Profile for J. Vaughan > Reviews

Content by J. Vaughan

J. Vaughan (Worthing, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Transport and Industrial Heritage: Cornwall (Transport & Industrial Heritage)
Transport and Industrial Heritage: Cornwall (Transport & Industrial Heritage)
by John Vaughan

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value, 4 Mar. 2016
Excellent value, unbelievable price! Prompt delivery.

Advantage 400 Spot-On Solution for Dogs (25 - 40kg)
Advantage 400 Spot-On Solution for Dogs (25 - 40kg)
Offered by Black Cat Medicines

4.0 out of 5 stars No scratching here., 29 Oct. 2014
It is hard to judge this one but we have not seen any fleas!

High Capacity - Rechargeable Battery for Nikon COOLPIX P500, P510, P520, P530, P100, P90, P6000, P80, P5000 and P5100 Digital Camera - AAA Products - 12 Month Warranty
Offered by MACRO.SUPPLIER

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good., 4 Oct. 2014
All appears to be well, although the review request was sent to me too early for a reliable assessment of longevity to be made.

3x Nikon COOLPIX P520 Digital Camera Premium Clear LCD Screen Protector Cover Guard Shield Film Kits, Exact fit, NO CUTTING (3 pieces by GUARMOR)
Offered by Gadgetarmour & Accessories

4.0 out of 5 stars AOK, 4 Oct. 2014
Fit for purpose. Instructions understood. Could not believe they came all the way from California. Not much else to say.

Canon CL41 Colour Ink Cartridge
Canon CL41 Colour Ink Cartridge

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked well giving satisfactory colours and good customer service in terms of delivery etc, 23 July 2014
Worked well giving satisfactory colours and good customer service in terms of delivery etc. However all of these cartridges are ridiculously overpriced for a bit of ink in a piece of plastic. It is well known that this entire 'industry' is ripping-off the public in cost per ounce/gramme of ink. They almost give the printers away because the pot of gold lies in ink supply.

6 x Clear Screen Protectors for Nikon D5100 Digital SLR - Anti-Scratch LCD Guards / Display Savers
Offered by Membrane Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, prompt delivery, 23 July 2014
Good product, prompt delivery, not flimsy, excellent fit - but hard to keep air bubbles out in the slightly longer term.

Sandisk 8GB Ultra SDHC Memory Card For Nikon Coolpix P510 Camera
Sandisk 8GB Ultra SDHC Memory Card For Nikon Coolpix P510 Camera
Offered by B3Digital

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazon have now asked me twice to review this item ..., 23 July 2014
Amazon have now asked me twice to review this item. It was purchased as a spare card and other than for taking just a couple of photographs with it to make sure it worked I have not in any comprehensive way tested it! The price was competitive and it arrived within a few days of ordering. All I can do in the circumstances is award a provisional 4 stars. Sorry.

Invero HIGH QUALITY Travel Mains Charger AC Adaptor with Car Charger for Nikon Coolpix P500

5.0 out of 5 stars DOES THE JOB - PER THE TIN, 7 Jun. 2012
This is a universal charger that comes with additional equipment that is compatible with your particular type of camera/battery. Reasonably well built, charging light and certainly fit for purpose. To that extent recommended. Not much else to say on this one.

Nikon COOLPIX P510 Compact Digital Camera - Red (16.1MP, 42x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRULY REMARKABLE CAMERA HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, 7 Jun. 2012
As a FINAL addendum to this review I have added this 'postscript' on 23 February 2013. During the past 9 months I have now taken over 10,000 frames on my P510 completely trouble free. The camera has done everything asked of it and I am as enthusiastic as ever about the camera, which can now be acquired from about £240. This must be the bargain of the century! In typical modern marketing mode Nikon have now produced a 'P520' but other than cramming another 2 megapixels out of the chip and adding one fifth of one inch to the viewing screen there is very little in the new specification worthy of note and of course you will pay circa £400 for the privilege. To summarise, yes battery life could be a little better and focussing on moving objects a little quicker (a problem removed by pre-focussing and keeping the shutter button part depressed) but the very long list of 'plus' points FAR outweigh any shortcomings. This a remarkable machine and I have been so impressed I have completed on-line half a dozen books on both Photobox and Blurb systems, including one commercial ISBN production. Go for it!

