Profile for Ah-so > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A goodbye to all that buy-to-let
A goodbye to all that buy-to-let

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-timed and important analysis., 21 Mar. 2016
An excellent analysis of the UK's buy to let market and a necessary read for any investor planning on risking their savings on a precarious bubble.

Betron YSM1000 Earphones Headphones, High Definition, in-ear, Noise Isolating , HEAVY DEEP BASS for iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 Players, Samsung Galaxy, Nokia, HTC, Nexus, BlackBerry etc (Without Microphone)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

4.0 out of 5 stars the sound quality is pretty good. The buds sit in the ear nicely ..., 28 Feb. 2016
I would repeat the view expressed in other reviews that the bass is way too heavy. It ruined the first few songs. Luckily if I put the "Bass Reducer" setting on the ipod on, I get a balanced setting. Had I not had the option to change the sound setting, I would have given this item 2 stars.

Having done this, the sound quality is pretty good. The buds sit in the ear nicely and keep out ambient noise, much like Sennheisers do, perhaps slightly better. The wires are thicker than Sennheisers so less likely to tangle and hopefully less likely to break (time will tell).

Good product and good value at £19.95.

FREETOO Best Workout Rubber Band Resistance Bands Heavy Elastic 5 Levels Choose Home Gyms Exercises Loop Weight Training Body Building for Man and Woman(Red)
Offered by Freetoo

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 25 Dec. 2015
Excellent value for money and arrived quickly.

BURGON & BALL GKN/KPADMOSS "Moss" Kneelo Knee Pads
BURGON & BALL GKN/KPADMOSS "Moss" Kneelo Knee Pads
Offered by Squashed Tomato Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it., 6 Oct. 2015
I have had a few knee pads before, most of which slipped to the side or down as the elastic lost its shape. I have slim legs and have found cheaper alternatives dependent upon having legs exactly the same diameter as the designer. These have firm straps that keep them in place and they never slip down. They use velcro, but the straps are firm and there is a substantial overlapping section for the two halves of the velcro to join.

These are only let down by not be entirely waterproof, so on damp ground you will eventually get damp knees.

I did not buy these through Amazon, but got them a bit discounted at the garden centre for around £10.

From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD]
From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD]
Dvd ~ Goro Miyazaki

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent Ghibli animation, 28 Feb. 2015
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD] (DVD)
An excellent Ghibli animation, and nearly up there with my favourite, 'Only Yesterday'.

For me, the artwork really takes centre stage, as scenes of Yokohama in the early 1960s are brought to life so vividly, in a way that only Miyazaki can do. The DVD has some extras - I quite enjoyed that comparing footage Yokohama today with Yokohama approximately 50 years ago.

Beats by Dr. Dre Solo2 On-Ear Headphones - Black
Beats by Dr. Dre Solo2 On-Ear Headphones - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars but decent headphone technology and put it in a casing that looks cool and market it heavily, 28 Feb. 2015
Dr Dre is not a renowned sound engineer, so you might wonder why you would choose his headphones over the many specialist hi-fi companies that operate in the same space. Anyone who knows about sound quality knows that the business model is simple - take generic, but decent headphone technology and put it in a casing that looks cool and market it heavily. The act of putting a "b" onto the side of a product instantly causes its value to soar thanks to a good marketing campaign.

The truth is that while they are decent headphones, you can either buy headphones that sound just as good for about half the price or substantially better for the same price. If you want good sound quality, heed this advice. If you want a "b" on your head, ignore it.

I suspect that a lot of people who rave about the sound quality are using the old-school Apple headphones as their benchmark, but they were about the worst headphones on the market.

Logitech Keyboard K120 - UK layout
Logitech Keyboard K120 - UK layout

2.0 out of 5 stars Unresponsive, 6 May 2014
We have these at work. I find them very unresponsive to my touch and often letters get missed as I type. I touch type and possibly have a light touch, but find it incredibly frustrating to have to go back to correct words that have missing letters. That is my point of view and no one else seems to share it - all the other views are great. I always end up using my own keyboard.

I find it works slightly better if I lay the keyboard flat without the legs up.

Roberts Radios Sports 925 3-Band Battery Portable Radio
Roberts Radios Sports 925 3-Band Battery Portable Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality and reception, 27 Feb. 2014
I have had a number of portable radios in this class over the years - a couple of silver-coloured Sony models and a Panasonic. They have always been much of a muchness. This Roberts is a cut above those. The sound quality is much richer and is not tinny like its peers. The reception is also excellent - I have not had to worry about extending the aerial yet. It also has long-wave, whereas its competitors only have FM & MW.

All in all, very happy with this.

EDIT: The batteries wear down very quickly on this. The improved sound quality clearly comes at an increased running cost.

Lenovo C440 21.5 inch All-in-One Desktop PC - (Black) (Intel Core i3 3240 3.4GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not exist, 4 Nov. 2013
I ordered this item as it appeared to be great value for money. It was not until completing the order that I noticed the incredibly long delivery date attached to it (around a month). I thought that that would teach me a lesson. The order had a three-week dispatch date, the end of which was well over a month.

On the very final day, I receive a message "We regret to inform you that we have been unable to source the following item".

Why then, is this item still for sale on Amazon? Very disappointing service all round.

I expect the PC would have got 5 stars, had it actually turned up.

The Enigma of Japanese Power
The Enigma of Japanese Power
by K.Van Wolferen

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential to understanding Japan, 26 Oct. 2013
I read this book while living in Japan in the 1990s and it explained so much about how the country worked. Yes, it is highly critical, but much of these are very deserved and have been borne out by subsequent events. The aftermath of the Fukushima nuclear accident were described in the official report as a result of Japanese culture:

"Its fundamental causes are to be found in the ingrained conventions of Japanese culture: our reflexive obedience; our reluctance to question authority; our devotion to 'sticking with the programme'; our groupism; and our insularity. What must be admitted - very painfully - is that this was a disaster 'Made in Japan'."

If you want to understand how Japan became like this, read this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3