Profile for Dorie > Reviews

Content by Dorie

Dorie

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
W1 WHITE SIZE 10-20 wedding reception bride evening dresses party full length prom gown ball (10)
Offered by newbusinesslondon2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough dress, 9 Mar 2014
I wore this dress for my wedding. It had to be altered in a bridal shop before I could actually used it. The seamstress not only shortened it, but also replaced the bodice loops with metallic ones, as she said the original loops would probably not hold for the entire evening, She also replaced the beautiful satin ribbon that is supposed to tie the bodice with a less elegant one, which she said is commonly used to avoid risk of it untying. A loop was added to hang up the very long train, this is necessary as otherwise you cannot really walk or dance. She also added straps and bones to the bodice, the latter was meant to avoid creases. That said, the dress itself was nice enough. Everyone said it was beautiful and a good choice and could not believe how cheap it was, In general, all bridal dresses, no matter where you buy or rent them, need to be altered, and even with all the alterations it was really cheap compared to anything I could have found in a bridal shop. The quality was more than OK for the price. I especially liked the train and the applications. I would recommend purchase, but I'd say do be ready to have alterations made.

1 Tier Wedding Bridal Elbow Satin Edge Veil Length 28"
1 Tier Wedding Bridal Elbow Satin Edge Veil Length 28"
Price: £8.99 - £23.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely veil, 9 Mar 2014
I loved this veil. Though simple, it's beautiful and delicate, and I especially loved the satin edges. I can warmly recommend it

IVORY SIZE 16 Long Sleeves Faux Fur Special Occasion Wedding Jacketr Wrap Occasion Shrug/Prom Bolero (IVORY-16)
Offered by newbusinesslondon2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Wedding bolero, 9 Mar 2014
I purchased this item for my wedding, to wear over my wedding dress when outside. It was quite warm (although in a colder climate in winter it might not do, you need to consider this). For me, it did the job very well. It was very elegant looking and everyone praised my choice. I would recommend it.

Dvd ~ Keira Knightley
Offered by 247dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth watching, 8 Mar 2006
To be sure, "Pride and Prejudice" 2005 is quite different from the much beloved 1995 BBC version. But it is enjoyable in its own right, and worthy of a costume drama lover's collection.
For myself, I found it really interesting to see a different interpretation of Austen's characters, and to see new ways of imagining the Bennett girls, the development of Lizzie's relationship with Darcy, Mr. Collins, the houses in which they all live, or what they see when they look out of the window.
For example, the Bennett girls are extremely likeable, all of them. Jane Bennett, who is supposed to be a beauty, is played by Rosamund Pike, whose beauty strikes the viewer at first, without suspending disbelief. And personally, I thought Keira Knightley was a good choice, because it is easier to see why Darcy would find her merely "tolerable" at first; not that Knightley is merely tolerable, but hers is a less classic type of beauty (in my opinion at least). Knightley's Lizzie is more extrovert than Jennifer Ehle's in the BBC version, and this makes it easier to identify with her: she is like me and you. And because she is so light hearted and high spirited most of the time, we feel with her when she is broken hearted about the missed opportunity with Darcy. The last scene, in which Darcy comes back to Lizzie in the early morning is a fitting finale.
Also look out for Lydia - Jena Malone does an excellent job of portraying the airs she puts on once she is married, and her complete lack of awareness regarding the circumstances of her marriage.
Some of the other roles also benefited from fresh interpretations: Mr. Wickham is very handsome in this production, as he should be, since Lizzie, Lydia and Georgiana Darcy fall for him. Mr. Collins is not so repulsive as we have been conditioned to believe. He is certainly much less of a caricature than the BBC production has us believe, and possibly much less of a caricature than he is in the book. Personally, I'd say he's "tolerable," and, given the Bennett family circumstances, it does make sense that Mrs. Bennett should wish him to provide a "comfortable home" for her daughter. It is not the case that he is ugly or, as Lizzie puts it, "ridiculous." Personally, I did not find him all that ridiculous. The point is not so much his inferiority, but Lizzie's superiority. It's just that he is ordinary, too ordinary for her, who needs to feel the passion that only Darcy is capable of igniting, and the respect and intellectual affinity that he alone can inspire.
Many other reviewers have commented on the lavish settings, so I can only say that I totally agree with them. Look out for the splendid interiors as well as impressive exteriors. The interior of the Bingley house is a fine one, while that of Darcy's Pemberley surpasses it by far: pay attention to the exquisite painted ceiling and to the absolutely superb sculptures on display at his mansion. This is very much in tone with the book, which makes it explicit that while Bingley is a rich man, Darcy is far richer.
All of this is accompanied by a superb piano soundtrack throughout the entire movie.

