Profile for Avis Read > Reviews

Content by Avis Read

Avis Read "AnnaBaker" (Scotland)

The Raiders: Being Some Passages In The Life Of John Faa, Lord And Earl Of Little Egypt: Being Some Passages In The Life Of John Faa, Lord And Earl Of Little Egypt (Canongate Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Treasure island, 26 Jan 2014
For all Gallovidians this is a must read. An exciting tale that it is impossible to put down and situated in many places of which you will have heard or visited. Crockett paints a picture of the shores and hills of Galloway while telling a tale of local families, smugglers, gypsies. How I wish this had been required reading while I was at school in Dumfries & Galloway. For non-Gallovidians there is a full glossary at the back, please don't let the small amount of local dialect put you off reading this thrilling tale!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2014 6:35 PM GMT

Malarky
Malarky
by Anakana Schofield

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Malarky (Paperback)
I bought this after reading reviews in newspapers and magazines but was very disappointed with it. The main character jumped from writing in the first person and third person, I found the whole thing disjointed and wasn't able to relate to any of the characters.

Blinded by the Bling??: The Truth About the Trump Organisations Plans to Desecrate an Almost Sacred Part of Scotland
by David Milne

4.0 out of 5 stars Would benefit from an update, 20 Jun 2013
I saw this book recommended on the Tripping up Trump page on Facebook and bought it as I am very sympathetic to their cause. The book is as fair and impartial as David Milne intended it to be and the facts were clearly laid out. However, in view of the happenings between 2008 and the present I would very much appreciate an updated version from Mr Milne and would be happy to buy another copy with a report of how the Menie residents are coping now with the golf course open, the bunds built round their properties, the massive supermarket style car park, electricity sub station etc etc, and the reception Mr Milne was given on his speech to the Scottish Parliament, lots more to come out and no need to be impartial any more Mr Milne, tell it like it is. Ps Would respectfully suggest you get a better proof reader next time.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
by Rachel Joyce

5.0 out of 5 stars A most enjoyable read, 23 Oct 2012
This was the most enjoyable book I haved read in a long time. Harold Fry is a recognisable character, probably like the great majority of retired men with little to do but micro manage their small garden and get under their wifes feet. His wife, Maureen has little patience with him and there is no real communication between the two. His journey opens both their eyes to what is important in life.
Not wishing to give any of the plot away I would simply recommend this as an excellent read - I will certainly read my copy again.

The Accident
The Accident
by Linwood Barclay

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Accident (Hardcover)
I am a great fan of Linwood Barclay and have enjoyed all his previous books which keep the reader guessing. The Accident was a good read but less exciting than all the rest and a more predictable plot.

Never Look Away
Never Look Away
by Linwood Barclay

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Linwood Barclay yet, 20 Dec 2010
This review is from: Never Look Away (Hardcover)
I love the way Linwood Barclay keeps the story moving forward and making his books hard to put down. As ever the build up of tension is expertly done and it doesn't matter if the ending is a bit silly!

Toast: The Story of a Boy's Hunger
Toast: The Story of a Boy's Hunger
by Nigel Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Jun 2010
I love Nigel Slater recipes and bought this book hoping to find how they had evolved. This was a book I couldn't put down and yet I am disappointed it has all been read and hope there is more to read about the next part of his life. His story is both funny and sad but with no self pity and his descriptions of both his family meals and restaurant and hotel food are so recognisable. What a class act Nigel, this book is just brilliant.

Real Fast Food
Real Fast Food
by Nigel Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars My best recipe book, 2 Jun 2010
This review is from: Real Fast Food (Paperback)
I adore this book, it suits my style of cooking perfectly as I can improvise with the ingredients I have in my fridge/store cupboard. I decided to buy his cookery books after watching Nigel's TV show where he prepared delicious, nutritious meals qu ickly and without fuss. It would have been nice to have some photographs in the book but |I have already got used to making my selection by the main ingredient heading rather than a tempting picture. Highly recommended, everyone should have a copy of this book.

Under This Unbroken Sky
Under This Unbroken Sky
by Shandi Mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated, 18 April 2010
I bought this book expecting to learn something about life on the prairies of Canada but it could have been set in any country with cold, hard winters. I had to force myself to read it to the end as it was so dull and boring, much overrated in my opinion.

Good Food: The Ultimate Recipe Book
Good Food: The Ultimate Recipe Book
by Angela Nilsen

5.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this book to all my friends, 17 May 2008
I saw a recipe from this book in my Saturday newspaper magazine and gave it a go....brilliant! so I ordered the book and since then have tried most of the recipes which are so good and easy to follow. I have passed on lots of the recipes to friends who have enjoyed my cooking/baking and told them to buy the book for themselves. I'm certain no one will be sorry they bought this book and I speak as someone who has loads of cookery books, some of which turned out to be a big disappointment.