Profile for David > Reviews

Content by David

David

Cabin Max Backpack Flight Approved Carry On Bag Massive 44 litre Travel Hand Luggage 55x40x20 cm - Metz Black
Offered by Home & Travel

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal carry-on luggage on SWISS, 15 Mar. 2016
Just what I wanted. I have a larger backpack that I use for carry on luggage on EasyJet but I needed a smaller one to be used on SWISS. This was still large enough to take my ski boots and ski clothes for one day, in case the airline lose by cabin luggage. Yes, you can buy stronger luggage that will last longer but for once a year, there and back, without spending a fortune, this was perfect.

Pierre d'Argent 2x 300gr - Natural all purpose cleaner - Stainless steel cleaner, copper cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing stuff., 23 Jun. 2015
Amazing stuff.

Roberts R9962 12-Band World Radio-ideal for BBC World Service
Roberts R9962 12-Band World Radio-ideal for BBC World Service

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the quality of sound, 23 Jun. 2015
Not the quality of sound that I would have expected from Roberts. Even Radio 2 on Long Wave sounds tinny.

Manoeuvring: At Close Quarters Under Power
Manoeuvring: At Close Quarters Under Power
by Bill Johnson
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 8 Mar. 2015
Exactly what I needed. Can't put it down.

Channel Waypoint Guide
Channel Waypoint Guide
by Peter Cumberlidge

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more., 8 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Channel Waypoint Guide (Paperback)
Much more than I expected. I thought this would be a dry volume of waypoint coordinates but it also provides routes across (and along) the Channel, and pictures of harbours, all beautifully produced.

Reeds Skipper's Handbook
Reeds Skipper's Handbook
by Malcolm Pearson

4.0 out of 5 stars My crib-sheet, 14 Oct. 2011
Having been a dinghy sailor all my life, I am now enthusiastically in the throws of cruising courses. I've finished the Day Skipper courses and have just started Coastal Skipper. The Reeds Skipper's Handbook contains all the little reminders I had always meant to write down in our place, only this is clearer, brighter and more colourful than I would have been able to do. I've dropped a star only because there's slightly too much for me to comfortably keep it in my pocket all the time.

Barings Bank, William Bingham and the Rise of the American Nation: A Transatlantic Relationship from the Revolutionary War Through the Louisiana Purchase
by David Tearle

5.0 out of 5 stars Barings Bank, William Bingham and the Rise of the American Nation, 13 Feb. 2010
This is a fantastic book with surprising connections to today's economic climate. I particularly liked the Baring's family connections back to the Erme estuary.

Under Fishbone Clouds
Under Fishbone Clouds
by Sam Meekings

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful love story - a must read., 21 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Under Fishbone Clouds (Paperback)
I loved this book. It is so beautifully written and despite the harrowing details of the life of the couple and their family through the history of China in the 20th century they survive demonstrating the power and capacity of the human heart. I really enjoyed the mixture of Chinese history and mythology which worked so well with Sam's poetic language and the narration by the Kitchen God. An exquisite love story and a must read in my opinion.
- Pema

Bar Craft Connoisseur Deluxe Lever-Arm Corkscrew Gift Set
Bar Craft Connoisseur Deluxe Lever-Arm Corkscrew Gift Set

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect present, 17 May 2009
This Bar Craft Lever-Arm Connoiseur Corkscrew is an engineering marvel. I was given one as a birthday present and it never ceases to amaze. It always opens a bottle of wine easily and I just love using it.

Don't be fooled by cheap plastic imitations - they break.

This is on my list as one of those rare perfect gifts for other people.

ION Audio U Record USB Audio Interface with Recording Software
ION Audio U Record USB Audio Interface with Recording Software

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, but..., 15 April 2009
It is a soundcard and turntable pre-amp; it comes with good software; and it makes brilliant recordings of my own worn records. They even sound like CDs. The ION uRecord ION uRecord USB Soundcard & Turntable Pre-Amp is also easy to use.

But I first wanted a pre-amp, to go between my turntable and my hifi amplifier, and I assumed that came as read. However, I'd missed the fact that the only output is via a USB cable. Nevermind, I now have the pre-amp on order at only £12 and I'm building a great CD collection of my old vinyl records.