Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Victor" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
From Armageddon to the Fall of Rome: How the Myth Makers Changed the World
From Armageddon to the Fall of Rome: How the Myth Makers Changed the World
by Erik Durschmied

4.0 out of 5 stars An introductory read!, 25 Sept. 2008
I now think of Erik Durschmied's writing as equivalent to Ridley Scott's film making. By this I mean, anyone who's seen Gladiator or Kingdom of Heaven cannot be in any doubt as to Ridley's ability to bring the graphic yet exciting face of the field of battle to life for the observer. I have similar feelings when reading Erik's description of battles.

The only downside in relation to this book is the author's effort in trying to condense what other authors take whole volumes to write about into individual chapters. Hence, my conclusion that the book be considered an introduction to the various subjects it covers.

An enjoyable read, provided you're not put off by some of the alleged dialogue and thoughts of the protagonists.

Beware the Dragon: China - 1000 Years of Bloodshed
Beware the Dragon: China - 1000 Years of Bloodshed
by Erik Durschmied

4.0 out of 5 stars Much more enjoyable when read as Historical Fiction., 6 Sept. 2008
I cannot say for certain if any subsequent reviewers will agree with me but I still want to make the point that I enjoyed this book.

'Beware the Dragon' covers a number of crucial moments in Chinese History. My only warning to potential readers is that you might have some difficulty dealing with Mr. Durschmied's penchant for putting words into the mouths of some characters.

Other than this, the author demonstrates a good grasp of the oriental mind and knows how to tell a good story. My favourites were the chapters covering the Mongols and the Boxer Rebellion. Remember, if you're a stickler for facts this might not be a book for you, however, if you can get by viewing some parts as historical fiction then you might just enjoy this book.

The Wayward Mind: An Intimate History of the Unconscious
The Wayward Mind: An Intimate History of the Unconscious
by Professor Guy Claxton

4.0 out of 5 stars A good history of the Unconscious., 6 Sept. 2008
A very good insight into the intricate workings of the mind. I particularly enjoyed the early chapters of the book which focus on how our early ancestors may have come to terms with baffling life issues such as what happens when we sleep or dream and when people die. Through these life encounters, we see how formulations of the soul come about and of life after death.

We see the ancient Egyptians and Greeks coping with these matters through their mythology, religion and philosophy. And then we are introduced to medieval notions of the soul and from there arrive in the Cartesian era of the rational mind. The author also does a good job presenting the Romantics' counter to Descartes' postulate of the conscious mind as the basis of 'intelligence'.

I should point out that the book draws on numerous anecdotes from a variety of cultures to make its point and not just the western experience. There is enough coverage of the contributions of the likes of Freud and Jung to the understanding of the mind and copious experiments to mystify or baffle the reader.

For me personally, this book's a keeper. It does require the occasional effort to grasp some points but rewards the perservering reader in equal measure to their efforts. I hope Prof. Claxton will provide us with an update on any developments with another book sometime in the future.

The Wars of Alexander's Successors 323 - 281 BC: Commanders and Campaigns v. 1
The Wars of Alexander's Successors 323 - 281 BC: Commanders and Campaigns v. 1
by Bob Bennett

4.0 out of 5 stars A timely, informative and very interesting read!, 3 Aug. 2008
As someone with a general interest in ancient history I had just finished reading Peter Green's book - The Hellenistic Age - when I stumbled on this title which helped shed more light on Mr. Green's book.

This book goes into detail on the military activities and political machinations of the likes of Perdicass,Eumenes,Antipater,Antigonus Monopthalmus, Seleucus and Ptolemy following the death of Alexander the Great.

Furthermore, it tells us how Alexander's immediate family - Olympias, Roxanne, Alexander IV were embroiled in the schemes of these generals.
We witness the military development of Demetrius (Son of Antigonus)and Pyrrhus before he suffers defeat at the hands of Rome.

My only criticism is that the book contains just one map which is why I have given it four stars. The hellenistic era is certainly full of interesting characters and I look forward to reading Volume 2!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4