Profile for G. Hall > Reviews

Content by G. Hall

G. Hall "Offshore Radio Fan" (Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
TV Is The Thing - Fifties And Sixties Television Themes
TV Is The Thing - Fifties And Sixties Television Themes

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING., 27 Oct. 2014
I must admit I ordered this ages ago, a bit blind, but after receiving yesterday, I wish I hadn't have bothered. Why, the sound quality throughout is dreadful, sounds like it has been copied from scratchy old vinyl. Add to that, it has been mastered with old TV advertising jingles just before the start of the tunes, those as well awful quality. If they had have been put on as an extra track, that might have been okay, but again, the dreadful sound quality. My other problem, I present on Lincoln City Radio, so I won't really be able to use this on my Sounds Instrumental programme. I am tempted to return it, but is it worth it. My final comment - DO NOT ORDER THIS, AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2015 3:24 PM GMT

The Dave Cash Collection: 50th Anniversary of the Big L (Pirate Radio London), Vol. 7

1.0 out of 5 stars Treat with Caution, 9 April 2014
It would appear that some if the tracks are marked 'rerecordings' if that is the case with others, sorry to say, I would avoid like the proverbial. Sorry Mr Cash.

On Air - Live At The BBC Vol 2
On Air - Live At The BBC Vol 2
Offered by Great Price Media EU

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed by the packaging., 20 Nov. 2013
I must admit I was a little hesitant when this first came out, but being a Beatle fan since 1963, I succumbed and went ahead and ordered it. I would have given it a 5 star rating, but I was disappointed by the cardboard packaging. The content of both cd's, great, but I assume it will only be purchased by diehard Beatle fans. Interesting to hear different versions of songs we've known and loved for 40+ years. Don't let me put you off, go ahead and order it. This was reviewed by me on my programme on Lincoln City Radio on Sunday Nov. 17th. Now, will The Beatles interview with Tom Lodge of Radio Caroline fame be put out for the general public. Yes, I realise it was put out by East Anglian Productions years ago, but I understand copies of that cd are changing hands for a tidy sum.

Jake In A Box: The EMI Recordings 1967-1976
Jake In A Box: The EMI Recordings 1967-1976

5.0 out of 5 stars GENIUS, 30 Mar. 2013
GENIUS!
It's an over used word these days, but I make no apologies for using it again. In my opinion, that's the only way to describe Jake. I was first introduced to Jake way back in 1967 by a very early girlfriend who sang his praises after seeing him on The Bernard Braden programme on TV. I thought 'this singer is something special', from then on, I was hooked. I'd heard a few Jake tracks, but never got round to exploring his work further, only hearing the occasional song on the radio at the time. Remaining a fan for ages, I realise that some music genres are an acquired taste. My ex wife couldn't understand why I was such a fan of Jake, likewise my partner now is not a fan (love her still!). I did actually buy a Jake cd put out by EMI in the early days, and another 'best of' a few years later. But this set brings together virtually all of Jakes recordings, like another reviewer, I never saw Jake live, what a treat that would have been. There's a mix of songs, gentle folky type songs, songs where the obvious love of Yorkshire comes through, songs with a twist at the end, and then the comedy songs. I'm listening to this set at the moment, reliving some very happy memories. Reading the very informative booklet tells of Jakes admiration for the French singer Georges Brassens, and sleeve notes written by Bernard Braden, again Bernard's admiration for Jake comes through. I often feature Jake on my radio programmes on Lincoln City Radio, where at least two of my colleagues are fans of Jake too. Sound quality throughout is first class, this cd is a must for fans of sixties folk or straightforward pop music, give it a listen, like me you'll be hooked. Highly recommended.

Stampede! The United Artists Story (1962)
Stampede! The United Artists Story (1962)
Offered by Discs4all

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bargain Price If Nothing Else., 21 Feb. 2013
For many years I've been unable to resist various artist albums like this one. As I mention in the title of the review, this is an absolute bargain, three cd's for less than the price of one. As with the previous reviewer, it's good to hear some of the well known artistes, Dame Shirley Bassey for example, but I look forward to discovering the unknown/unheard ones of which there are quite a few here. Highly recommended to music lovers like me, I would have given it five stars, but a couple of moans. I suspect on some of the tracks, they are dubbed from vinyl, but don't let that put you off. A quirk of mine, I would have put the tracks in chronological order, which One Day Music did with a recent double cd of Pye International releases. But the biggest moan, no cd booklet to let you know who some of the unknowns are. Okay, I guess from the price, a booklet wasn't possible, but I would have gladly paid three times the price to have a booklet with some details. And like the previous reviewer, this set will get plenty of plays on my programmes on Lincoln City Radio 103.6FM. And one final point, just who are One Day Music??
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2013 9:48 AM BST

