can get to know your way around, making frequent trips to the map screen a thing of the past (or future as it seems. Sure there are no planes bikes or choppers but the cars just fit in so well. I've spent many a happy hour just screaming round the airport in the Infernus Lamborghini-alike just pulling donuts and the like purely for the kicks. The missions are darkly comedic as are the characters (Asuka and the 'massager', EL Burro and his ahem reading material). The game will take ages to complete and there are plenty of side missions to keep you going, but driving round really is such a massive pleasure. Well it was for me.
But the piece de resistance of the game has got to be the sound. The hilariously cynical DJ Laszlow, the adverts and the genuinely incredible songs recorded just for the game. There's a wide variety of stations but not so many that u never hear your favourite lines again.
GTA3 was the first game I got for the PS2 and i purchased both VC and SA on the days they came out but they just don't feel as friendly or fun as their immediate predecessor. It is truly a masterpiece of gaming and I have just rebought the Platinum edition and although I do not play many games any more, I really can't wait to get back into Liberty City.