I am not allowed a second review but as a follow-up to my review of three months ago I can say that this sensational camera has completely re-vitalised my photography. It is easy to run out of adjectives but one moment I am photographing a pin point sharp bee on a flower, the next moment a wonderful landscape and the next an express train passing the local station. I cannot stop taking pictures. I am like a 16 year old with a new toy rather than a 70 year old pensioner. I am absolutely thrilled by the product, I now know how to 'drive' it and all I can do is repeat, on 5 september 2012, my early June 'highly recommended' opinion. It is a great all-in-one package. Go for it!

I have been taking photographs for 60 years, 50 of them with quality cameras. These range from old British Kershaw roll film cameras and a twin lens Reflex Rolleiflex to a SLR Pracktica with Pentax lenses, M3 Leica, 6x7 Pentaxes and various 35mm Nikon SLRs with prime Nikkor lenses. In digital terms I confess to only having, until now, a Sony point and shoot with a 5x zoom lens.

I can say categorically without brand favour that this is the most remarkable piece of camera equipment I have ever owned. It takes much to impress me but in modern 'lingo' terms I have been "knocked out" by it staggering performance. After years of black cameras I chose the maroon version and very attractive it is too. The build quality is excellent with the single exception of the plastic cable port cover. Everybody raves about the single integral lens with total justification. It is hard to believe that the range (in 35mm film terms) is 24mm to 1000mm. You can barely see some objects which become full frame with the lens extended. The lens is great fun, very intrusive (if you choose), reasonably fast (f5.9 at 1000mm) but it is the range that impresses - and although not a gadget man, why be second best with only 800mm available! It focuses down to something like a centimeter and I have a lovely sharp picture of a snail. For bird life it is unsurpassed as an 'all in one' unit. By contrast I have taken express trains at a fast shutter priority setting and, except for the tiniest shutter lag (much less than the point and shoot cameras but a nano-second longer than an SLR), the result was excellent and was published the following day in an on-line magazine!

The operation is smooth, the shape and camera grip perfect, the menus are clear even to a 'film' man, there are two zoom controls and more settings than you can possibly imagine. A minor gripe is that the main instructions are on CD with a limited handbook. The GPS does not interest me but it has it, and I can never imaginge taking a movie but it does this in full 1080HD. The viewing screen is ultra high quality and very bright but purchase quality screen protectors. The screen is also adjustable. By contrast the eye level viewfinder works but is of poor quality with a 'grainy' feel. But quite remarkably it has a dioptre adjuster for those with less that 20/20 vision, most useful. The flash is well hidden and of the 'pop-up' type and works very well at all distance, except beyond ultimate range.

The focussing is spot on but as others have said it takes a moment to 'hunt' before settling at long focal lengths but then they all do. This is quickly cured by just a touch on the shutter button. The focussing areas shown on the screen are a great help and I do not think too many pixels have been crammed onto their new censor/chip, which has a new specification, because the definition looks to my trained eye to be excellent. This is not a DSLR - BUT - I have 6 lenses on my film cameras to extend from 28mm to 300mm and you would probably need three good zooms with a DSLR to cover the range, at huge cost and weight. The P510 is also light without feeling flimsy. The camera is good looking and you feel like you have just joined the press corps. Battery life is probably not the best but it is not just the number of shots it takes on one charge, it is how much you play with the zoom and by golly do you play with this one! Buy a spare battery and charger - less than £20 if you shop right.

Overall, an absolutely remarkable if not sensational camera that I highly recommend and you do not need a second mortgage to buy it. I just feel so sad for all those camera bodies and lenses that have now entrered their semi-retirement without a pension plan!!
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2013 4:59 PM GMT

Bradshaw's Handbook
Bradshaw's Handbook
by George Bradshaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Amazing, 29 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Bradshaw's Handbook (Hardcover)
I have been 'in and around' books for 60 years and I must say that this superb product combined with the truly amazing Amazon deal is a milestone in publishing. How do they do it? £5 including postage, I am flabbergasted. I have Bradshaws timetables back to 1861 and they are remarkable but for this 'in demand' Bradshaw Handbook, which in original form has escalated in cost to hundreds of pounds,the chance of ownership for the price of a pint must be the best deal ever. Well reproduced and nicely bound this book is a gem with truly remarkable old fashioned and much lamented English from 1863. I can do nothing else but highly recommend this product - I have had so much enjoyment from it already. GO FOR IT!

Page: 1 | 2