Baby I Love You
Baby I Love You
Offered by dutchtoni

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard To Find, But Worth It., 2 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Baby I Love You (Audio CD)
I found details of this cd set on another website, checked out the tracklisting and I thought, wow, I've got to have that. It's a 4 cd set, arranged very nearly in chronological order, from mid 1967 to around the end of 1974. I wonder if it is part of a planned series. About half of the 100 tracks will be familiar to the average listener, but again as with other compilations, it's the not so well known tracks I look for. In fact two tracks on cd one made me order, and coincidentally, they are together, Callow La Vita by Raymond Froggatt, and Abergavenny by Marty Wilde. One point, unless it's my memory playing tricks, Callow La Vita has the composer credits Alpert/Bacharach/David, I always thought Raymond Froggatt wrote it himself. That aside, it's good to finally get Abergavenny, a record that received loads of airplay, but didn't trouble the charts. Cd2 contains a song called Thanks by J.Vincent Edward, another one I've been after for years. I have to say, the sound quality throughout is first class, some of the songs sounding cleaner and fresher than ever. Some of the tracks of course were hits in Holland, in fact listening to the cd now, it's as though I am listening to Radio Northsea International or Veronica in 1970/71, lots of the songs will be familiar if like me you were glued to these stations. A very highly recommended set that was hard to find, and even hard to find here on Amazon!, putting the title in the search still isn't finding it, I accessed from my order page to do this review. You won't be disappointed.

The London American Label Year By Year, 1956
The London American Label Year By Year, 1956

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace By Name, Ace By Quality., 24 Dec. 2012
Another in the series The London American Label from Ace, and with others in the series, it contains some absolute gems, sound quality as usual from Ace is top notch, as is the always informative booklet. I hope that Ace continue the series, I wrote to them recently congratulating them on this excellent series, and askng if they will be carrying on with more, at the moment they are up to 1963, hope they do go into the mid sixties, and possibly other volumes of the already issued ones. Would highly recommend to all, whether you are a music lover, or wanting to build a collection of classic rock and roll. Well done Ace.

Trojan Presents: Mod Ska
Trojan Presents: Mod Ska

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Early Ska., 24 Dec. 2012
A very reasonaby priced cd set from Trojan, the masters of reggae. Good to hear some tracks that are new to me, but some of the lyrics are a bit on the risque side, or is it my overactive imagination!. As usual with Trojan, it contains some very informative notes in the booklet. I see that there are more sets in the series, I'll probably be ordering some of those too.

Christmas Memories ... Are Made Of This
Christmas Memories ... Are Made Of This
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Memories Indeed., 24 Dec. 2012
A well priced cd set, containing lots of familiar songs, also a nice touch to include songs that were hits around Christmas time, including Somewhere My Love by The Mike Sammes Singers, a mega seller in 1966 and 1967. Probably won't play the cd until December of next year.

Come On Let's Go: The Pye International Story, 1958-1961
Come On Let's Go: The Pye International Story, 1958-1961

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Value For Money., 23 Aug. 2012
I admit to being a little sceptical about this cd set when I first saw it advertised. As any record collector will know, it seems that Pye Group cd compilations are issued with alarming regularity, some of them with very little thought as to their content. Checking the track listing changed my mind, okay, there was a double cd set put out by Sequel years ago, and I have to say, it was a great retrospective look at the Pye International label. Thinking there would be lots of duplications, I was pleasantly surprised with this new set. There are the few tracks that are on the Sequel set, but there are loads that aren't. Out of the 50 tracks here, so many good ones, too many to list, but for years I've been after Uh Oh by The Nutty Squirrels, I'd been unable to find Pineapple Princess by Annette Funicello, they're both on here. Many other great tracks as well, as for the price, how do they do it. There could have been a little more detail about some of the artistes, but that's only a minor point. I realise that some collectors won't want the information that me, a diehard collector craves. One thing that puzzles me, who are Not Now Music, are they owned by one of the major labels?. Now the big question and I'm sure others will ask this too, are there going to be more cd's in the series, as Pye International issued singles up to at least 7N 25747, so there's certainly scope for several more double cd sets to come. I certainly hope so, then of course they could take a look at the Piccadilly label, and hopefully do a similar job. A big well done to Not Now Music, and it goes without saying, highly recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2012 2:44 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3