Profile for N. Anderson > Reviews

Sumvision Cyclone Micro 4 Media Player
Sumvision Cyclone Micro 4 Media Player
Offered by E-Deals Shop - UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly poor, 29 Mar. 2015
When I bought this Amazon wouldn't ship to Spain so I ended up buying on ebay, which is a shame as it is very very poor and I would have returned it if possible.

I've been (very happily) using a Cyclone 2 for a long time to play media from a USB drive, but the build quality was poor and the USB socket very tempramental, and I finally decided to upgrade, and wanted the Cyclone 4 to stream media directly from a new network drive.

Because the Cyclone 4 is more capable, it means the software is more complicated, and it is very poor. All transitions between menu items very slow, the remote often seems to act is if I've been randomly pressing keys (most of which have dark blue labels on black keys and so are illegible), it rarely remembers the WiFi credentials so turning the box on to watch something typically requires setting up the WiFi password before I can even begin the tortuous process of navigating to the content. Said content is sorted by date by default, so all of your carefully arranged folders and files will probably appear to be randomly arranged. There is a menu option to sort by name, but it is not remembered, every time you navegate back through your content it is sorted by date again (I think this happened after upgrading to the latest firmware). Awful.

EDIT: I downgraded the firmware from the latest 1.2 to 1.1 and it functions marginally better, in that content is sorted by name rather than date, making it easier to navigate large media collections, and transitions through the menus feel slightly less clunky, so I'll add a star.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2015 4:52 PM BST

WD My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage NAS - 2 TB
WD My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage NAS - 2 TB

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to get working, slow when it does, but otherwise good., 21 Mar. 2015
EDITED:
I invested frustrating hours painstakingly following the directions to try and get this to work, initially to no avail, but while waiting a few days to receive a response to support ticket, I uninstalled everything, reinstalled everything, uninstalled everything, reinstalled everything, and, at last, it began working correctly.

Not quite as expected, because I wasn't quite prepared for how slow it is. Although the drive has a USB 3.0 port, you cannot use this to connect to your computer to transfer files, the connection always occurs over the network via the router, which involves pretty long transfer times even when the drive and computer are both connected by ethernet to the router.

You might think that plugging a source drive directly into the MyCloud via the USB connector might be the fastest way to transfer large amounts of data, but you'd be wrong. Be careful when deciding on your folders setup. Even when "moving" files around on the same WD MyCloud drive it appears to transfer them via the router (what WD confusingly call "Shares" I assume are disk partitions) so if you change your mind later a long wait may again be involved.

The software that runs on the Mac is pretty clunky, but so far I think the apps available for the android phone are pretty good. Lose a star for WD Customer support, though, who told me that, no, it was not possible to change the folder on the MyCloud drive where photos from your phone would be backed up to. I then subsequently found the option in the settings on the app.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2015 12:41 PM GMT

Iomega ScreenPlay USB 2.0/AV/HDMI/Ethernet, 1TB Director Multimedia Drive
Iomega ScreenPlay USB 2.0/AV/HDMI/Ethernet, 1TB Director Multimedia Drive

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, 10 April 2012
I've had this for about 18 months and it has finally given up the ghost. I am now trying to recover the contents, not all of which is backed up.

But even when it was "working" it has always been very temperamental, regularly freezing and needing turning off and on again, often in the middle of whatever I was watching. Sitting down to watch something was always a will-it-won't-it affair.

And the menus were painfully laggy -- often taking 2-3 seconds to respond to the remote, which on a device like this feels like eternity.

There were lots of cheaper devices around at the time, but I trusted the iomega brand and opted for "quality".

Won't be making the mistake of buying from them again.

How to do Maths so Your Children Can Too: The essential parents' guide
How to do Maths so Your Children Can Too: The essential parents' guide
by Naomi Sani

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not rocket science., 3 Aug. 2011
I was initially put-off from buying this because of a typo in the maths I found on the preview pages available on Amazon, but it was just what I was looking for so ordered it anyway.

I'm happy to report that the book seems excellent. I like that it is written by a single person which lends a consistency and clarity to the whole work, making it very easy to follow. As well as the formal descriptions of the modern methods for teaching numeracy, the book is filled with examples of the sort of short cuts we as adults take for granted when doing mental arithmetic (things like, to divide by 5, divide by 10 then double the answer) so that we are more likely to pass these on.

I'm getting ahead of myself because my children are not yet 4, but this book already has me thinking more about what to do and what not to do in the basic number work and games we already play so that they will hit the ground running when they start to look at numeracy more formally.

Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: A Brain Friendly Guide to OOA&D
Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: A Brain Friendly Guide to OOA&D
by Brett McLaughlin

1.0 out of 5 stars Health warning over content, 25 May 2007
Can't believe coming back to this page that it has two positive reviews. I waited months and months for this book - the publication date was set back a lot last year - as from all of the descriptive content about the book, here and on the publisher's own site, it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for, a good broad based general purpose introduction to how to program OO/think like an OO programmer. I have experience programming but wanted to learn OO programming only once, and get it right from the start, and this book sells itself as a guide to do just that. Well it's not. You need to already be a Java programmer. That minor little detail is not on the front cover, not on the back cover, not inside the front cover. There are some 30 pages of introductory small print saying how wonderful the book is, and it comes in a passing comment at the end of those.

Even so, I found the whole "head-first" thing a load of fluff in anycase. Can you believe, every page has "you are here>" next to the page number. Wow, this stuff is mainlining straight into my cerebral cortex!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2010 11:30 PM GMT