Profile for D. H > Reviews

Denby Jet Black Soup Bowl
Denby Jet Black Soup Bowl
Offered by Debenhams

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as in photo, 18 Nov. 2014
These soup bowls compliment the Denby jet (black) set very nicely, they are a nice elegant addition to your service and look beautiful as part of a formal setting.

However the soup bowl pictured is very misleading. I believe the soup bowl in the picture is the gourmet bowl (though I could be wrong). The bowls I received do not have the mat black edging like the dinner service does and the band/ edging is not as deep as the picture shows (please see uploaded photos). If I hadn't have bought these bowls from a well known high st store (on amazon) I would have been suspicious they were fake. But I know for a fact this company has been a supplier of Denby ever since I can remember so trust completely these are kosher.

It would seem I cannot upload a photo.

Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare (PS3)
Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare (PS3)
Offered by Turbotrance

1.0 out of 5 stars RESEARCH RESEARCH AND RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY THIS GAME FROM ANYWHERE!, 21 Oct. 2014
FALSE ADVERTISING!!! this is NOT pegi 7! Cannot play it at all off line. Cannot play under 13yrs legally! An adult needs to sign your consumer rights away (metaphorically speaking) with EA before you can even start the game. Baring in mind a lot of gaming shops will not let you take your games back after purchasing and refund all your money back, once that seal is broken and that disc goes into your game station. Your hand is persuaded/ pushed or forced in to accepting what ever terms and conditions that company chooses to give you in service.

In purchasing this disc, you are not purchasing the game! This disc holds nothing but terms and conditions. These terms and conditions read (as I understand them) that you have no rights whatsoever with this game, meaning; you don't buy the game! (it's not like sims where you still have the game and can play or buy expansions go back to the beginning and start again etc.) As this game is a fully online game ea can change and charge for the game in any way shape or form as they see fit. You have a choice to pay/play or not. BE VERY AWARE OF YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND READ ALL THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BEFORE ACCEPTING!

After you click to accept their terms and conditions (if you don't accept you don't get to play on this game!) EA then want all of your information. Possibly some way of acquiring payment ( I didn't, I confess get to this point as I didn't accept the terms and conditions). But I did research! You need to research to. Is your information really safe with these companies? Are you getting suckered into accepting terms you wouldn't ordinarily accept?

I personally no longer trust EA or whoever is above, surrounding or below this conglomerate, so will no longer buy it's new games.

In researching this con of a disc on line to try to get it working (before even getting to the t&c's), Here is what I found, so I thought I Would copy and paste so no other parent feels they are getting conned and is well informed when buying this game for a young child's Birthday or Christmas Present.:

Re: can not play PvZ garden warfare on PS4 sub accounts why not?
Options
‎09-06-2014 08:36 AM

This was the response I had from EA, excuse the typos as I was doing it on my phone

Chat Transcript
info: Your approximate wait time is 0 minute.
info: You are now ready to chat with Mohd.
Mohd: Thanks for contacting EA Customer Experience, my name is Mohd. How may I assist you today?
you: My brother can't play pvz garden warfare on the psi
you: *ps3
you: It says there are parental controls in effect but there aren't any set up on the ps3 or the pan
Mohd: Oh I see.
Mohd: Before going ahead may I know your name please so that I can address you?
you: Richard
Mohd: Thanks Richard for your name.
Mohd: Do not worry I'll check this for you.
Mohd: May I know the Origin account Email address to which the game is registered to look into the issue?
you: Thanks, he hasn't been able to create an origin account because he's only 10
you: From what I've read on the forums and the psn forum this appears to be the issue
you: As the game wants him to create an origin I'd but he isn't old enough so just gives the parental control error
Mohd: Okay.
Mohd: In that case he will not be able to play the game.
Mohd: To play online he is not old Enough.
you: Is there due to be a fix seeing as the game is rated 7+
Mohd: I am sorry but nothing can be done in this issue.
Mohd: Is there anything else I may assist you with?
you: Is there any way you can feed it back as there is already a lot of anger at ea on both the ea forum and the psn forum at the fact that under 13 year olds can't play the game
Mohd: I can understand but it's all for the security of the children.
Mohd: By the way I'll mention this issue in the notes.
you: Thanks
Mohd: You are most welcome
you: It wouldn't of been an issue except the game is advertised as suitable for children over 7
Mohd: Yes but to play online 7 years is not enough
Mohd: I have mentioned your issue in the notes.
you: Thanks, have a great day
Mohd: I wish I could do something from my end
Mohd: But it is not in my hand.
Mohd: You are most welcome.
Mohd: Thank you for contacting EA. Have a great day.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2015 8:35 AM GMT

