Profile for BridgetFM > Reviews

Content by BridgetFM

BridgetFM (Birmingham, W Mids United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Birkenstock Salina, Women's Sandals, White, 6 UK (39 EU)
Birkenstock Salina, Women's Sandals, White, 6 UK (39 EU)

3.0 out of 5 stars Flat feet!, 17 Aug. 2014
I looked with envy at my friend's Bitkenstocks, bought through Amazon. Sadly the pair I ordered were too wide and too inflexible for my flat, narrow feet. They are well made and solid but not for me.

My Dear I Wanted to Tell You
My Dear I Wanted to Tell You

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book, 29 Nov. 2013
This was a mixed read for me. Clearly a lot of research had gone into the war and, more specifically, the physical and psychological effects of facial injury. I found the characterisation less involving and, at times, tending to lean towards stereotyping. My particular bugbear In WW1 novels..was Lyons Corner House the only place where people met?

Cool Runnings [DVD] [1994]
Cool Runnings [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ John Candy

5.0 out of 5 stars A cool classic, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Cool Runnings [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
Difficult to believe this film is nearly 10 years old. It stands the test of time. I gave it to my very cool 16 year old grandson who loved it.

Flanagan's Run (Classic Fiction) (Popular Fiction)
Flanagan's Run (Classic Fiction) (Popular Fiction)
by Tom McNab
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars What could be better, 19 May 2013
A ripping yarn beautifully read with a fascinating cast of characters. Loved it so much I have bought more copies as presents.

Breakdown: V.I. Warshawski 15 (The V.I. Warshawski Series)
Breakdown: V.I. Warshawski 15 (The V.I. Warshawski Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Contemporary, 19 May 2013
Paretsky s writing is becoming sharper and more reflective of Americam society today as time goes on. Not only does she tell a thrilling story but she captures the moment.

Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood Shave Soap in Wooden Bowl 100g
Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood Shave Soap in Wooden Bowl 100g
Offered by Apotheker Stefan Bauer & Compagnie

5.0 out of 5 stars Success!, 22 April 2013
Bought for so and approved by daughter in law. Delicious smell, lots of foam and a great success all round.

Skios
Skios

3.0 out of 5 stars Undecided, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Skios (Kindle Edition)
Read this for our book group and think it is well written and intelligent but not my cup of tea.

To be a Merchant Prince
To be a Merchant Prince
by Judith Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars Intrigue and history, 22 Sept. 2010
Set at the start of the seventh crusade in 1248 this novel of intrigue, war and love is full of fascinating historical interest, detailed information about Pietrasantan merchant fleets, trading practices, family, ambition, travel and conflict. Judith Williams does not flinch from describing the horror and brutality of the crusades while, at the same time, drawing the reader in to the humanity of the main and subsidiary characters. The relationship between Donato, son of the merchant prince, Matteo de' Seresini and Gianni, illegitimate son of Cardinal Gregorio de' Seresini is delicately drawn. The burgeoning romance between Donato and Chiara fulfills all the requirements of a historical novel. The various spies and agents, King Louis and Queen Margaret are well drawn. My favourite character of all, is Patrizio eldest of the Cardinal's illegimate sons and Commander of the Eastern Fleet. What a splendid villain.

My historical geographical ignorance sometimes made it difficult to follow the fleet from Pietrasanta to Cyprus to Antioch to Egypt and Syria but I think this is to quibble because the colourful descriptions of the food, domestic and battle settings lead the reader into the story with a satisfying immediacy. I would have liked a map to go with the excellent list of dramatis personae.

I hope this is the start of a series set in the crusades. I would like to follow the characters and learn more about their times and adventures.

The Crossing Places: Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 1
The Crossing Places: Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 1
by Elly Griffiths

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric Norfolk, 4 April 2010
This is an archaeological thriller set in the salt marshes of Norfolk. Full of bones, iron age jewellery, human sacrifice, magic, science and modern detection methods, this book is a real page turner. The descriptions of the North Sea and the weather add to the menacing atmosphere and the archaeologist, Ruth, and policeman, Nelson, make a great team along with the other eccentric characters who inhabit the landscape and contribute their knowledge and expertise to solving the murder case. The plotting was a bit clumsy but Elly Griffiths is such a good writer that I think she will resolve this and I look forward to reading more of her novels.

Serving Crazy With Curry
Serving Crazy With Curry
by Amulya Malladi

5.0 out of 5 stars Fusion cooking, 13 Jan. 2010
After an unsuccessful suicide attempt, Devi, is taken to her parents' home in the Bay Area of San Francisco. She elects to become mute, refusing to talk even to her much loved grandmother, Vasu, who is in the US on an extended visit from India. Her psychologist suggests that, instead of talking, she keep a journal. Back home, Devi, discovers a barely used notebook in which her mother, Saroj, has copied just one recipe. Devi takes over the kitchen and the notebook and starts cooking, first of all banning her mother and then, as she starts recovering, allowing her to help. Amulya Malladi uses the new recipes devised by Devi, fusing Indian and American ingredients, as the theme of her re-integration into the family and the combination of Indian tradition and American innovation. The resulting journal of recipes and revelation becomes the instrument of healing. There are as many elements to this novel as there are to Devi's, very successful, concoctions. I loved the basic idea and, of course, the recipes. Most of all, I loved Vasu, Devi's radical and shocking grandmother.

Page: 1 | 2