Dvd ~ Keira Knightley
Offered by 247dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a treat, 6 Mar 2006

Dvd ~ Gillian Anderson
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely riveting, 3 Mar 2006
This review is from: Bleak House [DVD] (DVD)
Like the other reviewers, I agree that this is an excellent dramatization. It boasts a fantastic cast, so believable in their roles that I got totally absorbed into their world. Gillian Anderson, particularly, is wonderful and extremely convincing in playing Lady Deadlock, as well as beautiful to look at. Anna Maxwell Martin as Esther Summerson, Alun Armstrong as police detective Bucket, Timothy West as Sir Leicester Dedlock are also unforgettable. There are some very interesting other faces, in some of the more minor roles, which I found perfectly cast, and which were a joy to watch because of their wonderful expressions which made their characters seem so real.
The tension of the plot is very well maintained, and there is not one moment that I found boring. Indeed,I became so engrossed that at one point I found it impossible to stop watching, as I was interested in following the developments and all the twists and turns. The turning points in the plot are very well done, while not overly sentimental, and extracted some tears. These moments particularly linger in memory when the series is over.
Not to be missed, I'd say.

Dvd ~ Gillian Anderson
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely absorbing, 1 Mar 2006
This review is from: Bleak House [DVD] (DVD)
Not to be missed, I'd say.

Nanny McPhee [DVD]
Nanny McPhee [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emma Thompson
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 21 Feb 2006
This review is from: Nanny McPhee [DVD] (DVD)
Like other reviewers, I also really enjoyed Nanny McPhee, and I can warmly recommend it. The plot is quite simple and straightforward, and yet the fairy tale atmosphere really draws you in. Emma Thompson is absolutely wonderful: her character is frightening, stern, deep, magical, in control and loving, all in one. The children are adorable, especially the little ones. The actress playing the scullery maid is beautiful and a lovable character too, I really liked her.

Several reviewers have mentioned the many funny moments in the movie, indeed, there are many gags, but I was particularly affected by the many moments that brought tears to my eyes. Indeed the movie is very touching and there really is a lesson to be learned from it, about achieving discipline but especially about love. The ending, which is hinted at right from the start, is very, very touching.
The movie is also beautifully filmed, and I want to particulary note the making of the winter scene towards the end, which I thought was cleverly done, but will not say more so as not to spoil your pleasure in watching it.
Overall, it's a wonderful movie for both children and adults.
There are quite a number of additional bonus features, such as deleted scenes, the casting of the children, the building of the set, a documentary about the Nurse Matilda stories in which the film originated.
"Nanny McPhee" is in many ways evocative of both Mary Poppins (nannies who cannot cope, a stern, magical, loving nanny), and the "Sound of Music" (seven children, the potential wicked stepmother and her alternative).

To sum up, you must give it a try, you're really missing out if you overlook it.

