Profile for Astranovum > Reviews

Le Creuset Cast Iron and Stoneware Tagine, Volcanic
Le Creuset Cast Iron and Stoneware Tagine, Volcanic
Price: 116.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the only one to buy, 20 Feb 2014
My wife is a great lover of Tagine cooking, our family know this and twice she has been presented with one for a birthday present. On both occasions they failed. Either they lacked any practical capacity or being of ceramic construction they both very quickly went the way of all pottery on a stove!

I am an ex chef myself and know very well that only good tools deliver and last. Thus I decided to take the plunge and purchase what might appear at first site to be a very expensive alternative. So much so that my wife hit the roof and couldn't stop complaining about my apparent profligacy.

It is true that we are not in the habit of throwing that kind of cash at one pot but I can assure you she has now come full circle. She loves the Tagine more than any other pot in the house, we cook every imaginable dish in it (not just Tagine recipes) and because of it's design the dish cooks slowly with no apparent loss of liquid and the results are tender meat and very tasty veg.

You can't beat slow cooking and you can't beat a Tagine as the tool for job and this tool, built like a tank will last you a lifetime. I couldn't possibly give it less than five stars.

Zoom H6 Handy Recorder
Zoom H6 Handy Recorder
Offered by Sound Affects
Price: 319.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning absolutely stunning!, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Zoom H6 Handy Recorder
Having used the Zoom H4n several times a week for close on three years now and with great success, I was intrigued to see the company produce another model, the Zoom H6. At first I thought it was going to be some incremental upgrade with a few alterations to the case and couple of new bells and whistles. How wrong could I be?

I am now the very happy owner of the Zoom H6 and have used it extensively over the last few months recording live bands so I feel qualified to say that it is not in any way like it's predecessor! Just about everything that Zoom could improve, they have improved.

I did invest in the extra module for the top that gives me two more XLR inputs bringing the total up to six so now I have, in effect, a six channel digital recorder and mixer all built in with phantom power on four channels for my condenser mics too!

I still have my H4n, I love it and would never part with it. I use it at home for single track overdubs in my DAW but it doesn't get out much any more. I couldn't even consider going back to this machine for the challenging recordings I now do on location.

I can recommend the Zoom H6 with absolutely no hesitation and NO I don't have any connection with the company whatsoever!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2014 11:19 PM BST

The Big Cheese STV076 Squirrel Cage Trap
The Big Cheese STV076 Squirrel Cage Trap
Price: 13.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite remarkable!, 4 Aug 2011
We spent many hours trawling the web reading up on every imaginable contraption claiming to defeat and dispose of the dreaded Grey Squirrel but as our need grew more and more pressing I finally came down in favour of this little rig. I couldn't have been more happy and impressed. Within minutes of receiving the trap it was out there baited with 'Snicker Bar' and minutes later the first casualty was in the cage waiting to be taken to it's new home in a nearby forest. No sooner had I got back home, re baited and set the trap than number two squirrel was in the cage looking more than a little put out. He was soon rejoining his mate some miles away and hopefully lived happily ever after.

I cannot praise this trap highly enough. If you have a squirrel problem and you want a thoroughly humane way of dealing with it then look no further than the Big Cheese STV076. And when you have cleared the problem you can put the trap away in a safe place for the next time. Oh yes you can be sure that there will be new visitors at some time in the future!

Pocket Guide to Matching the Hatch
Pocket Guide to Matching the Hatch
by Peter Lapsley
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a no brainer - just get it!, 12 May 2010
I am relatively new to fly fishing, battling with challenging techniques, everything from casting that little bit of fluff and feathers to actually tying my own flies. I am pretty much on top of this side of things now, reading the water and knowing what fly to use on any given situation has however completely eluded me.

Many books, magazines and online articles later I am still not much wiser. A nugget here and a gem there perhaps but that's about it. That was until I discovered 'Pocket Guide to Matching the Hatch'. What a revelation! This compact little book contains just about all the info most of us would ever need clearly laid out with illustrations of the life cycle of each insect pus the patterns of the flies that represent it. The material is in chronological order working through the season clearly showing flies that work best on running or still water thus leaving little to doubt.

I dare say there are a number of seasoned anglers who feel they are above all this. However, judging from some of the vague, misleading and ill informed advice I have received at the water's edge I think perhaps they might like to reconsider. Personally I cannot recommend it highly enough, I wouldn't go out without it and for the price, it's an absolute no brainer!

Improve Your Mah Jong
Improve Your Mah Jong
by Maloney Thompson
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, 8 July 2009
Wonderful book, would not be without it. So handy with its ring binder and size. Clear pictures, index and instructions for both Chinese and western game. It was recommended to me and I shall be recommending to my fellow players.