Profile for Satchmo > Reviews

Content by Satchmo

Satchmo "Satchmo" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Anker® USB 3.0 Dual Display Docking Station with DVI/HDMI of up to 2048 x 1152, Audio, Gigabit Ethernet, and 6 USB ports (2 USB 3.0 + 4 USB 2.0) for Windows (19V / 2A Power Adapter included)
Offered by AnkerDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and works fairly well with USB MIDI controllers., 21 Dec. 2015
Much better quality than I though it would be with a nice solid cast metal base which means it won't tip even when stuffed with leads. I'm using it with a recording set-up half of my midi controllers work fine through the USB 3 ports.. which is a first in my experience. The video quality is excellent and is fast enough for real-time monitoring of musical frequencies. There is obviously a CPU hit which means you have to be careful how many plugins you can view... I'm running a Fujitsu Lifebook screen + 1080p HD monitor and then into another 1680x1240 monitor using the Anker's DV output and the picture is really crisp. I'm very happy with the device.. could do with a power switch though.

What works through the USB - Mice, Memory sticks, M-Audio 49 Midi Keyboard, Presonus Fader Port.
What doesn't: Presonus USB Audio box, Korg padKontrol.

A good piece of kit.

1 [Limited Edition]
1 [Limited Edition]
Offered by Amore DVD

3.0 out of 5 stars It's pretty good., 13 Nov. 2015
This review is from: 1 [Limited Edition] (Audio CD)
It's pretty good... but not a bargain. The colour restored footage is great and its there are some nice out-takes like the famous fish & chip moment of 'I Feel Fine'. The DVD titles look cheaply done and there are some of the included videos, that were made long after they has disbanded, are a bit naff.

Gorilla Universal Guitar Effect Pedal Board Organizer Mount Stand Holder Base
Gorilla Universal Guitar Effect Pedal Board Organizer Mount Stand Holder Base

4.0 out of 5 stars You would have to pay a wad load more money to get anything better., 13 Nov. 2015
It's a bit rough around the edges and I had to use my tap and die kit to clean up the threads on the screw-in legs as they would not screw into the holes on the stand. However for the money and the fact that it includes free delivery... and I got it the next day, it's a real bargain.
You would have to pay a wad load more money to get anything better.

Old Glory and the wild revival
Old Glory and the wild revival

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly, Truly Exceptional, 17 May 2015
Holy mother of everything that is blues rock, this album truly delivers on every front. Jared James Nichols is that rarest of gems, an authentic musician and singer who lives what he plays, a force of nature no less.
I've been listening to so many artists and bands trying to find the sort of blues-rock that Nichols delivers. Shamefully I only found out about him due to an Amazon recommendation..but thank goodness I did.
This debut album is jaw dropping, exciting and an absolute master-class on how to deliver wall-punching blues.
It pours through his veins and into his soul and the end result is a searing landscape of thick soaring guitar chops and superb vocals.. yes this lad can really, really sing. It can only help his cause that the other members of his band, Erik Sandin on bass and Dennis Holm on drums seem to have a telepathic link to each other that tightly push and syncopate the songs where needed.

My absolute album of the year and utterly essential listening.

The boy done REAL good!

Behringer DI20 Ultra-DI 2 Channel DI Box/Splitter
Behringer DI20 Ultra-DI 2 Channel DI Box/Splitter

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value but a bit noisy., 5 Jan. 2015
A useful and good value DI box, but I found it to be noisier that I would have liked. Good for live work, but not much use if looking to use to pad a Hi-Z input on a USB DAW interface.

Silverline 282513 Work Apron Adjustable
Silverline 282513 Work Apron Adjustable

1.0 out of 5 stars Tiny tiny tiny, 3 Sept. 2014
Waaay to small. Fine if you're a child or a small whippet, Could use it as a bib and that's about it.
Can't imagine anyone being able to use this in a workshop.

Far As I Can See
Far As I Can See

5.0 out of 5 stars He's outdone himself this time, 19 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Far As I Can See (Audio CD)
This album really is a master class in how to keep modern blues fresh and relevant. Matt's playing and tone are truly excellent and he is happy to move outside outside the standard blues conventions in his writing without losing the roots of it all. I love the way his songs will not always take the predictable next chord but be inventive and move off on a tangent that just takes then to another level.
There is some really excellent song writing going on here.

I started listening to a streamed version and was transfixed and immediately purchased the album I was so buzzing at the end of it.
The last track 'Red Dragon' is just a monster.

I'm typing this as I listen and am just blown away by his phrasing and Matt's singing really shines here too.
The whole band just 'gel' on the cut and the horn section is truly kicking.

For me it's his best album yet and essential listening to anyone with an ear for the blues...and for all others too.

Thanks Matt, you made my day and put the biggest smile on my face I've had for weeks!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2014 5:25 PM GMT

The Stone Electric
The Stone Electric

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awesome, 12 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Stone Electric (Audio CD)
What an absolutley amazing band. Superb vocals from Noni Crow (think Maggie Bell meets Steve Marriot) and the thickest soupiest monstrous guitar tones from her brother Austyn hit you between the eyes like a crossbow-bolt and pin your head to the wall until you've listened to the final track.

A superb rhythm section underpins what is without a doubt what is one of the best 'rock and roll' albums I've ever heard. Easily up with the very, very best of the Black Crowes. Truly ballsy rock and blues for lovers of bands like Humble Pie, the Faces etc.

Utterly brilliant!

Charade [1963] [DVD]
Charade [1963] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cary Grant
Offered by FREETIME

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the Slam Dunk release!, 26 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Charade [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
A Great film, but the version advertised is by Slam Dunk Media and has a 4:3 letterbox aspect ratio. The print quality (or digital transfer) is poor with compression artefacts resulting in a grainy and unfocused finish.

Frankly it looks a mess on my 32" Sony Bravia TV so I recommend avoiding this particular release and instead keep your eye out for the true widescreen, digitally remastered version of the film (which I believe is included in the the region 1 release of 2003 film "The Truth About Charlie")

Buffalo Ministation 1TB Portable Shock Resistant USB 2.0 Hard Drive with Data Encryption

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid if media player usage is your primary goal, 16 Aug. 2011
Sadly this drive was not compatible with the USB input on my TV or with my Xenta HD L100V Media Player. I've never encountered any issues with any other USB devices before. It appears that there is a hidden partition on the drive that emulates a read-only optical drive and this is what is causing the problem :o(

This partition CANNOT BE REMOVED by any means known to man. I have tried the HP USB Disk utility to no avail..it cannot see the emulated partition at all. I have trawled the internet and the Buffalo support forums and no solution has presented itself. In fact it appears the Buffalo are fully aware of this and not bothered by it.

At no point in their website spiel or user manual does it report the issue...so be warned.

If you are looking for a drive purely for data archiving or portability then it looks well made...but media streaming folks should avoid it!

I've returned mine :o(