Profile for Mrs D > Reviews

Mrs D

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy

5.0 out of 5 stars Just fantastic, 25 Feb 2014
I was dubious at first, after Harry Potter, whether I would like anything other book written by J K Rowling. My doubts were totally unfounded. This book was a bit slow to start, but eventually "the plot thickens" as they say. It is truly like a pebble being dropped into a pond and the ripples reaching out far and wide. The cause and effect shown by one simple act at the beginning just snowballs and the more the book went on, the more dreadful and far reaching the consequences became. It also shows the petty mindedness of certain characters who are intent on keeping their precious isolation as a small village and teaches you quite a lot about what is actually happening to people living on large estates, with little or no money and demonstrates to what depths these people are forced to plumb. The ending is tragic but very believable. All in all there is something for everybody, with laughter, sadness, despair and hope in equal measure. A thoroughly good read.

I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Kindle Edition)
Thought this book was very good. Once I had started it I wanted to keep going right to the end. Unfortunately when I finally got there I felt a bit disappointed. It seemed to have quite a weak ending after all the build up. After searching worldwide, for years for a master terrorist, I thought the outcome of the final confrontation fell quite flat. Overall though it was an excellent read and would recommend it to anybody who loves a good spy novel.

Faithful Place
Faithful Place

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Faithful Place (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, it was well written, good plot, with a mixture of tense situations, nostalgia, family characters and it dealt with realistic issues that occur in any family I couldn't stop reading it from moment one. I have now read three of Tana French's books and this was by far my favourite. I actually believed in each and every character. The only problem was that I guessed very early on who had actually committed the crime. I really hoped, for the rest of the book, that I was going to be wrong, but unfortunately not. It is a gripping storyline none the less and I would recommend the book wholeheartedly.

G-Shock Men's Quartz Watch with Grey Dial Digital Display and Black Resin Strap GW-7900-1ER

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, 14 Jun 2013
Delivered within one day. Bought as a present for a relative. To say he was thrilled would be understatement. Very well made, chunky and solid, looks indestructible. Lots of functions, but easy instructions to follow if you are not au fait with G Shock watches.
Absolutely delighted with the purchase and well worth every penny.

Charlie Bears Cuddly Soft Savoury Pudding Teddy Bear 38cm
Charlie Bears Cuddly Soft Savoury Pudding Teddy Bear 38cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Charlie Bears, 28 May 2013
I now have six bears from the Charlie Bears range. This is my last purchase. She is just so cute. Her fur is very long, which might not appeal to some people, but every bear in this range is so different. She is perfect for present to be collected or for a little girl, who wants a bear to cuddle. She is the sort of toy that makes you smile every time you look at her.

Charlie Bears Cuddly Soft Chestnut Teddy Bear 50cm
Charlie Bears Cuddly Soft Chestnut Teddy Bear 50cm
Offered by The Gift Emporium

5.0 out of 5 stars Just fabulous, 28 May 2013
This is possibly the best bear I have ever seen. He is so life like. The fur is soft and he has the most adorable bewildered look, which appeals to both young and old. He is just the right size, sturdy enough to withstand being manhandled by a child or being cuddled to death, whichever you prefer. He is not suitable for small children due to the length of his hair, which is pointed out, but honestly he would make a wonderful present for somebody who collects bears. I am absolutely thrilled with him, so much so I went on to buy another Charlie Bear shortly after.

Hot Diamonds Shades of Spring 18ct Rose Gold Blossom Ring- Size K
Hot Diamonds Shades of Spring 18ct Rose Gold Blossom Ring- Size K

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 28 May 2013
Lovely ring. Very striking and decorative but not too large. Goes with either gold or silver jewellery because of the mixture of gold.
I have quite small fingers and it still doesn't look out of place. Sizing is perfect. Good value for money.

A Tribute to John Williams - An 80th Birthday Celebration
A Tribute to John Williams - An 80th Birthday Celebration

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 21 April 2012
I am ashamed to say that I was very ignorant about John Williams work but after purchasing this album purely at random looking for some kind of orchestral work that was not too heavy I am completely hooked and have gone on to buy much more.
There is something for everybody in this album, music from films that are all instantly recognisable ranging from adventure to thrillers and some that are more moving and emotional. I absolutely loved it and am now a huge fan of his work.