Profile for E. J. Fletcher > Reviews

Content by E. J. Fletcher

E. J. Fletcher "Erinbron" (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Information Officer
The Information Officer
by Mark Mills

4.0 out of 5 stars Murder Meets History In Brave Malta, 19 Jan. 2010
A dire holiday in Qawra left me very anti-Malta, but I chose to read The Information Officer despite that, because I do like a whodunnit. Well clearly I was just on holiday in the wrong part of the island because this novel, amazingly, makes me want to revisit; well, around Valetta, the focus of the story, anyway. I use the word story with some hesitance, as the considerable hammering upon the island by the Germans, as related by Mills, is far from fictional. The regular bombing campaigns, and the islanders and troops attitudes to them, and to the war effort, create a hugely effective and heartrending backdrop to this tale of a serial killer. I surprised myself by how much I enjoyed the history lesson (there is a particularly moving description of just how bad the island had it on, I think, page 61) and a newfound respect towards Malta, to the extent that this became one of those books all book-lovers seek...the one you dont want to end.

Which is a bit tricky when you are longing to find out who the killer is!

And now, just in case you need any further proof of my enjoyment of this book, Im off to buy Mills' other two.

The House at Riverton
The House at Riverton
by Kate Morton

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 28 Mar. 2008
This review is from: The House at Riverton (Paperback)
Im usually a bit unnerved by such a fat book, but in fact this was so easy to read, touching, and gripping, that no such worries were needed.

The story starts relatively slowly, and gradually builds to one of those endings we all want: the page-turner that left me feeling a little lost once over. Now what am I going to do?!

I really enjoyed it, and once again must thank Richard & Judy for another successful recommendation.

The Shadow Of The Wind
The Shadow Of The Wind
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure!, 10 July 2007
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
What a lovely story.

Firstly, I commend whoever translated this into english, because they did a brilliant job. The text is as colourful and lively as the author surely intended. Part of what makes a story great is the words used to tell the tale, and here there was a master at work - both the author and the translator.

With the best use of language, if the story's no good it wont make it great.....however this tale need have no fear. It is a rich, complex saga filled with quality characters - people you can believe in and care about. The story folds between current dialogue and interwoven recollections of moments from the past, all of which steadily provide further clues and mysteries to carry you on to the end, where you discover the real identity of one character from the past, and find a satisfying explanation of all you've read before.

Its set in Barcelona, post Civil War, with recollections from both before and during the war. The story contains love and romance, mystery, murder, sorrow and tragedy......all interlinked, and all gripping.

It was an absolute pleasure to read this book, and the tale within. Its officially one of my all-time favourites, and Im a richer soul for having known it.

Welcome To The Monkey House
Welcome To The Monkey House
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank You Nick Rhodes, 20 Nov. 2006
I sought this album out because of Nick Rhodes and Simon Le Bon's involvement - I am after all an incurable Duran fan. I love it! Not normally one for anything described as "guitar" or "indie" but the majority of this album is so catchy I cant help but be addicted to the sound of it.

Maybe it's the 80s sound Im picking up, maybe its the Duran magic....who knows, and who cares! I just know this is my new favourite album.

Dead Simple
Dead Simple
by Peter James

3.0 out of 5 stars Its 3.5 stars really!, 16 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Dead Simple (Paperback)
Its always a bit of a risk buying a book you've heard nothing about, by an unknown author. On a whim I invested my pennies in this, with quite negative expectations (so why did I bother?!)
Its a reasonably thick book, so after the initial interest of the events of the stag night, which the book launches into straight away, and with most of the book still to go, I did wonder if the rest of it would be able to sustain my interest.
I was very pleasantly surprised that it did. With most new chapters, and being so short there were plenty of them, came a new development, a new twist, and these kept my interest right until the end.
In the version I bought, there is a section at the back which is a taster of another book by the author. Dont be caught out by this like I was. Turns out the story ends quite suddenly - I was expecting more because I knew there were more pages, and because it ended at a point where it could legitimately have carried on a little longer.
Overall I found this a satisfying read, a thriller that totally held my interest, and as a result I will be looking out for more of this books police character Roy Grace, or anything else by this author.

