Profile for Sally Makaruk > Reviews

Content by Sally Makaruk

Sally Makaruk "sallymak" (Wales, UK)

Style Solutions Rechargeable Cordless Ceramic Straighteners
Style Solutions Rechargeable Cordless Ceramic Straighteners
Offered by Bentham Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of okay, 10 Nov. 2011
I assumed that these straighteners wouldn't be amazing from other reviews, which have turned out to be quite accurate. I haven't used the straighteners much since I bought them a few weeks ago but when I do use them, they are fine. If my hair is pre-straightened with my GHD's then I can use these to straighten my hair at the gym after I have cycled to work. It's true, the plates don't touch but if you hold them together at the end, you can get quite straight hair. I have very thick hair so it would take me hours to straighten my hair with these straighteners but they are fine for just doing a bit of the front and back before work. Unlike others, for me, the straighteners turn on and off when I want them to. Charge seems okay. I can use them for maybe 10 minutes for 3 days and then charge them after that.

>>FWD this link: A Rough Guide to staying amused online when you should be working (Rough Guides Reference Titles)
by Rhodri Marsden

4.0 out of 5 stars Never Be Bored Again!, 24 Dec. 2008
This is a brilliant book ideal for procrastinating! It suggests a HUGE range of websites to visit and online videos to watch when you really should be doing something more important. You can find sites that allow you to blow up fellow jelly babies in a battle to your confectionery grave, watch drunk people falling over or even watch sand fall from the top to the bottom of your screen.

Whichever you decide to do, this book will keep you amused for hours.

Sure, I could find some of these things on the internet myself, and have previously seen a few, but I like how the book brings the amusement of the internet together in this little guide.

Overall, it's a light-hearted guide to avoiding boredom that I really enjoyed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2009 12:46 PM GMT

The Rough Guide to the First-Time Around the World - Edition 2
The Rough Guide to the First-Time Around the World - Edition 2
by Doug Lansky

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical & Accessible, 24 Dec. 2008
As a current student intending to take a gap-year after University, this book has been really useful to me when seeking basic advice about how to start planning my trip.

The guide is easily accessible, easy to read and seems really genuine. It contains information about where to travel, when to travel and the practicalities of a long trip away from home. If nothing else, the guide acts as a reassurance that taking a HUGE break away from home is do-able and an amazing experience.

I'd advise anyone planning a gap-year or around the world travel to read this guide.

Silent Night: The Remarkable Christmas Truce of 1914
Silent Night: The Remarkable Christmas Truce of 1914
by Stanley Weintraub

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece however, slightly fragmented, 25 Jan. 2005
An enchanting tale, as Weintraub brings history to life, in this documented, well-researched book.
Weintraub fills the book with heart-warming information relating to the event of the Christmas 1914 Truce on the Front across France. I found the book to be both insightful and interesting, although felt that the Chapters, and therefore the story did not really progress throughout the book.
Although easy to understand, after re-reading, it is more noticeable that the book tends to be rather fragmented, and slightly repetitive, which caused myself to become relatively bored at some parts of the book.
However, I would recommend Weintraub's work, especially Silent Night, to anyone looking for an informative, yet easy read (I first read this book when I was 14 and coped with the terms that he uses).
One certainty, is that Weintraub captures the spirit in his writing. Definitely one to read at Christmas, over and over again!