Profile for philhippos > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Lowepro Lens Case 2
Lowepro Lens Case 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Great long zoom case, 3 July 2015
This review is from: Lowepro Lens Case 2 (Electronics)
Good, well made lens case. Fits my Nikon 70-300mm with lens hood reversed easily without being loose.

Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Unrivalled, 12 Jun. 2015
Pin sharp throughout the frame with minimal and uncomplex distortion - ultrawide at 10mm end and the 24mm end is 36mm in "old money" - given that an old-fashioned 35mm compact often had a fixed 35mm lens this is not a bad walking about lens and much more versatile than a 8-16 or 10-20 especially when paired with a 28-300mm for an unrivalled combination - that extra 4mm delays the moment when the urge to swap over to a longer lens becomes irrisistable. This is a great lens with a broader zoom than the competition and can be bought used for £500 - what's not to like?

PetGear by Happy Pet Window Vent Guard
PetGear by Happy Pet Window Vent Guard

2.0 out of 5 stars Security an issue, 10 April 2015
I have a Ford Focus Hatchback 2006 model. Whilst I was able to fit these to my rear windows and thereby provide adequate ventilation I can see two serious security issues. Firstly they are flimsy and quite bendy and it would require very little force to pull them out of the installed position no matter how tightly they are installed. Secondly, as with most modern cars, there is a vertical gap between the rear of the window and the door when it is opened; I am a six foot moderately built male and was able to reach into the car as far as my elbow through this gap. In short this device offers very little more security than an open window and I could not recommend it. I believe all similar devices are pretty much identical.

White Double Bed Size Luxury Quilted Mattress Protector Cover, Fitted, Extra Deep 33cm Poly cotton
Offered by Homewholesaleruk

1.0 out of 5 stars Be very careful, 11 Dec. 2014
This listing is being used by a number of sellers offering varying sizes and qualities of double protector. I received one that, despite the generous claims on the packaging, was too small and split immediately on attempting to fit it to the mattress. It was made of a very poor quality synthetic material with a tendency to shred. My advice, steer clear, or at least question the seller before purchasing.

Failsworth Hats Waxed Drifter Water Repellent Hat - Brown Brown MEDIUM
Failsworth Hats Waxed Drifter Water Repellent Hat - Brown Brown MEDIUM
Offered by Hats and Caps

5.0 out of 5 stars More Maigret than Crocodile Dundee, 9 Sept. 2014
I like this hat. Most Fedoras are made of felt and get waterlogged; I wanted waterproof but couldn't stand the idea of one of those Aussie style leather things that make most Englishmen look absolute twonks. This is relatively lightweight, waterproof and looks smart - goes very well with my Barbour waxed jacket - and at £23.95p inc P&P is excellent value.

Lowepro Microtrekker 100 Backpack for DSLR Accessories - Black
Lowepro Microtrekker 100 Backpack for DSLR Accessories - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, ergonomic, spacious and comfortable camera bag, 16 July 2014
This bag carries the following for me with a small compartment left over for spare batteries,blower brush, and a filter stack or one more lens!:

Nikon D5200 (with battery grip fitted) with Nikon 16-85mm lens fitted
Nikon 70-300mm lens
Nikon 10-24mm lens
Sigma 105mm macro lens

That is without using the frontal compartments. This bag is superb. It rides quite high on the back making it comfortable to carry what is, after all, a significant load. The front cross strap adds stability and security by tying the shoulder straps at the front just below collar bone level.

1234-Buy 70
1234-Buy 70

5.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy but OK for occassional use, 9 July 2014
This review is from: 1234-Buy 70 (Electronics)
Very cheap - mine cost £4.95p inc P&P!! - bot does the job for occassional use (which I suspect covers most domestic users). It is tall enough that most users would not deploy the slimmest section although, even fully extended it is relatively rigid. The clamps seem to hold well. The head is flimsy and, in use, I leave the camera strap around my neck in case disaster strikes. Bottom line is that this monopod works but I suspect ill not last forever. For ten times as much you could buy one that worked a bit better and lasted longer. You do the math - for a fiver I am well pleased with it and expect it will last me a year or two - however long it lasts, if it breaks I'll chuck it in the bin and buy another, because I'm an occassional user. BUT, if I intended to use this frequently, in the field, perhaps whilst birdwatching or similar, I'd pay a lot more for a more rugged piece of kit. You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon Fit Lens
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon Fit Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful with D5200, 3 July 2014
This lens is a pleasure to use. Compact, lightweight, smooth. I'm using it on a Nikon D5200 - set the aperture ring to f32 and lock it - it then becomes a CPU lens with D5200, requiring manual focus - easy with the super-smooth focussing ring - all other settings (aperture, speed, ISO etc) are selected as with any Nikon lens by the camera according to how you have the camera set up. As far as I can see the only practical difference between this and the later OS HSM lens is that, well.....this doesn't have OS or HSM (with a Nikon DX camera - it DOES have autofocus with cameras that autofocus from the body). HSM (autofocus) is said not to work very well with macro lenses as a group; it can be fiddly focussing on very close flowers if they're moving, but I wonder how effective HSM would be in this context? For portrait shots it seems a lot easier - the tolerances aren't so critical and posing people don't tend to move a lot. Likewise, OS (image stabilisation) would be handy but so long as shutter speed is appropriate and matched by a steady hand it's no hardship - after all, for both these applications you'd probably want to use a tripod, so both OS and HSM become less relevant.

I paid £185 used for mine, instead of £379 for the OS HSM version. I'm glad I saved the money. Also, using this lens instead of the "bells & whistles" one forces me to think a bit more about each shot - now that's got to be a good thing, hasn't it?

Universal Bag Pouch with Neckstrap for Digital Camera (Sony Cybershot Compacts), Memory Cards, Batteries etc
Offered by TECHNOPRO

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little pouch for various bits & pieces, 28 May 2014
Well made pouch - I've bought a few of these to store things like, spare batteries, chargers, cables etc within my camera bag - belt loop is not quite big enough to fit the sort of wide belt used with jeans or chinos but, for me that is not an issue. For £0.99p including delivery these are the bargain of the century.

Black Leather Belt Zipper Pouch Bag Mobile Phone Camera Case Money Sat Nav RM07
Black Leather Belt Zipper Pouch Bag Mobile Phone Camera Case Money Sat Nav RM07

1.0 out of 5 stars Stitching not good, 28 May 2014
It's very cheap - but it is leather. I bought mine to contain a 67mm filter in stack-caps and a spare battery for my camera. The belt-loop stitching came apart the first time I used it but I repaired it and now it does what I need it for.

**Update** After a couple of weeks use I got fed up with repairing it a threw it away!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3