Leviathan
Leviathan
by B. Akunin

4.0 out of 5 stars Original, Interesting and Enjoyable, 7 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Leviathan (Hardcover)
My title sums it up nicely.
I was drawn to this book because of the comparisons to Agatha Christie style crime fiction, as Im a fan of her work. I wasnt disappointed.
After a brief expose of the facts of the crime at the beginning of the story, we rapidly move to the central location, the Leviathan ship of the title of the book. Thereon in the characters/suspects develop nicely and with some interesting stories of their own, and the introduction of the 'hero' of the story, the detective Erast Fandorin is delightful.
One particular scene in this drama will remind true Christie afficionados quite clearly of something similar in one of her books and as a result will no doubt work out some, if not all, of what is going on and who the criminals are. This may possibly have been the one flaw for me - I delight in guessing incorrectly and having the truth revealed in the denouement in a fine speech by the detective.
I have kept this book and will no doubt read it again.

Frasier: Season 4 - Part 1 - Episodes 1-12 (Box Set) [VHS] [1994]
Frasier: Season 4 - Part 1 - Episodes 1-12 (Box Set) [VHS] [1994]
VHS

4.0 out of 5 stars Its Frasier So It Must Be Good, 25 Mar. 2004
I cant think of anything negative to say about the series, its just very good comedy, and anyone who is familiar with, and appreciates good comedy would say the same. If you are reading this and havent watched any Frasier, then this isnt the place to start anyway. Watch the shows in order, because they do move chronologically, so start with series one.
The only other thing I can think of about series 4 is that unlike series 1 and 2, with 3 and 4 (5 onwards I dont know) the box sets are in 6 tapes of 4 episodes, rather than 4 tapes of 6 episodes. This of course costs more, and takes up more room.
Having said that, this if Frasier, so I dont complain too much. Who does, when they're happy?!

Braun FuturPro 2000w Hair Dryer - Pearl
Braun FuturPro 2000w Hair Dryer - Pearl

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither Great Nor Useless, 25 Mar. 2004
I find it difficult to review this item because, whilst it does what it is meant to do, it doesnt do it with outstanding results. The controls are easy to use, particularly the cold shot button, but I think it would benefit from a narrower nozzle and being a bit lighter. It isnt very quiet either, particularly on the higher setting.

Tears Of The Giraffe (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
Tears Of The Giraffe (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Take Me To Botswana!, 25 Mar. 2004
This is a lovely book, set in Botswana. Following directly on from No1 Ladies Detective Agency, it is a simple story about the day to day life of a Batswana woman in her 30s who tries to help others by solving their problems. She is a good woman, wiser than her age would suggest, and with a masterful insight into human nature. You learn about her background, her home, and the people around her. It is all related in such an enticing way, full of african names, attitudes and the charming way they use english that left me with not only my own clear picture of her life, but a desire to see Botswana for myself.
Isn't it one of the most lovely feelings when you find a series of books that you love to read? You cant wait to get stuck into the next one, and even once you've devoured that, there are still more books to go? Well, after reading No1 Ladies Detective Agency I was like a glutton - straight into Tears of the Giraffe, this, the second book, eating it up as if I'd been starved of reading material for years, not minutes. I wasn't disappointed - if you liked the No1 Ladies Detective Agency you WILL like Tears of the Giraffe. Absolutely no question about it. And if you loved the No1 Ladies Detective Agency you WILL love Tears of the Giraffe. Its that simple.
If you happen upon this review and are interested in Tears of the Giraffe but havent read No1 Ladies Detective Agency, make sure you read that before this, because they do run chronologically.

Braun 2270 EasyStart Eversoft Epilator
Braun 2270 EasyStart Eversoft Epilator

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Overall Package, 17 Mar. 2004
You dont just get the machine itself, you get a "starter" head which has less tweezers and is thus less painful. You also get a cleaning brush and a couple of gel packs (to keep in the freezer) with a glove. If you still find the starter head too painful for you at least you can wear the glove containing the cold pack and numb the area in preparation for the pain that is to come! The manufacturers definitely seem to have thought ahead, or perhaps they have listened to customer feedback in the past, because you really feel like a lot of attention and thought has gone into the overall package.
Oh, yes, and as well as all that, its a good size, easy to use, and it works!

Page: 1 | 2