ARRAY(0xafd9b84c)

Offered by Gadget Grotto
Price: 9.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Yikes - a close shave indeed!, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've wavered between electric and wet shaves for years - I like the convenience of electric, but the closeness of a wet shave is often preferable. Well, if you have worries about time-consumption when it comes to shaving, this Shavette may not be for you as a hurried shave could well be your last!!
This is basically the old fashioned cut-throat razor that has been around for centuries, but with the added bonus of replaceable razors meaning you don't have to sharpen it. Therefore all the same caution of amateur wet-shaving should be adhered to - take your time, think about the angle, move your hand and angle of the razor to match your face's contours. Once you have got the hang of it, (and, if you're anything like me, several plasters later....) this will help upi achieve the closest and smoothest shave you've ever had, provided you use a decent foam as well. Plus the blades are cheap to replace (my barber uses these for doing the back of my neck and he uses a new blade with every customer), and best of all it just looks COOL : both sitting in your bathroom, and in your hand. It makes you feel like a real man.... ;-)

Adventures in Raspberry Pi
Adventures in Raspberry Pi
by Carrie Anne Philbin
Price: 10.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Great projects to open up a whole world of possibilities, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'll own up - I got this book for me to use, a 33 year old fella with no experience in programming at all. I bought a Raspberry Pi as soon as they were available with honest intentions to teach myself some basic coding, but the thing has been sitting in its box for well over a year and I've not managed anything more flamboyant than downloading and installing XMBC, a free-source media playing programme with it's own operating system.
However, I have read a few of the chapters of this excellent book, and flicked through all the others, and I can confirm that it really does as expected - teaches you the basics, with the focus on kid-friendly creative projects like creating sprites basic games, animation and the like.The projects are aimed at ages 8-12 I'd guess, so if you are looking for more complex challenges or a guide on how to turn the Pi in to a networked DLNA media server (my eventual, longed-for goal!) then perhaps you need to look elsewhere. The lessons are each simply taught, with step-by-step guides for each along with screen-grabs, and references to other sections of the book where appropriate so you don't have to go hunting when you think "now, how was that done...?". The other benefit is the format - being a book rather than an on-line guide or video, you don't need a separate screen to read from while you're coding. A simple thing but so often over-looked nowadays!

The basic core concepts behind the book are fundamental to getting the most out of your Pi, and whether you're buying this for a youngster or as an early step in to the possibilities of Pi, it's a worthy purchase.

Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Price: 30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit!, 5 April 2014
I've been looking for an easy solution to viewing netflix in my bedroom, as well as viewing local files held on my PC. My bluray player and PS3 allowed me to do this but I didn't keep either in the bedroom usually. Along comes this 30 piece of kit that basically allows me to do ALL of this. The Chromecast effectively acts as a media streaming device that you control using apps on your tablet, phone or PC. It's increadibly simple to set up, loads media quickly and is very responsive. HD video is fast and smooth. There are multiple apps out there allowing you to use the Chromecast in various ways, but even within Google Chrome there is lots of inbuilt funtionality - simply direct Chrome on your PC or phone to file:///C:/ (in your address bar) and you can access all your video files, music, photos etc, select the file u want and hit the little cast button in the top right, select your chromecast and bada-boom - there it is on your TV.

This is new and the funtionality can only grow from here. Recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2014 10:32 PM BST

Silver Onyx Pendant with 46cm Curb Chain
Silver Onyx Pendant with 46cm Curb Chain
Price: 21.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Wife loves it, 27 Mar 2014
This was a Valentine's present for my wife - she wears a lot of black and dark colours. This work's beautifully with her clothing, long graceful neck and pale skin. The chain was a bit shorter than I expected but it's fine. Defintely a winner!

Mens Military Camouflage Design Jogging Bottoms/Jog Pants (Waist: 36 inch (Large) (Open Cuff)) (Green Camouflage)
Offered by Universal Textiles & Footwear
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfy but colours fade v quickly, 27 Mar 2014
These joggers are great for wearing round the house - especially if you are a clumsy oaf like me that spills coffee and food all over himself as the pattern does a great job at hiding the stains! :-)
However, after the first wash I noticed that the colour had drained out of them, significantly. Two more washes and the colour loss seems to have plateaued but it's hardly ideal. Instead of the high-contrast colours shown in the picture, the joggers are now various shades of greeny-grey.... But still very comfy!