The Shakespeare Stories
The Shakespeare Stories
by Andrew Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bards Greatest works made easy for younger readers., 9 Sept. 2014
These books are a great introduction to old literature for young children/ readers.

They are well written and help to create a good understanding of the Bard's greatest stories. My Son loves these books and hopefully these introductions will make high school English Lit easier to understand when he eventually leaves primary.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I did this in stages. Absolutely stunning!, 29 April 2014
I wanted a beautiful glossy finish, Well I have achieved it With 3 coats of this oil.

here's what you need:

1 x Old Tshirt cut up into decent sized rags (ends all folded into the centre so its a smoothish dome shape)
a pack of disposable gloves
1 x bottle White spirit (actually less than a quarter for me)
1 x cotton dishcloth
1 x Hoover/ Vacuum

I have done my floor in stages (first we pulled out all the white goods and did the whole of the 3 coats in 1 day) I started early in the morning in spring (mid/ late April so it's quite warm) cleaned and oiled. Within 4 hours it was fully dried, Mid day I coated the second time, went out for the afternoon came home popped my scrub on and coated once more before bed.
I oiled the rest of the floor 2 days later

I first hoovered the floor,
I got down on my hands an knees and cleaned my floor with white spirit first. (just white spirit on a dishcloth)
I shook the can vigorously for a couple of mins
I opened the can and poured a little oil straight onto the floor in the area I was starting.
I took my cloth and wiped the oil into the floor following the length of the boards until all that oil was used up/ evenly distributed (i.e looked wet not pooled),
I repeated the process of oiling working backwards out of the area I was working. then left it for a minimum of four hours before I checked for stickiness started walking on it (light usage! Mainly stayed out of the room)

The can states to use a minimum of 3 coats. I have 3 coats under the appliances but, I have been using this oil as I did the danish oil for my worktops.

once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for 6month then twice yearly (i'd recommend late spring early autumn as the danish oil in winter can still be tacky well into the next day if the heating is not on). It takes me half hour to oil my kitchen floor and is as simple as washing your floor on your hands and knees, (which is now what I do in my kitchen).

(to wash my floor I use a cap full of pledge 5in1 wood cleaner and hot water in a bucket with an old dishcloth and an old terry tea-towel to dry as I go along)

Company Seal or Address Paper Embossing press machine for use with limited companies or letterheads
Offered by City Company Seals Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for personalising your library or longterm cost effective stationary, 8 Oct. 2013
I have a great regard for some old world etiquette and traditions, especially the simple beautiful old machinery that produces those little touches of luxury that make you smile. I love making things perfect, formal and individual. I like having little items of longevity and useful interest that mean nothing to others but add a little bit of personality to something that gives me endless amounts of pleasure.

Gone are the days when you can walk into a beautiful old fashioned library where the shelves are made from solid wood or a nostalgic bookstore that looks warm and inviting on a cold winters day. The closest we have to that in the many cities of Great Britain is Waterstones. With this little old-fashioned looking gadget I can create my own little bit of nostalgia.

