Profile for pethead > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
I Feel Love: The Collection
I Feel Love: The Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Great UK Focussed Compilation, 16 Feb. 2015
This is a great release for UK fans as it focusses mainly on the UK hits and includes tracks rarely included on compilations - Back in Love Again being a fine example & Down Deep Inside - we even get an extended version. A lot of the tracks included are in the 7" edit form which I always feel should be the mixes included on Greatest Hits albums, not just lazily lifting tracks from albums. The remastering is also well above average and some of the sloppy fade outs on previous compilations such as The Journey have been corrected. There may be too many Donna Summer compilations knocking around, but this release has been put together with a noticeable degree of care and purpose and as such makes it a worthwhile purchase in my opinion.

Tangled Up
Tangled Up
Offered by The Music Warehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Their Best, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Tangled Up (Audio CD)
Their best album in my opinion, second to Out Of Control.

Never Say Never
Never Say Never

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than Come Out And Play, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Never Say Never (Audio CD)
Far better than Come Out And Play, though the reworked tracks fail to come close to the originals (apart from Four Letter Word - I prefer this to the original as Kim's voice is now more suited to the track) it's worth it alone for the remaining new tracks. Excellent choice of producer, he really captures the energy of her earlier releases before she started to play it a bit safe with Close. I bought this back in 2006 on import and played it to death then and still do. I hope Kim goes for a similar sound on future releases.

Cats Without Claws
Cats Without Claws

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of my favourite 80s Donna Summer albums, 15 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Cats Without Claws (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite 80s Donna Summer albums.It was completely over looked at the time & I struggled to even to get hold of the single releases in the UK. Though many will disagree, I prefer it to She Works Hard For The Money, which was also co-wriiten & produced with Michael Omartian. To my ears the remastering is first class especially when compared to the original CD release. It's also great to have an unreleased track & the remixes. Unfortunately the 7" remix of Supernatural Love is not included, but then nothing's perfect

Live At Wembley Arena
Live At Wembley Arena

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Concert, CD Sound Not Great., 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Live At Wembley Arena (Audio CD)
People have commented that the sound quality of the vinyl is poor, I don't think the CD sounds particularly good either. Too much bass & too little treble. Why is it that sound quality is so often an issue with ABBA (re) releases?! Aside from that it's great to be finally able to hear the full concert. The BBC did broadcast on radio the highlights at Christmas back in 1979, but that was missing I'm Still Alive which the CD is worth buying for alone.

Bucks Fizz /  Writing on the Wall
Bucks Fizz / Writing on the Wall

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Mixed Bag, 27 Sept. 2014
After discovery I Hear Talk & this album at the same time, what a let down this one is. New Beginning, Keep Each Other Warm & Love In A World Gone Mad are extremely strong tracks, but the rest make for very dull listening. They certainly should have kept the RCA tracks on here a ditched some of the others. Maybe they were trying for a more mature sound, but for me it unfortunately falls flat.

I Hear Talk
I Hear Talk
Offered by Liberty-Star

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably Their Best..., 27 Sept. 2014
This review is from: I Hear Talk (Audio CD)
I'd had the first 3 albums since they were first released, but for some reason didn't bother with the last two. What a mistake waiting until now to buy this album. I always thought they couldn't better Hand Cut, but they just about succeed with this. A great album; not a filler on it; a more mature sound, but still retaining the Bucks Fizz sound of Andy Hill's production & the great harmonies.

Dark City: Director's Cut [Blu-ray]
Dark City: Director's Cut [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Rufus Sewell
Offered by Films and Figures (Free Recorded Delivery On All Orders)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Underrated, 27 Sept. 2014
A very underrated film, great to also have the extended cut. So much better than the original DVD I have which was formatted in 4:3.

The Ultimate Anthology
The Ultimate Anthology

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Compilation, 27 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Ultimate Anthology (Audio CD)
A really excellent compilation just how they should be done with the tracks in chronological order, complete with remixes & rarities on disc 2. A lot of thought & effort obviously went into this release and it's certainly paid off.

Up Until Now.....The 30Th Anniversary Hits Collection
Up Until Now.....The 30Th Anniversary Hits Collection

3.0 out of 5 stars Awful TV Mixes, 25 Sept. 2014
The TV mixes included here are awful, I can't remember them back in the day, maybe they've been done for the album. Why anyone included these is beyond me. Other than that a great album.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2015 7:19 PM GMT