Profile for Satchmo > Reviews

Far As I Can See
Far As I Can See
Price: 10.21

5.0 out of 5 stars He's outdone himself this time, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Far As I Can See (Audio CD)
This album really is a master class in how to keep modern blues fresh and relevant. Matt's playing and tone are truly excellent and he is happy to move outside outside the standard blues conventions in his writing without losing the roots of it all. I love the way his songs will not always take the predictable next chord but be inventive and move off on a tangent that just takes then to another level.
There is some really excellent song writing going on here.

I started listening to a streamed version and was transfixed and immediately purchased the album I was so buzzing at the end of it.
The last track 'Red Dragon' is just a monster.

I'm typing this as I listen and am just blown away by his phrasing and Matt's singing really shines here too.
The whole band just 'gel' on the cut and the horn section is truly kicking.

For me it's his best album yet and essential listening to anyone with an ear for the blues...and for all others too.

Thanks Matt, you made my day and put the biggest smile on my face I've had for weeks!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2014 5:25 PM GMT

The Stone Electric
The Stone Electric
Price: 8.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awesome, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Stone Electric (Audio CD)
What an absolutley amazing band. Superb vocals from Noni Crow (think Maggie Bell meets Steve Marriot) and the thickest soupiest monstrous guitar tones from her brother Austyn hit you between the eyes like a crossbow-bolt and pin your head to the wall until you've listened to the final track.

A superb rhythm section underpins what is without a doubt what is one of the best 'rock and roll' albums I've ever heard. Easily up with the very, very best of the Black Crowes. Truly ballsy rock and blues for lovers of bands like Humble Pie, the Faces etc.

Utterly brilliant!

Charade [1963] [DVD]
Charade [1963] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cary Grant
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd
Price: 10.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the Slam Dunk release!, 26 Dec 2011
This review is from: Charade [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
A Great film, but the version advertised is by Slam Dunk Media and has a 4:3 letterbox aspect ratio. The print quality (or digital transfer) is poor with compression artefacts resulting in a grainy and unfocused finish.

Frankly it looks a mess on my 32" Sony Bravia TV so I recommend avoiding this particular release and instead keep your eye out for the true widescreen, digitally remastered version of the film (which I believe is included in the the region 1 release of 2003 film "The Truth About Charlie")

Buffalo Ministation 1TB Portable Shock Resistant USB 2.0 Hard Drive with Data Encryption

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid if media player usage is your primary goal, 16 Aug 2011
Sadly this drive was not compatible with the USB input on my TV or with my Xenta HD L100V Media Player. I've never encountered any issues with any other USB devices before. It appears that there is a hidden partition on the drive that emulates a read-only optical drive and this is what is causing the problem :o(

This partition CANNOT BE REMOVED by any means known to man. I have tried the HP USB Disk utility to no avail..it cannot see the emulated partition at all. I have trawled the internet and the Buffalo support forums and no solution has presented itself. In fact it appears the Buffalo are fully aware of this and not bothered by it.

At no point in their website spiel or user manual does it report the issue...so be warned.

If you are looking for a drive purely for data archiving or portability then it looks well made...but media streaming folks should avoid it!

I've returned mine :o(

Collins Gem Korean Dictionary (Collins Gem)
Collins Gem Korean Dictionary (Collins Gem)
by Collins Dictionaries
Price: 4.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource but painfully small, 25 Jan 2011
An excellent dictionary but as some other reviewers have mentioned the typecase is very very small. I expected small print but did not realise how difficult it would make it to read the Hangul, especially the black-fonted Hangul examples (as opposed to the blue-fonted Hangul definitions). So be warned you may need a magnifying glass!

The Earth 540 Piece Puzzleball
The Earth 540 Piece Puzzleball
Price: 19.22

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but has its flaws, 25 Jan 2011
This is generally a good puzzle and the fact that all the parts are numbered helps when working on areas of blue sea. My only complaints are that there are NO written instructions included at all (apart from a visual guide for the stand), and although most jigsaw puzzles do not need instructions, in this instance some guidance would have been helpful on issues such as how to insert the final north-pole piece (which in my case was extremely tight) without damaging the existing puzzle-build. (never did solve this)

And..I thought the stand was very poorly designed and (in my instance) was not correctly sized..being too large to hold
the finished globe.. An attempt to bend the wires to correct this resulted in the stand breaking :o(

So ..a fun but flawed product.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars All solid wood excellence, 31 Dec 2010
If you are in the market for an affordable all solid-wood steel strung acoustic guitar then I doubt that you are going to find a finer instrument than the Walden G2070.

