Profile for Carol > Reviews

Content by Carol

Carol

Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (Bright & Early Board Books)
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (Bright & Early Board Books)
by Al Perkins
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Board book version is abridged!!, 10 Oct 2011
We love this book, but we were disappointed to find out that the board book version is abridged. It's missing the "Hello Jack. Hello Jake. Shake hands, shake hands, shake shake shake." It's also missing the "Hello Jake. Hello Jack. Dum ditty, dum ditty, whack whack whack."

Otherwise, it's a good sturdy little book.

Doodle Stitching: Fresh and Fun Embroidery for Beginners
Doodle Stitching: Fresh and Fun Embroidery for Beginners
by Aimee Ray

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy Doodle Stitching: The Motif Collection instead, 14 July 2011
I am new to free hand embroidery and thought this would be a good book to start with. I like the first 34 pages of the book very much, which explain the basics. However, I didn't find the projects to be very inspiring - I thought that they looked a bit amateurish. Also, I didn't like the patterns very much - they don't look at all like what is featured on the cover. At most, I would make maybe 2 of the items. Some of the projects include: a Sewing Circle Bag, Felt Forest Creatures, Songbird Wristlet, Bohemian Tunic, Cafe Apron, Spring Step Shoes, Crazy Curves Headband, Flower Shop Skirt, Boxer Shorts, Mod Napkins, Fireworks Halter Top, etc.

So, I decided to buy Doodle Stitching: The Motif Collection instead. This is really more what I had in mind when I purchased the Fresh and Fun book. The first part of the book describes the basics. Then there are a few projects, which I actually like better than the ones in the Fresh and Fun book. But the best part is the last half, which includes lots of designs and inspiration.

I say skip this book and go straight to The Motif Collection.

Melissa & Doug Farm Sound Puzzle
Melissa & Doug Farm Sound Puzzle

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately, poor quality, 14 July 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
I love the idea of this toy; however, I was really disappointed in the quality of it (unlike other Melissa and Doug products). The kitten worked great. After about half a day (of on and off play), the sheep stopped working. Then the duck, cow, dog and pig started making super short half sounds. Two hours later the sheep started working again but the rooster stopped working. So, I have had to return it.

It is also true, as another reviewer noted, the animals make sounds no matter which piece is dragged across it - the correct or the wrong one. So, it is not the best toy for learning animal sounds.