Profile for VivienneC > Reviews

Atlas of Unknowns
Atlas of Unknowns
by Tania James

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood is thicker than water!, 20 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Atlas of Unknowns (Paperback)
This is a beautifully written story concerning the relationship between two sisters and their adventures from teens to twenties. With the greatest skill the author transports us efortlessly between Kerala and New York, showing us heartbreaking betrayal, a fall from grace, and an unusual success story before a deeply satisfying ending. All the characters and locations are so vividly drawn we feel what they feel, we see what they see.
I would recommend it to anyone who likes to get to know and care about believable characters, learn a little about different countries and cultures, and finish a book with the contented sigh that follows an excellent read.

The Lacuna
The Lacuna
by Barbara Kingsolver

5.0 out of 5 stars My most enjoyable read in five years!, 19 April 2011
This review is from: The Lacuna (Paperback)
Tuck yourself away somewhere peaceful and allow a little time for this epic tale to draw you into a world of glorious technicolour, where memorable larger than life characters, both real and fictional, will soon enchant you as their story unfolds in dazzling prose. Meticulously constructed, with a vivid and compelling narrative that informs, amuses and tugs at your heartstrings, this book is a delight; for me a long-anticipated new novel from Barbara Kingsolver that didn't disappoint on any level. It's up there with her best work, written with love and passion and truly deserving of the Orange Prize. I felt I was there in the hazy heat of Mexico, witnessing the excesses of Kahlo and Rivera, seeing Trotsky in a sympathetic new light, feeling for Harrison, the little boy with no roots and a dysfunctional family life. Although sorry at first to leave Mexico for North Carolina, I soon fell under the spell of the remarkable Violet Brown, and lapped up the story as it continued until the surprising but totally satisfactory ending. Stunning.

The Rough Guide to Venice & the Veneto
The Rough Guide to Venice & the Veneto
by Jonathan Buckley

5.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide Reliable as Ever, 10 April 2011
I bought the Guide for a friend who was planning a long weekend in Venice, and took a quick peek before passing it on. My faith in Rough Guides remained steadfast; the book was packed with useful information, tips, insights and maps, and my friend reported it had been a great help.

Moon Cuba (Moon Handbooks)
Moon Cuba (Moon Handbooks)
by Christopher P. Baker

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Handbook for Cuba, 14 Nov. 2010
I bought the Moon Handbook to help plan my trip to Cuba, although I've been a loyal Rough Guide gal for many years. I found the Moon guide refreshingly different in its approach, and the author's passion for Cuba informed and enhanced the text. It's been an interesting and enjoyable read, and its helped with my planning, but in the end I bought the Rough Guide as well for the comfort of the familiar style.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2010 2:27 PM GMT

The Rough Guide to Belize (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
The Rough Guide to Belize (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
by Peter Eltringham

5.0 out of 5 stars You better Belize it, 14 Nov. 2010
This guide book was my bible, my comfort and security for the four months I spent in Belize. It never let me down, whether I wanted information on a possible destination, details on transport, food and accommodation, or facts about this small country's history, geography and people. The factual information, advice and opinions in the book were invaluable and I highly recommend it to anyone who is travelling to Belize or who merely wants to get a flavour of this funky little country.

Total Body Anti-Odorant
Total Body Anti-Odorant
Offered by Acdoco

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to stay fresh, 14 Nov. 2010
This anti-perspirant/deodorant is the best product I've found for staying sweet after coming out of the shower. It doesn't contain parabens or overpowering cheap scent, it doesn't stain your clothes, it's economical in use, it's effective for ages, and the container doesn't come in contact with your skin so you can share it with your beloved if inclined. It's a mystery to me why Boots and Waitrose have stopped stocking it, and I'm thankful to have found it on Amazon.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2012 10:59 AM GMT

Isotoner Women's Embroidered Secret Sole Velour Mule Slipper White W/Aqua Spots 95244WAS4 4 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy slipper ticks all the boxes, 14 Nov. 2010
In the words of Les Dawson, I am a martyr to my feet, so I'm always searching for comfy slippers. These Isotoner Mules have everything I could wish for in a slipper - they fit snugly and don't slop off my feet; they are durable (come up like new when washed with the towels); they even look stylish with their spot pattern. The plastic sole means I can nip outside in them if necessary. I was so pleased with them I soon ordered a second pair in a different colour, so I can always have one pair on my feet while the other pair is in the wash.

Rockport Women's Shore Bets II Boat Shoe Estate Blue K51680 4.5 UK
Rockport Women's Shore Bets II Boat Shoe Estate Blue K51680 4.5 UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Not such a sure bet, 14 Nov. 2010
These Rockport shoes bore no resemblance to other Rockport shoes I've bought and been highly satisfied with. I wasn't sure whether to buy a size 4 or 5, so I ordered size 4 and size 4.5. The 4.5 shoe was much longer than my foot, and far too big. The size 4 wouldn't even go on my foot it was so small and narrow. I would never have guessed these were Rockport shoes - they were nothing like Rockport's usual high standard.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2012 5:12 PM BST