Profile for G. Hall > Reviews

Content by G. Hall

G. Hall "Offshore Radio Fan" (Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Tighten Up Volume 1
Tighten Up Volume 1
Offered by johnny8640

5.0 out of 5 stars Reggae Classics, 11 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Tighten Up Volume 1 (Audio CD)
A big well done to Sanctuary Records for the re-issue of a classic album, I have to admit, I was never really a big fan of reggae, only really knowing the single tracks that made the top 40. Many great tracks on this deluxe 2 cd set, glancing at other reviews, they said basically what I had in mind. One of the many tracks that I'd not heard before is the Byron Lee & The Dragonaires version of the Booker T hit Soul Limbo, more commonly known these days as the theme to the BBC TV cricket programme. I'm certain the Byron Lee version would have been a huge hit if it hadn't been overshadowed by the Booker T version. Highly recommended to any body with an interest in 60's music, or as an introduction to reggae, or to replace those old worn out singles. Finally, the set features a highly informative booklet detailing all the tracks, written by the reggae expert Laurence Cane-Honeysett. If Sanctuary can come up with a 2cd set at an amazing price, some of the other big name cd companies ought to take note. This is how it should be done.

It Ain't Half Hot Mum - Complete Eighth Series [1980] [DVD]
It Ain't Half Hot Mum - Complete Eighth Series [1980] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Windsor Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Old Fashioned Harmless Fun., 31 Dec. 2009
As with all of the previous DVD's in this series, this one is first class. Good harmless comedy when comedy meant comedy, and not the so called comedy of today littered with four letter words and totally un-necessary sexual comments. We'll soon be at an end with the series, but always worth watching a second and third time. But if my memory serves me correctly, didn't Michael Bates sadly pass away and was unable to complete a series, as for me, he was the star of the show/series. Highly recommended to fans of a certain age, and some of todays youngsters ought to give it a try too, I'm sure they would be hooked.

Jackie: The Annual 2010
Jackie: The Annual 2010
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from the Jackie people., 13 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Jackie: The Annual 2010 (Audio CD)
I tend to buy CD's like this that come in series, I feel that once I've started, I have to carry on. Anyway, enough of my buying habits, this is another in an excellent series put out by EMI TV in conjunction with the girls magazine/comic, Jackie. It follows on the good work on the previous items, if you were to categorise it, it would have to be glam rock. And there is no shortage of pictures on all of the sets, and this one, of David Cassidy, Osmonds etc. A typical mix of glam rock era favourites, along with one or two tracks from the late sixties, but these will be known as they are all big hits. There are 69 tracks on this latest set, many good tracks, but the stand out ones for me are Journey by Duncan Browne, Pinball by Brian Protheroe, a Cook/Greenaway composition called Softly Whispering I Love You by The Congregation featuring the incredible voice of Brian Keith, Forever by Roy Wood, who should be recognised by the Queen in the New Year Honours for his contribution to music over the years. But lets save the best (in my opinion) till last - the debut hit by The New Seekers, Never Ending Song Of Love, featuring the amazing under rated talent of Eve Graham, one of the best, if not the best looking women in seventies pop. I would have given it 5 stars, but due to the inclusion of certain tracks that I didn't like then, and I've not changed my mind now, it's 4 stars. Good price too.

A Solitary Man: The Early Songs Of Neil Diamond
A Solitary Man: The Early Songs Of Neil Diamond

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Masterpieces from early Neil Diamond, 2 Oct. 2009
As with all Ace cd's the selection, sound quality, informative booklet, everything is first class. May not appeal to Neil's legion of fans of his later material, but like me who prefer the early stuff, this is well worth purchasing. Only a few tracks will be familiar, Lulu, Tony Tribe, The Monkees among them, but the unknown tracks, mostly outstanding compositions, most if not all could have been hits if they received the airplay they deserved. Thoroughly enjoyable, and very highly recommended.

The London American Label Year By Year 1960
The London American Label Year By Year 1960

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ace Label - So aptly named, 2 Oct. 2009
It never ceases to amaze me how Ace keep coming up with so many different permutations to provide us with the hits of the 50's and 60's. And this item will appeal to the many lovers of music from this era, I have purchased some 50 or so cd's from the Ace label, every one of them an absolute gem. They cannot be bettered for sound quality, information in minute detail on all of the tracks, this is so vital to me, unlike some companies who can just about give you a track listing. Not to mention pictures of the artistes featured. Anyway, back to this cd, to the average listener, most of the tracks will probably be unknown, and when purchasing a cd like this, these are the ones I listen to first. There are some familiar tracks, and also some familiar names with unknown tracks, like the track by Lee Hazlewood and Duane Eddy & His Orchestra, an amazing track by a girl group called The Delicates, which surprisingly wasn't even a US hit. Knowing how many singles were released on the London label, it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't a second volume of most of the years, how about it Ace??. Can't wait for other years in the series to come, finally, marks out of 10?, I'd give it 37, it's that good.

