Profile for Alec B > Reviews

Content by Alec B

Alec B (Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom)

The Athletic Musician: A Guide to Playing Without Pain
The Athletic Musician: A Guide to Playing Without Pain
by Barbara Paull

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 April 2005
For me, this book was excellent - I could almost say life-changing. I had had neck pains for years, I had sought professional advice and read other books, but this book has the most clear explanation of the relevant anatomy and advice for curing the problem. Within a few weeks my problem had improved vastly.
For me, this is the best book of its kind: it is particularly strong for neck, back and shoulder problems. It also covers other injuries pretty well. I have also read the Richard Norris book 'Musician's Survival Manual'(not bad - more technical / less generally informative) and the Nichola Culf book 'Musicians' Injuries' (ok, more geared to avoidance of problems, particularly arm/hand problems for string players)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2012 6:59 PM GMT

Armageddon: The Battle for Germany 1944-45
Armageddon: The Battle for Germany 1944-45
by Max Hastings

5.0 out of 5 stars A story very well told, 8 April 2005
I had previously read 'Overlord' by Max Hastings and found that he told that story (the battle of Normandy) very well. I read this book in hardback and found that it is similarly well told. As well as the pure facts of the allied & Russian advances and German counter-attacks, Max Hastings adds colour and interest from the personal accounts of many people he has interviewed (I contrast this with Berlin The Downfall - Beevor - which I found too dry in this respect). It also deals well with the problems faced by the allied leaders between themselves.
The book covers the western and eastern fronts and the concentration camps. It does not cover the war through Italy.
One thing I think could be much improved is the maps - there are a few, but not enough (e.g. one per chapter), they are very basic and don't tie in well with the text. There could be many more, illustrating the text, and use colour.