Profile for Krzysztof Zieba > Reviews

Content by Krzysztof Zieba

Krzysztof Zieba (Kent, UK)

Kala Rupa
Kala Rupa
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for fans of Greg Ellis, 15 Feb 2010
This review is from: Kala Rupa (Audio CD)
If you like Vas and wanted to check out how Greg Ellis has done solo (well, not really, but still), go ahead, it's well worth it.
With some help from Azam Ali, this album has a great feel to it. Mostly vocal-less, it's pure music and rhythm with a lot of variety, from slower, almost chill-out pace Forms, to some more vigorous ones.
That said, it does sound a lot like Vas at times, which may be a good thing if you simply want more (as I do), but if you thought this is going to be something entirely different... well, it's not, sorry ;)
Pick this up, great album, great music.

Star Wars Roleplaying Game: Saga Edition (Star Wars Roleplaying Game)
Star Wars Roleplaying Game: Saga Edition (Star Wars Roleplaying Game)
by Rodney Thompson

2.0 out of 5 stars Looking for an RPG? This maybe isn't what you want..., 15 Feb 2010
Alright, huge disclamer first - I HATE the d20 mechanic.
I thought it has been implemented better here, but I was wrong. This core book shares all the sins and adds a handful of new ones. My main concern is the fact that the system is 90% combat based. When you look at the class Talents and Feats, a VAST majority of those are used in combat. Info on the "Eras of Play" are mostly statistics for characters. I mean, what the hell? Rather than giving some true info, they just let you know how easy/hard it is to kill characters from the Saga? The mechanic is only marginally intuitive, definately not the best I've seen. It's very limiting and makes playing a chore rather than something enjoyable. It also takes away the freedom of the GM, a thing that is a Capital Sin for me when it comes to role-playing.
While it does have this SW feel to it, I don't really see it working as a good Role-Playing game. The fact that the combat system is based on Star Wars Miniatures is a cheap trick as well, a blatant smack to the face really.
I'm somewhat relieved that this game has been discontinued now and that they are closing the line. I'm hoping another company is going to pick up the license and do something better with it. I was planning on buying some expansions for this, but probably won't bother. Hell, I'm thinking about selling my copy of the corebook off, actually. I may do it in the future, right now I still want to give it a chance.
It's not a 1/5 because I have to admit that the quality of the book for that price is very, very good. The format kinda bugs me, but generally speaking, the publishing quality is great. The content, as you can see above, is a whole different thing for me I'm afraid.

Star Wars Roleplaying Game Gamemaster Screen (Star Wars)
Star Wars Roleplaying Game Gamemaster Screen (Star Wars)
by Rodney Thompson
Edition: Misc. Supplies

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality = good, usefulness = so, so, 15 Feb 2010
First thing to say is that the quality of this screen is exceptional. The thickness, the way it folds nicely and the paper - it's all good, very good.
Unfortunately, and I say this after reading about 100 pages of the core book and having several glances through it, it seems it does not cover some very important stuff, while it features virtually useless tables (Attitude?).
So you don't get any of the basic formulas (like testing skills) or the rather very useful info, for example a list of skills and sub-skills. Serenity has done that and it's very useful to have that list in front of you.
I may be biased here, as I am very dissapointed in the system itself, therefore I, for example, find it laughable that the majority of the GM screen (about 3/4 at least) deals with combat or hit points. If you did like the system and you're thinking if this is a good screen, go ahead and see my review as a 4/5.
But generally speaking, I was initially impressed by the quality, but the usefulness is another thing.
Oh, and I find the art mediocre, but again, that's just me.

Sony NWZB143B 4GB USB Walkman - Black
Sony NWZB143B 4GB USB Walkman - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost fulfilled all of my expectations, 15 Feb 2010
Ok, to be concise.
What I like:
- the fact that you charge it by plugging it into your computer
- nicely done and intuitive menus etc.
- overall quality
- the looks of it
- 4gb is quite a lot of space
What I don't like:
- it's true what people say that it's a bit silent. It fails to block out the sounds outside even at the maximum volume level, which is particularly irritating near noisy streets, as I can't hear some of my more silent mp3's. On the other hand, this may be a good thing for your hearing.
- after a month or so of using it I already encountered a slight problem, namely I can't remove one of the folders and I get some bizzare errors when I try to do that. Mind you, this is probably nothing a reset won't fix, just haven't tried it yet.

To sum up - I'm pretty satisfied, even though the volume issues did leave a bit sour taste in my mouth. I was hoping for the perfect mp3 player, and got something short of that. I would still recommend it if you don't find anything that suits your needs more.

Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter
Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter
by A E Moorat

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this as a present for my girlfriend..., 15 Feb 2010
... and she was very happy with it! I can't say much about the book myself, but generally speaking, if you like horror and macabre in a historic setting, go ahead and pick up this book!

Primeval: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] [2008]
Primeval: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Douglas Henshall

5.0 out of 5 stars A true hidden gem, 15 Feb 2010
Primeval is a really good SF series! It has very likeable characters, a quite interesting plot and well done special effects. While it does have this specific UK feel to it (as Torchwood does as well, for example), it only comes out as more 'exotic' rather than of lesser quality than the big blockbuster USA series.
So what this is saying I suppose is that if you like dinosaurs and are looking for a good TV series to spend some time with, Primeval is a very good choice.

Sunyata
Sunyata

4.0 out of 5 stars Vas' first album..., 15 Feb 2010
This review is from: Sunyata (Audio CD)
I love this band and I know all of their albums, but this one was exceptionally hard to find, so I was quite happy I found it on Amazon.
As much as it didn't prove to be a dissapointment, it is not exceptional either. Mind you, this is just to say that later albums featuring Azam Ali and Greg Ellis are better, not that this one is not good.
So if you know and like any other albums by Vas, this is still a no-brainer. You just want to complete the collection.