G Data Internet Security 2013 1 user 1 year license (PC)
G Data Internet Security 2013 1 user 1 year license (PC)
Price: 37.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - Has sped up my old laptop, 27 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a creaky, 5 year old Dell Vostro 1500 laptop running Vista, which I've since replaced with a blazingly quick desktop. However, I wanted a 'slave' machine I could use to stream media to, and run Netflix on etc so I re-formatted the laptop and installed the minimum software. I chose G Data Internet Security to protect the laptop from intrusions, trojans etc and it was a good choice. I'm only working with 2GB RAM so and 160GB HDD so I needed something lightweight that doesn't require too many resources. This package delivered exactly what I needed. Installed within 30 mins, patches and updates installed within another 15-30 mins, restarted and that was it. It now runs silently in the background, with occasional pop-ups to notify me of scheduled updates and backups, but these have no noticeable impact on the laptop's performance.
G-Data is definitely a name you can trust and I will be considering them again when I come to renew in a year.

PhotoDirector 5 Ultra (PC)
PhotoDirector 5 Ultra (PC)
Price: 62.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Great package for novices and pro's, 20 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'll admit I have always been put off by the functional complexity of older photo editing software - to the extent that I have steered well clear of it for a long time. However, having recently purchased a lovely digital SLR from a mate, I thought it was about time to see how things have changed. Bearing in mind we now have things like Instagram that can create amazing effects just using a phone, I hoped things had improved significantly.
Happily I was proved right. Photodirector 5 is a fab piece of software that is neatly comparmentalised so you are always aware of what your are doing, and where to find a tool etc. The UI is hugely improved - no more grey, XP-like masses of menus like Photoshop had back in the day. I am running an i5 with 8MB of RAM and a mid-level graphics card. It's pretty speedy at most tasks, though I am aware that photo editing is a particularly resource-intensive activity. However, this efficient software doesn't slow me down much at all, provided I'm not running loads of other programmes in parallel. Generally, I shoot in RAW or just below, so we're talking 16-20MB per picture. Adding any of the pre-loaded effects is simplicity, and these can be tweaked as much as you wish. I've taken some fairly poorly composed and badly lit photos and touched them up to look great in no time at all. Obviously if you are a total perfectionist there is enough depth here to virtually 're-take' your photo, but so far I have been paddling in the shallow end of the pool when it comes to the functionality available. But that is the beauty of this software - it naturally leads you down to the deep end, at your own pace, if you want. I still think it's a bit pricey considering the range of free software out there nowadays, which is why I knocked off a star, but compared to the older packages this is actually damn cheap!!

Sage Instant Financial Package 2014 (PC)
Sage Instant Financial Package 2014 (PC)
Price: 188.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a contender, 20 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For a long time, Sage has been the go-to market leader for book-keepers, office managers, small business owners and those starting down the road to accounting proper. This latest package maintains that lineage of excellence, and offers everything you could want in terms of keeping track of your company's business. However, it hasn't managed to keep up with some of the other packages like QuickBooks in terms of providing a complete suite of software which integrates seamlessly with your other software. If you have no experience of using software like this, Sage can be a little daunting at first. You'll likely find yourself looking up 'how to do XYZ' on Google at some point or another. But for balancing the books of a small firm this is still a great, cost effective package that is easily recommended.

QuickBooks Pro 2014 + Enhanced Payroll 2014 Bundle - 1 Year Subscription - 1 User (PC)
Price: 165.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Accounting made easy(ish!), 20 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm terrible with numbers and hate unintuitive software. So QuickBooksPro 2014 was a revelation to me. The user-interface is simple and straightforward to use. It combines all the programmes a small business owner needs to ensure the books are balanced, staff are being paid, tax/PAYE is being calculated correctly, and even allows you to maintain oversight of your stock figures.

That it so seamlessly integrates with the Microsoft Office suite of programmes (Word, Excel etc) is a huge bonus and makes the simple things like printing payslips or putting together a presentation extremely intuitive (assuming you have a decent working knowledge of how those other bits of software work, of course).

No one likes having to do this sort of thing, but if it's a choice between a programme like this or hiring someone to do it for you - this wins every time.

Cards Against Humanity: UK edition
Cards Against Humanity: UK edition
Offered by Cards Against Humanity, LLC.
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game ever - just don't play with anyone easily offended!, 21 Feb 2014
I first played this game when a friend's girlfriend visited from the States and brought the original US version with her. We played it with 8 consenting adults, all pretty average white middle-class professionals, and good friends. Suddenly, we were all saying things we would never ever dream of saying in everyday conversation.

This game brings out the dark side in you, the evil thing which lurks locked behind manners and niceties and cultural norms.

And the best thing is, no matter if you win or lose you have a brilliant laugh! A lot of it is luck, with some cards just being better answers than others, but a lot of it is knowing the people you're playing with and how their minds work. Personally, I love to play cards that imply some sort of weird story, especially on the rounds where you have to submit to cards. However, my brain is clearly wired differently to my friends' cos I rarely win on those goes!

This game is hilarious. We loved it so much we bought the UK version and recently played it with a couple we were staying with - we played for 5 hours non-stop, getting drunker and drunker, and laughing harder and harder.....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20