Profile for Katy May > Reviews

Content by Katy May

Katy May (West Yorkshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The City's Son (Skyscraper Throne Book 1)
The City's Son (Skyscraper Throne Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmm., 10 Sept. 2014
This was ....ok. I couldn't really engage with it (despite a good opening chapter) but equally, I couldn't see why I was struggling. The storyline was interesting, although it felt very familiar, the writing was ok and the characters were alright, although they did feel rather flat. In fact, I found the whole story rather flat and unengaging. Ultimately, this felt like a YA novel which drew heavily on Charlie Fletcher, Neil Gaiman and China Meiville without replicating some of the factors which make their writing som much more alive.

NEW IPHONE 4S/4GS GENUINE LEATHER POCKET CASE / POUCH / COVER BY SHOCKSOCK
NEW IPHONE 4S/4GS GENUINE LEATHER POCKET CASE / POUCH / COVER BY SHOCKSOCK

4.0 out of 5 stars A absolute bargain for the price, 25 Dec. 2013
Perfect for what I needed and feels good quality. I was slightly disappointed that the case scuffs very easily but even so I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

An Apple for the Creature (Kate Daniels)
An Apple for the Creature (Kate Daniels)

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good stories, some very poor, 11 Nov. 2013
Like other reviewers I bought this anthology for the Ilona Andrews story which I enjoyed. Other stand out stories were Sympathy for the Bones and Iphigenia in Aulis, both beautifully written. The other stories ranged along a scale from 'enjoyable' (Golden Delicious for example) to 'how did this ever get published?' (Callie meet Happy). I'm glad I didn't pay full price for this book.

Angels' Blood: The Guild Hunter Series
Angels' Blood: The Guild Hunter Series

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting premise but too much romance for me, 2 Nov. 2013
I haven't read any of the author's books before but I've picked up from the other reviews that her books are primarily romance set in a fantasy world. Probably I should have checked more carefully before buying this as I was expecting a fantasy book and was bored and disappointed by the amount of sex scenes, which I felt were included at the expense of the plot. Having said that, the book was well written and the characters well drawn. It's an interesting world, although I did find it annoying that all of the characters appeared to be stunningly beautiful. I won't be reading any more of this author but that's down to personal preference rather than poor plotting or writing.

Sleight of Hand: An Amber Farrell novel (Bite Back Book 1)
Sleight of Hand: An Amber Farrell novel (Bite Back Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Was ok, 26 Sept. 2013
I didn't not enjoy this, the story was packed full of new developments at every turn, back story was liberally dished out, there were scientific explanations for vampirism etc etc. However, when I put the book down there was nothing making me keen to pick it back up again. A couple of times I turned on the Kindle and was surprised to find I was half way through it as I'd forgotten I was reading it. A couple of gripes, the characterisation of the female characters wasn't awful but it wasn't good either, something seemed off. The lesbian sex overtones seemed unnecessary for the main character and there was just too much being thrown into the story, vampires, werewolves, witches, shamen, spirit guides, dead sisters, etc etc.

Magic Rises (Kate Daniels Book 6)
Magic Rises (Kate Daniels Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 16 Aug. 2013
Like others, I've been waiting for this book for ages and I must admit to some fears that the authors wouldn't be able to keep up the standard set by the previous books. I needn't have worried, this is a great book and every bit as good as the others. Taking the characters out of Atlanta and away from their usual support mechanisms was a good move although more use could have been made of the characters who went along with them. I really can't wait for the next one.

Princeps: The Fifth Book of the Imager Portfolio
Princeps: The Fifth Book of the Imager Portfolio

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing, 8 Aug. 2013
I love Modesitt's books and was looking forward to this one. However, I felt it was rushed and rather formulaic, the moral quandaries were less interesting than usual and the characters less compelling. A shame

Clovenhoof
Clovenhoof

4.0 out of 5 stars This is good!, 8 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Clovenhoof (Kindle Edition)
I've been very disappointed in some of the so called humorous books I've bought for my kindle but this was a delight. Entertaining, witty, well plotted and with a few laugh out loud moments, I really enjoyed it.

The Afternet
The Afternet

2.0 out of 5 stars Gave it 20% but couldn't read any further, 13 May 2013
This review is from: The Afternet (Kindle Edition)
As the title says, I made myself read to 20% but then decided it was not for me. It's not badly written but someone needs to go through and check the apostrophes - several random ones seem to found their way in to the book. The author seemed to be trying too hard for the book to be funny, instead it was a bit dull and rather tedious. A shame as the concept sounded really good.

Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville 1)
Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville 1)
by Carrie Vaughn

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, got better as the book went on, 7 April 2013
I read the first half of this book and found myself a little bored by it, Kitty is a reasonable character and some of the dynamics between the pack members were interesting but nothing much seemed to happen. I read the rest of the book a few days later and it picked up (for me, at least) about two thirds of the way through. However, I didn't feel the plot was strong enough to support the whole book, it felt very light with characters who weren't really fully drawn. Having said that, I can see that other reviews say the books get better as they go on, and I might buy the next one in the series as it was entertaining enough.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7