This Machine is not as big as I expected (the plates are the size I expected), it creates a simple but deep elegant embossing with no effort and works brilliantly on the thick glossy pages of a cookbook. I initially bought this with the view of adding to the plates so I can personalise books for relatives making them a little more special, Sadly on this model you cannot do this but on the cheaper hand held devices you can buy separate plates. All in all: this to me is still worth the money I paid for it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2014 9:06 PM BST

Delia's Classic Christmas [DVD]
Delia's Classic Christmas [DVD]
Dvd ~ Delia Smith
Offered by becksdvds-co-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars As seen on Food network (exactly)2012 & sept 13, 20 Sept. 2013
This DVD is a charming festive 55min dvd with delia showing several recipes from her Merry Christmas book. It is not in depth so I would recommend you buy the book for accuracy if you plan to buy the dvd to make the recipes from it.

This is the program that was shown on Food network UK in December 2012 and again Sept 2013.
I vaguely remember the original bbc version of this, I do remember the bbc radio station playing in the background, and I seem to remember the series of episode lasting longer than this one, though I could be wrong.

all in all I do love stepping into Delias home, into her traditional cottage kitchen and gaining inspiration in watching her cook for christmas. I grew up watching Delia cooking on television, it was a family event so watching this now; I suppose this dvd to me brings back memories and a little nostalgia.

Making Friends Is An Art (Happy to Be, You and Me)
Making Friends Is An Art (Happy to Be, You and Me)
by Julia Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaches young children how to be a good friend., 19 Jun. 2013
Some children struggle to make friends, they feel left out, different, rejected and sad.

Author: Julia Cook (a former US teacher and school counsellor) teaches children that everyone is different, but can have the same assets and opportunities as everyone else if they change some small characteristics. This book is in story format but the bullet points that children need to learn about are in rhyme so it's easier for them to understand and remember.

Brown is a pencil who feels left out, feels unloved and in turn is a loner, bossy, rude at times, often frowns and struggles to smile, He doesn't feel he fits in with the other pencils and often looks in on the other pencils having fun from the outside, he sees good qualities in the others and that they are liked but he doesn't understand why the others don't play with him.
Brown soon realises in order to make friends he has to learn to smile, listen, accept and not dominate a game with his agenda or opinion. he starts to understand that things are not going to be exactly as he wants them to be all the time but realises that everyone feels the sad and lonely sometimes in their life, they just learn to deal with it in a different way.

The books from Julia cook are often aimed at young children and those with special educational needs. they are a good reference tool and are humorous to the child and often the adult.

The books my child owns and loves are:

Making friends is an art!
It's hard to be a Verb ( very Funny and aimed at children with ADHD)
My mouth is a volcano! ( for those little interrupters)
the worst day of my life Ever! ( about listening, understanding rules and following instructions)
I'm sorry I Forgot! ( Choices excuses and consequences) .

After buying these very humorous books I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the authors books as all morals are taught with humour and Rhyme, the aren't taught in a middle class english do as you are told way. My child loves to re-read these books and loves them read to him reiterating the messages behind the stories.

Sugar: Simple Sweets and Decadent Desserts
Sugar: Simple Sweets and Decadent Desserts
by Anna Olson

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection every time (cup measures of 250ml), 17 Jun. 2013
This book was created to follow the food network canada show: "Sugar".

Though I am almost certain a lot of the recipes from this book, it's sequel "another cup of sugar" and back to baking are currently airing on the UK food network of "bake with Anna Olson". If they are not exactly the same they are very similar. Unfortunately there aren't any of the bread recipes in these books.

Ultimately this book uses Volumetric measures. It's Measures are typically Cups and ml's so if you don't like measuring in cups and spoons this book as with all of Anna and Michael Olson's are probably not for you. Cups Being the Canadian/ Australian measures of 250 ml, British= 240ml and US 237ml. You do need to use the correct measures to get the best results so it may be worth buying a set of cups that are of the correct measures. English cups to american cups work because the volume is only 3ml different. but 10ml does make a difference whether or not it is noticeable to the individual is a different story, I suppose that all depends on your background with food.