ShipRocked: Life on the Waves with Radio Caroline
ShipRocked: Life on the Waves with Radio Caroline
by Steve Conway

5.0 out of 5 stars An unsung hero from Caroline, 25 May 2009
Like the other reviews, I cannot fault this, Steve always came over as a mate, great programming from him on Caroline, and he brings it to life in this excellent book. Yes, it would have been nice to see pictures of the staff, but most of the important people were there, Peter Chicago, Mike Watts in particular. And like another reviewer, I couldn't put the book down, I too, finished it in a couple of days. If by chance Steve reads these reviews, a big well done mate, for your work on Caroline, and the excellent book.

Capitol Collectors Series
Capitol Collectors Series

5.0 out of 5 stars And you thought they only recorded 'Big Man', 13 Aug. 2008
To any music fan of the sixties, I suggest you give this one a listen, it is an amazing selection from a very under-rated group. Not only did they record 'Big Man', but many others, of which only 2 others hit the UK charts. It's so easy to see where The Barron Knights got their inspiration for their many novelty hits, they probably heard the track The Big Draft. But as with many US groups, the Four Preps had a tremendous close harmony sound, as well as the novelty tracks. Well worth a listen and like me, you will probably want to hear more from them. Finally, sound quality is first class for some of the recordings are around 50 years old. Like me, you'll be hooked.

The Autobiography
The Autobiography
by Johnnie Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars The Legend That Is Johnnie Walker., 7 July 2007
This review is from: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
Like other reviewers, I too have been a fan since the Radio England/Caroline days, and have followed Johnnie through his long and varied career, and throughout the book, he comes across as the mate you always wanted to have - I consider him a friend after all these years. I was a member of his fan club in the Caroline days, so successfully run by his mother from their home. It comes over from Johnnie that his family was so important to him, there were times I had to stop reading the book, tears in the eyes and a lump in the throat. Many highlights in the book, the pirate days were my favourites, and he speaks with passion about those days too. Highly recommended to anybody with the slightest interest in the music business, perhaps we may get further books from Johnnie, some of the stories of the artistes he met and toured with would be most welcomed. 'Legend' is often a word that gets over used these days, this is the only way to describe the one and only Johnnie Walker, long may he grace our radio waves.

Nottingham & Long Eaton Speedway
Nottingham & Long Eaton Speedway
by Philip Dalling

4.0 out of 5 stars Tuesday Night Was Speedway Night!, 12 Jun. 2007
A fascinating book for anyone with an interest in speedway, especially for the long suffering Long Eaton supporters like myself. Lots of memories for me of Long Eaton in the 60's, my first speedway meeting was the third match of 1964, and from then on, I was hooked. Lots of info

about Nottingham Speedway, and then the move to Long Eaton in the 50's. Many pictures of the riders, riders like Norman Storer, my all time hero, Rim Malskaitis, tried hard, but never quite made it, and of course, Ray Wilson, the number one Long Eaton rider of the era. Also, lets not forget Reg Fearman, the promoter, a giant of a man, and the one who should be thanked for many, many happy nights at Long Eaton. It brings a lump to the throat seeing pictures of the old place, especially the crowds on the home straight. Highly recommended, I would advise any supporter to buy it, also, not forgetting, well done to the author Philip Dalling.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2008 12:26 PM BST

20th Century Masters
20th Century Masters

5.0 out of 5 stars The Under Rated Keith Hampshire, 28 April 2006
This review is from: 20th Century Masters (Audio CD)
Keith Hampshire - who is he I hear most of you cry, older people like myself remember Keith, or as he was known on Radio Caroline in 1966-67 as Keefers, the very under rated breakfast DJ with the catch phrase 3 Solid Hours of Finger Snappin', Toe Tappin', etc. Like other DJ's of the time, Keith left Caroline after doing his breakfast show on that fateful day, Monday August 14th 1967. He really should have gone on to greater success, but sadly this was not to be, he made one record in 1967 before he returned home to Canada, this was for the very small 'King' record label, a record called 'Millions Of Hearts', which Keith himself did not rate very highly. His next release in the UK was a cover of the Cat Stevens song 'The First Cut Is The Deepest' which is included here, and I myself had the dubious honour of having this record played on Johnnie Walkers Radio 1 show in his feature, 'The One That Got Away'. I have a CD from Keith himself, it features more tracks than this CD, but it does show what a fine singer Keith was. Difficult to recommend this to anyone in the UK, other than the dwindling number of Offshore Radio Enthusiasts, but having said that, it's well worth a listen, and being a collector of the out of the ordinary this could fall into that category.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3