Profile for Mr. A. H. Wallace > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. H. Wallace

Mr. A. H. Wallace "Wal" (Runcorn, Cheshire United Kingdom)

United World Rebellion - Chapter One
United World Rebellion - Chapter One
Offered by rightpricediscs
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Skid Row still rock!, 10 Jun 2013
It's great that all these years later Skid Row are still putting out decent stuff. Whilst this latest doesn't hit the heights of the first two albums (what ever will?) it's still a good solid rock EP. I'd rate it on a par with Thickskin, better than RPM and Subhuman Race but well short of the first and SLTG. The stand out track is the first, Kings of Demolition. There are two additional cover tracks for the UK release. The Judas Priest song United works well and suits Johnny Solinger's vocal far more than the other one. Skid Row has always continued to tour the UK over the years, even when the venues have got smaller and they always put on a great live show. My rating for this is 3.5 stars but I'm rounding up to 4!!!

Operation: Mindcrime II
Operation: Mindcrime II
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 12.30

4.0 out of 5 stars For Mindcrime Fans!!!, 22 April 2006
This review is from: Operation: Mindcrime II (Audio CD)
I've read loads of reviews of this album now and the reactions have been mixed but mostly favourable. I guess it depends on where you're coming from...

I'm not a die hard Queensryche fan but I have been a die hard Mindcrime fan since I bought it all those years ago as a kid. The only other Queensryche album I ever owned was Empire, I could never really get into any of the others that much, especially the stuff that came after Empire.

So for me, the release of mindcrime 2 was really exciting. It took a few listens to get into but now I think its an awesome album! Tates lyrics and vocals are excellent and the music is very well written. I really like the production too... yes it doesn't sound like Mindcrime 1 but its 18 years since then... There are some songs that have similar sounding guitar riffs and in particular my favourite track is still "I'm American." Other stand outs for me are "The Hands" and "All the Promises."

The guitar playing on the album is excellent. Mike Stone seems to have settled in with Wilton pretty well, there are several solos where they double in 5ths or 7ths and it sounds great. And for those who knock this album simply because Chris DeGarmo isn't on it, just remember that he wrote most of the songs on Promised Land and Here in the Now Frontier, which for me were both disappointing.

Hollyweird
Hollyweird
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 16.27

2.0 out of 5 stars Wait a minute Bret, there's something I wanna say, 28 Jun 2002
This review is from: Hollyweird (Audio CD)
I've been listening to Poison for years and this is definitely their worst effort yet. Aside from the title track, Shooting Star (AKA Fallen Angel reworked), Rockstar and the stuff that CC sings on this is rubbish. Its completely formulated and sounds like no effort was put it to write some decent songs, merely a collection of left-overs. Some of the lyrics are embarrassing too! Its a major let down as I liked the studio tracks on Power.. and some of A Letter soundtrack. Finally, there are no ballads which is unusual for Poison.
If you're a Poison fan you should still buy it, especially if you're in the UK then maybe we might get another tour which would be cool (provided they don't play anything of this!)