Profile for J. Lang > Reviews

Content by J. Lang

J. Lang

Queen Victoria's Gene: Haemophilia and the Royal Family (Pocket Biographies)
Queen Victoria's Gene: Haemophilia and the Royal Family (Pocket Biographies)
by D. M. Potts

4.0 out of 5 stars Queen Victoria's Gene: Haemophilia and the Royal Family, D. M. Potts, 4 Jan 2013
Actually, I like it a lot. Amazon can put ****1/2. This book is a credible account of the facts concerning the European royal haemophiliacs and of the appearance and disappearance of the gene in one family. Just what I wanted. The author's skills are, true enough, more medical and forensic than historical, thence the missing 1/2 star. But the balance is predominantly positive.
I wish D.M. Potts would tackle the gene of the madness of George III!

Klaus Tennstedt: The Complete Mahler Recordings
Klaus Tennstedt: The Complete Mahler Recordings

5.0 out of 5 stars Klaus Tennsdtedt: The Complete Mahler Recordings, 4 Jan 2013
These recordings are an illumination. I also have the 10 symphonies conducted by Haitink and am delighted with the contrast. I love the authenticity Tennstedt brings to Mahler, even if it is some times Mahler's and some times Tennstedt's.

Random House Russian English Dictionary of Idioms
Random House Russian English Dictionary of Idioms
by Sophia Lubensky

5.0 out of 5 stars Random House Russian-English Dictionary of Idioms, Sophia Lubensky, 4 Jan 2013
I had been searching for this dictionary since 2002 but without benefice of a computer. Thank you, Amazon. Thank you too, Ms Lubensky, where ever you are. Idioms are the soul of a language and the despair of the translator; you have delivered us the philosopher's stone.

Requests the Pleasure: 1939-1954
Requests the Pleasure: 1939-1954

2.0 out of 5 stars Requests the Pleasure: 1939-1954, Joyce Grenfell, 4 Jan 2013
I was disappointed that nearly all the tracks are songs. I was looking for Joyce Grenfell's sketches but wasn't able to identify which Grenfell CDs on offer contained what I was looking for.

request

Caught In The Act
Caught In The Act
Offered by musica

5.0 out of 5 stars Caught In The Act CD Borge, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Caught In The Act (Audio CD)
This CD is what I expected. It arrived in time. I like Victor Borge. What is not to like, right?