Profile for michael esse > Reviews

Content by michael esse

michael esse (England)

Page: 1 | 2
History of The Visitation (Bonus 1 DVD)
History of The Visitation (Bonus 1 DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars It is by Guapo, 20 Dec. 2012
That is all you need to know. It therefore garners five golden stars. It has been a long wait and it is with a new line up. Essential other albums by Guapo include Five Suns, Black Oni and Elixirs.

Moon [DVD] [2009]
Moon [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Sam Rockwell
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Exploration of inner space, 15 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Moon [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Perhaps like JG Ballard, this film is not the teenage science fiction of fighting aliens and the like but rather the exploration of the inner mind - an intelligent and thought-provoking study of what identity means, what it means to be human. Too much plot detail would spoilt the experience (as would watching the trailer)so I'll just say that this is my idea of science fiction: I'm thinking Silent Running, 2001 and (the original) Solaris by comparison in subject matter, style and qualtity of film.

Highly highly recommended.

There Will Be Blood (2 disc Special Edition) [DVD]
There Will Be Blood (2 disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Day-Lewis
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST FILM I'VE SEEN, 8 July 2008
Until I saw this the best film I'd seen was back in 1969; it was called 2001: A Space Oddysey. Strange, because the first part of this film has the same feel: epic, ominous, grand in scope, intense...

And it just never lets up.

DDL should have had several Oscars for this: he IS Daniel Plainview. It would be a great film anyway but he lifts it as high as the black gold blows.

AMAZING.

I've read some negative reviews (each to their own). One person preferred Transformers. So I guess to be fair I should say that if you're the sort of person that goes to see a film like Transformers you should maybe not watch this film. It's for adults.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2008 4:13 PM BST

Implosion
Implosion

4.0 out of 5 stars Instrumental heaven!, 28 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Implosion (Audio CD)
King Crimson, Bartok, Stravinsky, Henry Cow, Van der Graaf Generator, Charles Ives, Anthony Braxton, Soft Machine and Frank Zappa are some of the influences cited by Univers Zero, so one can immediately see that they are interested in creating music that stimulates, challenges and moves. I would also say that I hear touches of This Heat in their music. Their music speaks to both the mind and the spirit.

They recorded their first album in 1977 and it only took me nearly 30 years to hear of them and hear them. I am now well on my way to making good the lost time by buying all their albums. Although their line-up changes on each album (apart from drummer Daniel Denis) there is a consistency of purpose and quality that belies the years of line-up changes. All their albums (I'm nearly up to date!) are worthy of investigation I would say. There is no typical track on any album and no typical album, because of their interest in creating new music rather than any re-hashing. In terms of "sound" they tend to create using a mixture of modern electric stuff and older acoustic stuff. For example, a synthesizer and a bassoon!

A great band then that I recommend to anyone with an interest in truly modern music.

Hard Quest
Hard Quest

5.0 out of 5 stars Instrumental heaven!, 14 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Hard Quest (Audio CD)

Rhythmix
Rhythmix

5.0 out of 5 stars Instrumental heaven!, 14 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Rhythmix (Audio CD)

They recorded their first album in 1977 and it only took me nearly 30 years to hear of them and hear them. I am now well on my way to making good the lost time by buying all their albums. Although their line-up changes on each album (apart from drummer Daniel Denis) there is a consistency of purpose and quality that belies the years of line-up changes. All their albums (I'm VERY nearly up to date!) are worthy of investigation I would say. There is no typical track on any album and no typical album, because of their interest in creating new music rather than any re-hashing. In terms of "sound" they tend to create using a mixture of modern electric stuff and older acoustic stuff. For example, a synthesizer and a bassoon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Instrumental heaven!, 7 Nov. 2007
This review is from: 1313 (Audio CD)

Uzed
Uzed

4.0 out of 5 stars Instrumental heaven!, 7 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Uzed (Audio CD)

Heresie
Heresie

4.0 out of 5 stars Instrumental heaven!, 7 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Heresie (Audio CD)

Live
Live

5.0 out of 5 stars Instrumental heaven!, 7 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Live (Audio CD)

Page: 1 | 2