I love Anna's relaxed style of baking, her introduction to a recipe and the switch ups that follow. These recipes seem to follow a more seasonal approach starting with: the more often than not overlooked fruits such as Rhubarb, heading through to vanilla and chocolates.

Anna's Rhubarb cream tart :
This recipe is akin to a rhubarb cheese cake, having the digestive base the sweet creamy cheesy centre and a beautifully sweet and sour rhubarb topping. (I grew up hating rhubarb. My Mother grows it and always cooked it for us in crumbles etc, I found it too mushy, sour and quite bitter sometimes) But Anna's recipe is actually devine. Anna shows you how to cook it in the oven, which stops the fruit turning to stringy mush, she cooks with wine (I use Casis) and the flavour is phenomenal (I have tried it with few liquors and wine all turned out wonderful). A real winner in my household of Anti- Rhubarb folk.
Switch up : Rhubarb cream tart with chocolate crust.
Strawberry rhubarb pie
Rasberry Cardamom cobbler, (delightful)
Raspberry cardamom cobbler with Chantilly cream raspberry sauce and maple toasted pecans.
Raspberry lemon tart
Blueberry Buckle
Blueberry cream cheesecake
Blueberry ricotta blintzes
One step cherry pie
Cherry tarts with sugared Almonds
black forest molten cake
Vanilla roasted apricots
Apricots with brown sugar shorbread
Apricot linzer torte
Blackberry frozen yoghurt
There are plenty more recipes involving Apples, Nectarines, Pinapple, orange, lemon, grapefruit etc, the recipes are all fantastically sweet some fruity, but all decadent and really moreish I love baking in season, for a start it's cheaper (especially when you grow some of it), love trying new things even playing with foods I grew up hating. Anna's books have given me new ideas such as adding wine or liquors to an already dry and bitter fruit such as Rhubarb (sounded weird to me, I suppose that's because I really didn't like the fruit) but now I will be growing it.

Another Cup of Sugar
Another Cup of Sugar
by Anna Olson

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing Canadian/ American deserts, 5 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Another Cup of Sugar (Paperback)
1st of all, if you have a disdain for baking using cups and spoon measures, this book and all created by this author is probably not for you.

If you do like baking using the cups and spoon measures:

Anna's recipes call for the Canadian/ Australian cup measures @ 250ml.
( The British Measures are 240ml and the American =237ml though asda were doing a set of red plastic cups (cup measure 250ml etc..for a couple of quid) All spoon measures are the same through out the English speaking world).

In another cup of sugar, Anna has categorised her recipes into colours (this is often the colour of the initial ingredients such as white= marshmallow (smores), rocky road truffle cake, Raspberry Meringue fools, NY cheese cake, dulche leche, mini tortes) Clear= Champagne (peach bellini floats) Yellow= Apple sauce (apple sauce coffee cake, crumbles, caramel apple galette, cornmeal muffins, chocolate nougat shortbread)) starting with a basic recipe then upgrades to another using that basic recipe (she does this upgrade thing with most of her books)

As with all the books I have by Anna Olson, the recipes just work. I have not had a problem/ nor a failure with any of the recipes within any of her books though you do need to know a few substitutes.

If you can find a copy of Anna's books at a reasonable price I highly recommend them.

Happy Baking

GINGERBREAD LOAF Cake Tin - Platinum Series - by Nordic Ware - for Bundt & other cakes, jelly etc.
Offered by BuecherDanny

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say, It's Nordic Ware!, 16 Mar. 2013
The Children bought me this beautiful little loaf pan for mothers day. So far I've made several gingerbread loaves that all turned out beautifully (not all for me, I can assure you. Grandparents and Parents enjoyed theirs very much too). Though wouldn't recommend you making the gingerbread recipe that comes with this pan (Though very delicious and unbelievably Moorish, you can feel your teeth disintegrate with every mouthful )

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4