Profile for R. Wharton > Reviews

Content by R. Wharton

R. Wharton (West Yorkshire, GB.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruling Passion! I don't think so., 6 Aug. 2012
Oh Dear! This novel lacked story and direction. All those pages I ploughed through, and when I got to the end I thought to myself "What actually happened?" I would have loved to give a synopsis of the storyline as I find it really helps me to decide whether to buy a book or not, if the reviewer provides one. But I am really struggling to recall any memorable moments at all. It just made me yawn a lot.I found the whole thing very tedious and began skipping whole chapters at times.

This novel added nothing to Linda Berdoll's first two books ,continuing on from Pride and Prejudice, which I enjoyed immensely. I'm afraid to say it's a definite miss.
The Darcys: The Ruling Passion

FLASH SUPERSTORE BLACKBERRY 8520 CURVE / 9300 CURVE 3G MEDITTERRANEAN FLOWERS HYBRID PROTECTION CASE/COVER/SKIN

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 18 May 2011
The case arrived in two pieces which snapped together around my blackberry 8520 curve snugly. It is not rubbery, so I don't know how it would fare if dropped on a hard surface like the pavement but it's perfectly serviceable and for the price is excellent value for money.

Mr. and Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy: Two Shall Become One (The Darcy Saga)
Mr. and Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy: Two Shall Become One (The Darcy Saga)
by Sharon Lathan

2.0 out of 5 stars Mr and Mrs Fitzwilliam Darcy: Two Shall Become One, 14 Mar. 2010
I opened this novel with a great deal of in trepidation,I am a die hard Austen fan and was desperate to know what happened to Lizzie after the wedding to Darcy. This the first Pride and Prejudice sequel I have dared to read due to the worry of being disappointed and the vast amount of sequels in print.

On the whole the novel is far too slow moving and concentrates too much on Lizzie and Darcy with little reference to Jane and Bingly's marriage, which I was just as interested in.

The characterisation of Darcy I found to be as I had imagined, the doting. love sick husband. But Lizzie seemed to have lost her independent, forthright nature and turned into a dull, whit less, air head. The other characters were shallowly written and very little happened throughout, except for a great deal of very thoroughly described sex scenes, which I would have preferred to have been hinted at rather than them being so explicit. I suppose it is what's usually found in modern novels but it seemed to me to be "overkill" for the setting of this book.

The novel be honest just lacked the whit and finesse of Miss Austen's writing. I have to concede however that the original Pride and Prejudice was written as a contemporary novel, where as the sequels are now written as historical novels which makes the writing more difficult. I do feel though that much more research into Regency England by the author would have done much to enhance the novel. For example, the author had the annoying trait of attaching the title "Sir" to the surname instead of the forename which had me at my wits end.

This novel is OK for "chick lit" but not for hardcore Austen fanatics, or even fans.

Pet Owner's Guide to the Tortoise
Pet Owner's Guide to the Tortoise
by Simon J. Girling

2.0 out of 5 stars Pet Owner's Guide to the tortoise., 9 Jan. 2009
This title gives you a very basic introduction on keeping tortoises and is great if you want to get an idea about what tortoise keeping entails. However if you are wanting a more detailed incite into the subject, as you have a tortoise or are about to have one, then this book won't be that helpful. I found that some of the information on care and feeding of tortoises were some what out of date. Overall a good title for those with just a passing interest in tortoises, but not really worth having if you actually have a tortoise.