I have been playing guitar for over 30 years and have gravitated toward acoustic in the past ten.

I purchased the Walden after spending a lot of time trying out other instruments by Faith, Takamine, Simon & Patrick, Taylor etc and I can say confidently that the Walden was by far the best instrument at its price-point.

The all solid wood construction with mahogany sides and cedar top is excellent. The bracing is 'pre-war' i.e. slightly forward of the bridge, and this gives the instrument a wonderful warm-rich tone, great for finger-pickers. The projection is excellent, my only small criticism would be the lightness in bass of the instrument when playing the bottom E string, this probably being an issue with any grand-auditorium bodied instrument.

The neck is truly excellent, very slim ,perhaps too slim for some seasoned acoustic players, but as I am originally an electric guitar player, I appreciate this feature. The slim neck is strengthened with two carbon-fibre strips and these add excellent stability.. I have not seen any movement in the two years I have owned the guitar.

I keep promising myself that I am going buy myself a 'real' 'named' solid wood acoustic such as a Taylor or Baden but every time I pick up the Walden I am blown away by its richness of tone and sheer playability.

The G2070 also come with an excellent hard case included in the price.

The Jackson Sessions
The Jackson Sessions
Offered by partmeter
Price: 5.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A great new 'real' talent, 29 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Jackson Sessions (Audio CD)
I'd never heard of Lauren Pritchard until the other day I saw an advert for her new album 'Wasted in Jackson' on Spotify. I thought 'oh look, she has a -real- name and has her clothes on...(something of a rarity for aspiring female performers nowadays) perhaps she has -real- talent..perhaps she's worth checking out! Goodness me...I'm glad I did, this young lady has a rare talent that has shades of Bonnie Raitt, Nora Jones and even Roberta Flack. Thankfully she seems to be blessed with similar influences to these great ladies.

I pre-ordered her album on the strength of this EP. My only fear is seeing such a potentially great artist being 'molded' by her record company, a good example of this being the 'shux' remix of Painkillers which adds some truly appalling 'rap' thus vandalising such an intelligent song..what on earth were 'they' thinking of, similar to the dancing that she is obviously being 'forced' to do in her recent videos <sigh>.

To her recording company: Listen guys..what you have here is a precious talent, please, please respect that and don't force her down the 'booty' route, give her room to breath and develop her own style and delivery...it will be your loss if you don't.

To you real-music lovers out there: Buy her new album, invest some time in listening to one of the best new singer songwriters to hit the scene in a long long time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2012 4:29 AM BST

Five Centimetres Per Second [DVD] [2007]
Five Centimetres Per Second [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Kenji Mizuhashi
Price: 7.51

5.0 out of 5 stars The pinnacle of the art of anime?, 1 Aug 2010
Makoto Shinai's "Five Centimetres Per Second" is arguably the finest example of the art of hand-drawn anime.

This intensely introspective film is a masterclass in its palette of colour and light reflecting the gentle narrative of longing and unrequited young love.

Every frame is lavishly drawn and no attention is spared in producing the most graphically beautiful anime that I personally have ever seen. The empty classroom scene, alone,where fluorescent lights flicker on, reflecting in the polished desktops, is truly a superb piece of animation. Make no mistake, this film looks absolutely stunning.

The art for the film has been published in the book "The Sky For The Longing Of Memories" and should be an essential reference/benchmark for all budding anime artists.

The content is purposefully slow and intimate(rather like Isao Takahata's Only Yesterday) consisting of three stories focusing on the relationships, over time, of three main characters. It has a wonderful dreamlike quality which is only marginally spoilt by what appears to be a sudden hasty ending, however don't let this put you off experiencing this exquisite film.

Catch Us If You Can [DVD] [1965]
Catch Us If You Can [DVD] [1965]
Dvd ~ The Dave Clark Five
Price: 13.23

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable romp but spoilt by bad sound quality, 21 May 2010
One of my favourite British films of the 1960s.

I especially love the "driving around London in a e-type Jag" scene near the beginning of the film, truly classic stuff. The film seems slower that I remember from my childhood, certainly when compared with Richard Lester's Hard Day's Night, however it is great to see Dave and the guys again after all these years, even poignant seeing Mike Smith so alive and well.

Unfortunately this version (or my DVD) is spoilt by a soundtrack that is heavy in sibilance distortion. The effect is most noticeable on the actors dialog and not so much the music (thankfully).

I've tried the DVD on several players all with the same result. Of course it could be that the original sound source
was poor and this was the best that could be recovered, but it does become annoying after a while.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4