Profile for Opera Ghost > Reviews

Opera Ghost (Kent, U.K.)

The Da Vinci Code
The Da Vinci Code

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, majestic and moving, 12 Jun. 2006
This review is from: The Da Vinci Code (Audio CD)
I think Hans Zimmer's score for The Da Vinci Code is absolutely beautiful; sacred, mystical, uplifting music of the soul. My particular favourite is `Chevaliers de Sangreal', a piece I play over and over again for its magnificent strings and that soaring crescendo to the towering finale ~ a supreme piece of music. The whole score is dramatic and evocative of the power and mystery of the church down the ages. I loved the film and the book, and now through this wonderful CD I can relive both. Highly recommended for the sheer beauty of the choral works and the superb musical compositions.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2012 10:59 PM GMT

Pride & Prejudice - 2005 [DVD]
Pride & Prejudice - 2005 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely gorgeous film!, 19 Dec. 2005
Having seen Pride and Prejudice 5 times at the cinema (once with the U.S. ending) I can honestly state that this is now one of my all-time favourite films, and I much prefer it to the BBC 1995 version, much as I loved Colin Firth's Mr Darcy. Joe Wright has made a beautiful film of this much-loved story which is a joy and a delight to watch. The cast are superb, with special reference to Brenda Blethyn as Mrs Bennet. But my accolades go to Keira Knightley and Matthew McFadyen... they were the perfect Lizzy and Mr Darcy. Keira's Lizzy is a spirited young woman with a joyous attitude to life, in contrast to Matthew's Darcy who comes across as being more shy and reserved than pompous and arrogant, and is actually rather vulnerable. Shyness can often be mistaken for indifference. Matthew's declaration of love to Lizzy when they meet in the misty early dawn was said in such a heartfelt manner that I envied her with all my heart! He has such a lovely speaking voice.
I bought the soundtrack from Amazon after my first viewing of the film, and again, I love it for Dario Marianelli's absolutely gorgeous score.
Thanks to all concerned for giving us this wonderful adaptation of Pride and Prejudice... British film-making at its very best.