The Shakespeare Collection [DVD] [1978]
The Shakespeare Collection [DVD] [1978]
Dvd ~ Alan Rickman

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection, 5 Dec 2005
I recommend this collection highly to all Shakespeare lovers. Ever since I've received it, I've watched one play almost every night,and I've enjoyed very much the plays I've seen so far. It is great to have the entire collection, and not just a few plays, and even though there are edits and inevitable directorial interpretations, I feel these productions are more faithful to Shakespeare than some cinematic endeavours we've been used to, if only because the relative barrenness of the settings is more historically faithful to original practices and thus more attention is paid to Shakespeare's language. For in language, both spoken as well as body language, is where the power of Shakespeare's drama lies, and this is very evident in the BBC productions. Having said that, I will add that a lot of attention has been paid to settings and costumes.
Casts of wonderful actors make the characters really come alive. Jane Lapotaire is wonderful as Cleopatra and as Lady Macbeth, Anthony Quayle is a memorable Falstaff in the two parts of Henry IV, Tim Piggott Smith captures Hotspur perfectly in the same, Jon Finch looks exactly as I've imagined the usurping Bolingbroke to look, the 14 year old Rebecca Saire is a superb Juliet, the plebeians in Julius Caesar resemble contemporary tradesmen and speak in a sort of delightful Cockney accent. These are just a few examples from the plays I've had time to watch so far. Crucially, I was delighted to see the actors do the roles in different ways than the cinematic productions often condition us to think about the characters. For instance, look out for Juliet's nanny in the BBC production as opposed to that in Zefirelli's film.
It is also interesting to see some very well known British actors, a mix of Shakespeareans like John Gielgud and Derek Jacobi, along with more popularly known actors such as Bob Hoskins, Brenda Blethyn, Anthony Hopkins or Clive Swift.
All 37 DVDs come in slim cases, there is also a little brochure with some stills from the productions, an introduction which I found quite interesting, and details about the date, director, and cast of each production. It all comes in a beautiful box, which is a joy to behold. Yes, the top flap on mine is also torn, it seems to have happened to everyone, and the top and bottom of the Antony and Cleopatra slim case was also broken, but I wouldn't exaggerate. It's hardly reason to fault the entire collection. The DVD's themselves are fine, and of excellent quality.
In sum, the collection is very worth investing in, and I'm very glad I bought it. I dare say it is a must for any lover of Shakespeare and something that will stay with you for many years to come.

Dear Frankie [DVD]
Dear Frankie [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emily Mortimer

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and touching, 14 Oct 2005
This review is from: Dear Frankie [DVD] (DVD)
I will not start with the usual plot synopsis, as other reviewers have already done that. I will just say that this is a beautiful and touching film, brought to us by a very talented cast. The nine year old boy playing Frankie, Jack McElhone, is just amazing. As the director, Shona Auerbach points out, since this is a silent part (Frankie is deaf), all of Frankie's acting has to be done through body language and facial expression. And Jack does this superbly. You hardly realize he does not speak throughout the movie, since his face and his gestures speak so much and convey so many emotions.
The relationship between Frankie and the stranger who is hired by his mother to play his father for one day is very believable and very moving. The stranger, a sceptic at the outset, becomes emotionally involved and while at first he does not think much of Frankie's mother for doing this, ends up respecting her and so do we, the audience. Personally, I felt I did not like Frankie's mother at first, as her motives seem unclear. We learn about her motives with the stranger, and that's when sympathy shifts.
I was also particularly impressed by the stranger's emotion in the scene where he meets Frankie: he needs to be believable, and he is very tense wondering if he has done well. I felt the tension with him. Gerald Butler is wonderful, looking handsome, tall, and reassuring, the father figure Frankie really needs.
There are so many touching moments I will let you discover for yourselves, as I don't want to spoil it for you. I will just say that the entire movie is full of twists and turns, much more than you'd expect. In the second half a surprise awaits in virtually every scene to the very end , and I also cried at virtually every one of these scenes.
"Dear Frankie" is filmed in Scotland, and features some beautiful scenery. I also enjoyed listening to the Scottish accent used throughout the film.
The additional material includes the director's commentary, to which I have not listened yet, an interview with the director, which I found quite interesting, and some deleted scenes, one of which at least actually reveals some insight into one of the minor characters. I'm thinking it's particularly clever to cut such a scene in the official release, and then add it to the deleted scenes section on the DVD, although I'm not sure this was intentional.
I enjoyed the movie, and I'll certainly want to rewatch it. Even though I now know about all the twists and turns in the plot, it will actually be interesting to follow the range of emotion displayed by this talented cast with all this pre-knowledge in mind.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3